Westone UM3X Thread
Feb 12, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #2,881 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ice9mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what I used and they seem to work well. The inner diameter fits perfectly over the UM3x stem.

I did have to cut off the largest flange around the stem. Try to leave as much stem as possible so that the two smallest flanges have enough length to reach inside your ears.

Another thing you could try is just cutting off the smallest flange completely. Everyone's ears are different so you will have to experiment.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I will have to grab my er6i tips the next time I go home because I liked them the most, not finding them intrusive unlike many others. Also would like to say that I just got my um3x today and am blown away by them.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2,882 of 4,413
I switched from W3 to UM3X and loved it for many months but had a change of heart once I figured out how to use W3. I went back to W3 but turned the player bass EQ to off. In doing this it becomes a finely balanced IEM. Now, UM3X sounds a little bland and veiled. I even prefer W2 to UM3X mainly for the larger soundstage and a bit more clarity. But I still think UM3X has by far the best instrument separation of anything I have ever stuck in my ears.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2,883 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched from W3 to UM3X and loved it for many months but had a change of heart once I figured out how to use W3. I went back to W3 but turned the player bass EQ to off. In doing this it becomes a finely balanced IEM. Now, UM3X sounds a little bland and veiled. I even prefer W2 to UM3X mainly for the larger soundstage and a bit more clarity. But I still think UM3X has by far the best instrument separation of anything I have ever stuck in my ears.

Does anyone else agree? I thought i was set on gettin a pair of um3xs for trance and acoustic but now....i mostly listen to trance, but heard the w3's are fatiguing after a while. I tend to listen for 2-3 hours at a time...dunno which one to buy: w3 or um3x? Any input wud be appreciated.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2,884 of 4,413
I think the UM3X are not veiled at all. They have some really good quality bass too, and vocals on them are extremely clear. Very non-fatiguing sound.

Plus, the comfort (which also is a factor with 'fatigue') of these can't be beat!

I A-Bed them extensively before deciding on the UM3x.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2,885 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree 110% and was going to write something similar this morning myself. The UM3X are fine monitors and will have a place in many peoples keeper list for sure but in comparison to the W3's they just don't seem to sparkle enough for me. It's all about individual preference.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2,887 of 4,413
Yea, I certainly do not want to mis-lead anyone but I use all IEM's with comply tips so that is my barometer for comparison. Nothing else should matter.

I do not find W3 fatiguiing one bit. Not even close. ER4 was the only IEM I could say got fatiguing.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2,888 of 4,413
Posted this earlier but i guess this got missed...neways, can anyone comment on how um3x sounds with trance music vs w3...or perhaps just how um3x sound with trance genre? From tons of reading, i get the impression that since the um3xs are neutral, W3 may be better suited this genre. I thot i was set on buying um3x since i like crystal clear vocal/melodic trance but recent reading has me torn as ppl state that the w3 has super clear vocals as well. I mostly listen to trance(more often) and acoustic and I dunno would be best to buy nemore. let me know ur thots/experiences...

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #2,889 of 4,413
[Posted this earlier but i guess this got missed...neways, can anyone comment on how um3x sounds with trance music vs w3...or perhaps just how um3x sound with trance genre? From tons of reading, i get the impression that since the um3xs are neutral, W3 may be better suited this genre. I thot i was set on buying um3x since i like crystal clear vocal/melodic trance but recent reading has me torn as ppl state that the w3 has super clear vocals as well. I mostly listen to trance(more often) and acoustic and I dunno would be best to buy nemore. let me know ur thots/experiences...]

i would think um3x is better? trance can be tricky at times, the mid bump in W3 could kill your trance music by muddifying it with too much of it straight away. a neutral IEM is good because it lets the music shine for itself

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2,890 of 4,413
[Posted this earlier but i guess this got missed...neways, can anyone comment on how um3x sounds with trance music vs w3...or perhaps just how um3x sound with trance genre? From tons of reading, i get the impression that since the um3xs are neutral, W3 may be better suited this genre. I thot i was set on buying um3x since i like crystal clear vocal/melodic trance but recent reading has me torn as ppl state that the w3 has super clear vocals as well. I mostly listen to trance(more often) and acoustic and I dunno would be best to buy nemore. let me know ur thots/experiences...]

i would think um3x is better? trance can be tricky at times, the mid bump in W3 could kill your trance music by muddifying it with too much of it straight away. a neutral IEM is good because it lets the music shine for itself

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2,891 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by natty135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey bro, you can't post the exact same thing again and again

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #2,892 of 4,413
While I don't listen to trance per se, just some FSOL, Orb, Reich, etc., (along with lots of other genres) the UM3X are a more neutral iem. And I think you would like to experience what the engineer wanted you to hear. I have heard both and settled on the UM3X. That being said, lots of folks prefer the smile of the W3. Call it more bass or more sparkle of the W3, they are still a great phone.

The UM3X show more accurate and defined mids, tighter and more accurate bass and highs that are not tipped up, just about as close to neutral as the best iems. At least this has been my experience. You cannot go wrong with either in my opinion and if I had not heard the UM3X, I would be a happy W3 owner.

cheers

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2,893 of 4,413
From my reading, if you really want neutral, W2. Isn't it more neutral than both the UM3X and W3?

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2,894 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my reading, if you really want neutral, W2. Isn't it more neutral than both the UM3X and W3?

Certainly more than W3. W2 and UM3X are very neutral with W2 emphasis on mid and treble while UM3X emphasis is more bass and treble as another poster mentioned earlier.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,895 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posted this earlier but i guess this got missed...neways, can anyone comment on how um3x sounds with trance music vs w3...or perhaps just how um3x sound with trance genre? From tons of reading, i get the impression that since the um3xs are neutral, W3 may be better suited this genre. I thot i was set on buying um3x since i like crystal clear vocal/melodic trance but recent reading has me torn as ppl state that the w3 has super clear vocals as well. I mostly listen to trance(more often) and acoustic and I dunno would be best to buy nemore. let me know ur thots/experiences...

I listen to a bit of trance, not an amazing amount but my experience with the UM3X and electronic music has been generally positive.

The UM3X don't have an amazing amount of bass quantity so if you are looking for something to really thump out that head-rattling bass you might want to look elsewhere. That being said the quality of the bass is actually pretty good and while it doesn't have the resolution and texture of say the FX500's it really does a good job on the lower-end of the spectrum.

I feel that the UM3X are somewhat forward in the mid-range area so vocals really shine in electronic music if you are into that kind of thing. Another strength of the UM3X is the instrument separation you end up getting. I can clearly pick out the different instruments in the trance music and I find myself enjoying that analytical side to the music more and more. It really grew on me. Soundstage is decent, nothing to scoff at but not amazing either.

The high's are pretty good but at times they do feel harsh to me, this could be a side effect of me listening to my music at stupidly high volume levels though. Overall I think these are a great set of IEM's for trance if you aren't looking for a major emphasis on bass. If you have a lot of vocal tracks these IEM's will really shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back