Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,836 of 4,413
I just thought I would post about my recent warranty service with Westone. My UM3X developed some distortion in one channel. A phone call got me an RMA and form sent to me within minutes. Sent them in and in a few days had the repaired phones back in my hands.

I wish all companies would do such a good job. I am a happy camper!

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #2,837 of 4,413
Does anyone know how the um3x compare to the re0? I like the re0 but I do find the bass to be a tiny bit lacking, and from reading the posts it seems I can get that bass with the um3x. However, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the good qualities of the re0.

Also, can someone post how long the cord is from the earpieces to the Y intersection? It looks like there are some complaints about it being too short.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2,838 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time i've heard someone say Se530 is harsh haha. However, congratz for your UM3Xs! glad you like the sound of them.

I actually 2nd the comment about the SE530 sounding hardh and overpowering. I much prefer the Westone line for that exact reason. I tried Westone UM1, UM2, and Westone 3. Currently debating picking up a pair on UM3Xs to try them, but they go pretty quick on the sale forums.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,839 of 4,413
Does anyone use TX100 Complys (with wax-guard) with their UM3X? I bought them to replace the stock foams that came with the Westones and I am very happy with them. The TX100 enhances the clarity of the UM3X substantially imo. I've tried other tips in the past too - f.i. the Shure olives - but my sensitive ear canals don't bear any tips, only foams. The TX100 seem to be the ideal compromise for me: great treble and punchy bass. Highly recommended!

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2,841 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The filter over the exit hole of the TX-100 comply actually enhances the treble versus nothing obstructing the exit hole? That would seem strange for it to be that way?

Strangely enough they seem to do that to my ears.
regular_smile .gif
Really, it was the first thing I noticed when listening to music: there were details that I haven't heard before with the regular foams. Maybe other people that have used TX100 Complys can share their experiences with us.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2,842 of 4,413
hi everyone, i have a pair of um3x with long complies that came with them. i love it to death but they shrink over time. i have a cavity in the canal of my right ear. right after the shrinking i can hear a significant reduction in isolation and bass in the right (3 weeks).
does the tx-100 shrink too or is there a slight difference in material that doesn't allow it to shrink as much. i do hope i can find a solution to seal within my cavity because the canal itself is rather large, so stuff like shure olives simply aren't tight enough to seal (M) at least. long complies are awesome but it's too high maintanence if i have to swap them out everyime they shrink (3weeks)

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2,843 of 4,413
hi everyone, i have a pair of um3x with long complies that came with them. i love it to death but they shrink over time. i have a cavity in the canal of my right ear. right after the shrinking i can hear a significant reduction in isolation and bass in the right (3 weeks).
does the tx-100 shrink too or is there a slight difference in material that doesn't allow it to shrink as much. i do hope i can find a solution to seal within my cavity because the canal itself is rather large, so stuff like shure olives simply aren't tight enough to seal (M) at least. long complies are awesome but it's too high maintanence if i have to swap them out everyime they shrink (3weeks)

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #2,844 of 4,413
As I only have the TX100 Complys for a couple of days I can't guarantee you that they will last longer than regular foams. However, I believe they are sturdier than my previous foams. I needed to replace them each 4-5 weeks too, because I have a lot of earwax. With the TX100 I am pretty confident I'll be using them for at least two months. But of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2,845 of 4,413
oh boy...

I am about to meet up with Sam from MarcoPolo Presents.... in a few hours to purchase my first set of IEMs from Westone.

I have told him to bring both W3 and UM3X... haha and I still have not made up my mind. Maybe I will have to buy both and resell one of them -..-

They both seem like amazing IEMs and this is a big upgrade for me since I am moving up from Sennheiser CX300s (muddy madness)!

I guess I will let you guys know how it goes, any words of wisdom would be great.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2,847 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lootbag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh boy...

I am about to meet up with Sam from MarcoPolo Presents.... in a few hours to purchase my first set of IEMs from Westone.

I have told him to bring both W3 and UM3X... haha and I still have not made up my mind. Maybe I will have to buy both and resell one of them -..-

They both seem like amazing IEMs and this is a big upgrade for me since I am moving up from Sennheiser CX300s (muddy madness)!

I guess I will let you guys know how it goes, any words of wisdom would be great.

Tell him to bring the W2s as well, and save yourself a little cash. They are, to me, the best value (and I have owned all three). With the money you save on the W3s, you can get UM56 custom tips. Just a suggestion.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2,848 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lootbag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh boy...

Listen to lossless or better, no MP3 files to fully appreciate the differences. Try to listen to them in the environments you plan to use most. eg. Noisy, outdoors, walking etc.

And try a few tips to get the seal right.

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2,850 of 4,413
So I talked with Sam from marcopolo.ca for a while at a local McDs... ended up getting the W3, sorry UM3X guys!

I know I am missing out on somethings but I think the W3 would be more of a match for me at the moment haha...

First 10 minute listening impression... AMAZING!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back