Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #2,971 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No other explanation that the one I gave. Explain why high's don't get rolled off when using silicones rather than the foamies.

They might not be rolled off but I think it makes it more "artificial" sounding and more prone to siblance. I also think the tiny exit holes on silicones restrict the dynamics a bit. GR8 and TFP10 are the only IEM's I thought sounded better with silicone tips and I would say that is absolutely due to the larger opening at the end of the tip on those two (being wider bored nozzles).

I find tips and effect on sound a fascinating area. Trust me, I don't enjoy wearing foams for the hygienic reasons but I just find they sound most natural.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2,972 of 4,413
Hmm interesting. I did love the natural, fuller sound I was getting while using UM3Xs with the included comply tips....I have honestly never heard a live acoustic or classical performance but the sound seemed to be accurately replicated.

When I used silicons for the first time I was hearing all of the details that I missed while using comply tips; the micro detail was being snuffed out from the comply hangovers.

Silicons = brighter, lighter sound

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #2,973 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^So why the lack of treble when using comply's then? And I have just found out that if you take any comply (I originally did this with the long ones because they stuck out too far) and use a razor or something and cut it down to where there is NO overhang or covering of the material after the tube ends top end opens up nicely.

I've been using silicons since I decored the first old pair of comply's with the UM3Xs and switching back to the complys left a bad "sound in my ear"
tongue.gif

I sliced the end off to where the bore was flat with the comply material and everything opened up nicely. I get all of the comfort/isolation of the comply with 4/5s the treble of a silicon.

what a great idea, I must try this as I do prefer the more accurate (at least compared to my monitors) sound of the silicones, thanks

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #2,974 of 4,413
No problem. I was thinking of making a thread and posting this for people who didn't know yet but I'm too lazy/tired at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe tomorrow when I'm feeling productive, unless someone here wants to do it lol. But make sure that if they're ever too long (the long ones) (and I guess the regular ones too) to not cut it so the plastic is sticking out because it can hit the inside of your ears which doesn't feel too good lol.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #2,975 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^So why the lack of treble when using comply's then? And I have just found out that if you take any comply (I originally did this with the long ones because they stuck out too far) and use a razor or something and cut it down to where there is NO overhang or covering of the material after the tube ends top end opens up nicely.

I sliced the end off to where the bore was flat with the comply material and everything opened up nicely. I get all of the comfort/isolation of the comply with 4/5s the treble of a silicon.

Wouldn't that basically be the shorter sized comply?

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #2,976 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that basically be the shorter sized comply?

It may be. I have always felt the short to be a little bigger in circumference but perhaps not. I'll have to take a look.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2,977 of 4,413
I think it really just comes down to finding the right balance. A foam tip that provides a bit more bass but adding a little treble EQ or a silicone tip that appears to provide more treble detail but adding some bass EQ.

I did a bit more experimenting after the above several posts and seem to have found the BEST combination/formula for my ears.

Yes, the shorter comply does seem to brighten it up just a pinch. I WAS using the P-series larger supplied ones (the small supplied ones are too tiny for me). But I also have some large-sized black T-100 series complys. I am using those now with an unamped Nano on the "treble boost" setting and it is nothing short of miraculous. The sound is incredibly detailed top to bottom, it still has plenty of body and weight (thickness) and is very smooth sounding. No siblance. It's as good as I could imagine. Trumps every IEM I have ever owned.

(Ironically, I still prefer the larger P-series with W3 as the added distance between the end of the shorter nozzle and eardrum seem to have a positve affect. Many have said this as well.)

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,978 of 4,413
I'm ready purchase the UM3X but now they come out in May wit a removable cable UM3X Monitor with Removable Cable | Westone

Basically I don't know if I should buy the old um3x or just wait for this new 'version'.
I'm considering the positive and negative aspects about this new capability:
More connections is always worst / the connectors can break or give a bad connection
In other way, if the cable get damaged or rotten we can buy another one and switch.

What's your opinion about?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2,979 of 4,413
Hi all
I'm ready to purchase the UM3X, but now they come out in May with a removable cable. UM3X Monitor with Removable Cable | Westone

Basically I don't know if I should buy the old um3x or just wait for this new 'version'.
More connections is always worst / the connectors can break or give a bad connection
In other way, if the cable get damaged or rotten we can buy another one and switch.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #2,980 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiresMachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

You gotta be the first person on Head-Fi that has mentioned that or felt removable cables could actually be a negative. I agree with you whole-heartedly but I know some people always seem to have cable problems. Here's the way I look at it. Westone is known for virtually the best (microphonics and durability) cables in the business PLUS you get a 2 year warranty. If you tend to take pretty decent care with your stuff I would just buy the current ones and be done with it. Who knows how long you may wait for the new version.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2,981 of 4,413
I'd say that if you don't mind waiting, I don't see any harm in it. You get the possibility of custom cables (if you want to go that route) and not having to send your phones in over a broken cable.

The cable is amazing though, very sturdy but very soft. I love it.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #2,982 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta be the first person on Head-Fi that has mentioned that or felt removable cables could actually be a negative. I agree with you whole-heartedly but I know some people always seem to have cable problems. Here's the way I look at it. Westone is known for virtually the best (microphonics and durability) cables in the business PLUS you get a 2 year warranty. If you tend to take pretty decent care with your stuff I would just buy the current ones and be done with it. Who knows how long you may wait for the new version.

I also read on here a few days ago about the removable cables being a negative thing (530 v ue5 thread I think, someone discussing the 535).

I am waiting for the detachable cable version, but if the price of the hard-wired version comes down lower (quite pricey over here), then I may jump on them, as you're right about the cables

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #2,983 of 4,413
For now, thanks for your opinions
wink.gif

In fact, I think that the new um3x release can make the price of the old one comes down. They come out in May (left 2 weeks approximately). I think that I'll wait to see the new prices.
In other way, this new um3x bring with them a 'fit kit' with ten eartip options (the last one only brings 4 pairs) and a new 1/8 in. to 1/4 in. plug adapter and inline volume control. Is a plus!

I take care of my stuff, that's for sure, however, yes, I'm still thinking if the removable cable is a vantage. It supposed to be, lets see in the practice if it really is.
In ears are exposed to many pulls and tweaks..so I think that can affect the connection to the in-ear. Right, we can switch the cable then :p

Westone is a great company, and that left me relaxed, that's true
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #2,984 of 4,413
id wait for the removable, you will have the option in future to get even better cables.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #2,985 of 4,413
Arguable....the benefit of custom cables is negated due to the internal wiring of the drivers and crossover. Any 'special stuff' the custom cable has will get bypassed/limited to whatever grade of wire is inside the shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back