Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2,956 of 4,413
im wondering i can get it one someday
smily_headphones1.gif

for me it's too expensive

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #2,957 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you recommend me tips to go with the um3x? i dont really fancy the complys as they distort the music
frown.gif

You are hearing "distortion". Something is not right there....

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #2,960 of 4,413
The Comply foamies are open-celled, thus sound (typically the high frequencies) gets trapped the the thousands of tiny holes in the foam, so the sound would be 'warmer'. On the other hand, something like a Shure olive would sound different as the foam is closed off and a smooth, hole free surface is contacting your ear, hence making the lost of high frequencies minimal.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2,961 of 4,413
very good explanation and exactly what I hear when switching to complies from Westone silicon mushrooms. Is there a Shure Olive that is just slightly smaller in circumference than the Westone Tall Complies and fit the UM3X?

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,962 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very good explanation and exactly what I hear when switching to complies from Westone silicon mushrooms. Is there a Shure Olive that is just slightly smaller in circumference than the Westone Tall Complies and fit the UM3X?

Yep he's right. And... what size are you using? You could try the smalls unless that is already what you're using. If it is, there are only 3 sizes :/

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #2,963 of 4,413
I am using the small mushrooms and the tall Complies. I thought there was only one size Comply in the tall version. The short complies are a bit too large for my ears. I take it you mean the Shure olives come in three sizes.

Do they fit the um3x stem?

Has anyone compared the circumference of the olive to the tall comply?

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #2,967 of 4,413
I switched from short (supplied) complys to small shure olives. Both fits the UM3X stem. I don't know whether it's size or materials, but the Shures don't seal as consistently as the complys, so I'm going to try mediums.

Why not switch back to the complys you say? Because the Shure simply opened up what was a disappointing top end with the complys. I can see how the complys would be good for high volume stage work (the UM3X is designed as stage monitor of course), as they soak up some tiring high frequencies. But for what I'm using them for, the Shures are just better.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2,968 of 4,413
Perhaps it is my ear canals but I discern no difference in treble and generally find the comply better fitting over the olives.

I understand the open cell versus "coating" over the olives but I don't see how it should matter. They are compressed so the open cell is actually closed. And if you were have a 3D camera inside your ear canal I must think the affected tip portion inside your ear constitutes barely 10% (?) of the whole ear cavity volume. It should not be "soaking up" the treble frequencies.
Just my opinion of course.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2,969 of 4,413
^So why the lack of treble when using comply's then? And I have just found out that if you take any comply (I originally did this with the long ones because they stuck out too far) and use a razor or something and cut it down to where there is NO overhang or covering of the material after the tube ends top end opens up nicely.

I've been using silicons since I decored the first old pair of comply's with the UM3Xs and switching back to the complys left a bad "sound in my ear"
tongue.gif

I sliced the end off to where the bore was flat with the comply material and everything opened up nicely. I get all of the comfort/isolation of the comply with 4/5s the treble of a silicon.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2,970 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it is my ear canals but I discern no difference in treble and generally find the comply better fitting over the olives.

I understand the open cell versus "coating" over the olives but I don't see how it should matter. They are compressed so the open cell is actually closed. And if you were have a 3D camera inside your ear canal I must think the affected tip portion inside your ear constitutes barely 10% (?) of the whole ear cavity volume. It should not be "soaking up" the treble frequencies.
Just my opinion of course.

No other explanation that the one I gave. Explain why high's don't get rolled off when using silicones rather than the foamies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back