Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #2,821 of 4,413
The UM3X is actually slightly smaller body and more importantly has a slightly longer stem which helps with fit issues.

Many people had problems sealing the W3 into their ears because the body of the IEM would butt up against your ear cavity before the short nozzle was fully inserted in your ear canal. Since I use the large complys it was never a problem for me but it was for many.

Go with Earphone Solutions !!

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #2,823 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X is actually slightly smaller body and more importantly has a slightly longer stem which helps with fit issues.

Many people had problems sealing the W3 into their ears because the body of the IEM would butt up against your ear cavity before the short nozzle was fully inserted in your ear canal. Since I use the large complys it was never a problem for me but it was for many.

Go with Earphone Solutions !!

Had that issue with the IE8's and had to get custom sleeves in the end. Just sold them as the Westone sound is more to my liking.

Thanks guys for the supplier names, I may try and get them closer to home. There is a seller in uk on e-bay selling them for about £220 with free delivery
biggrin.gif

Thanks again....

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #2,824 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They actually sound quite different. Remember UM3X is a true monitor so it has a very closed in up front presence.

W3 has a much larger soundstage but UM3X has much better instrument separation...truly incredible IMHO and perhaps its best feature.

BASS: Both are very adequate. W3 has larger bass (almost too much for some) but UM3X is still large, tight and (perhaps more) accurate.

MIDRANGE: UM3X is superior, especially for vocals. It's just about perfect where W3 is slightly recessed creating that huge soundstage.

TREBLE: W3 is airier and crisper. I actually prefer it but some claim siblance with certain fits. UM3X is still pretty detailed. Slightly rolled off but still plenty for most people. Very non-fatiguing.

W3 is probably the more exciting one, more of a wow factor where UM3X is more accurate. The monitor'ish aspect of UM3X sounds a little congested to some people. W3 sounds more wide open and expansive.

I actually like them about equal but with perhaps a slight nod to W3. I currently have both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be careful. Spyro does indeed give us many gems of wisdom but the extent of the differences, which he very adeptly described, may not actually be that great. The Westones will still very much sound like each other more than earphones of any other brand that I've tried (TF10, CK100, IE8). I personally had to do a fairly extensive A/B to distinguish their differences (but it was kinda noisy where I auditioned).

YMMV

I'm one of those that agrees with Spyro's impressions of the two, and it wasn't extremely difficult to recognize the differences but my iMod/Vcaps/P-51 is very resolving.

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #2,825 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll guarantee you your next emaill will be from Kyle, asking all the details needed for replacement. Then he'll ask for you to "print this email out" and mail it along with the Um3X for repair. There you go, job done.

Well Westone's customer service have left me underwhelmed so far. I've emailed their customer services twice over the past couple of days and I've still yet to receive a reply.

I'm guesing that there must be a good reason why I've yet to hear back from them. I've been very happy with Westone in the past, and love their earphones for comfort and SQ, but the lack of a response to my emails is starting to get very worrying.

I've just tried completing their online contact form ... hopefully I'll get some response within the next day or two, otherwise I'm an ex-Westone customer.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #2,827 of 4,413
Make sure you're emailing to music@westone.com, and not westone@westone.com. I typically get a quicker response from music@westone.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Westone's customer service have left me underwhelmed so far. I've emailed their customer services twice over the past couple of days and I've still yet to receive a reply.

I'm guesing that there must be a good reason why I've yet to hear back from them. I've been very happy with Westone in the past, and love their earphones for comfort and SQ, but the lack of a response to my emails is starting to get very worrying.

I've just tried completing their online contact form ... hopefully I'll get some response within the next day or two, otherwise I'm an ex-Westone customer.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #2,828 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of those that agrees with Spyro's impressions of the two, and it wasn't extremely difficult to recognize the differences but my iMod/Vcaps/P-51 is very resolving.

Thanks Larry,

Which do you prefer and why? I already have W3's and love them to bits. Is it a case of ''as good'' but ''different''.

I have a blindin' deal on the table from the Gearlab and just have ichy ears for something new.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #2,829 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you're emailing to music@westone.com, and not westone@westone.com. I typically get a quicker response from music@westone.com.

I've just sent off a message via their online contact form so I'll leave it a day to see if that gets any response. I don't want to send several messages, via different channels, all at the same time as it might just get confusing if I end up getting responses from more than one person.

If I've not heard anything by tomorrow morning I'll give music@westone.com a try.

Cheers for the advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the telephone. They are in Colorado Springs.

I'm in the UK. If I still don't hear anything back from Westone by the end of the week, and after 4 seperate attempts at contacting them via emails, then I'll have to try calling them.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #2,830 of 4,413
Quote:

I've just sent off a message via their online contact form so I'll leave it a day to see if that gets any response. I don't want to send several messages, via different channels, all at the same time as it might just get confusing if I end up getting responses from more than one person.

If I've not heard anything by tomorrow morning I'll give music@westone.com a try.

Cheers for the advice.

I'm in the UK. If I still don't hear anything back from Westone by the end of the week, and after 4 seperate attempts at contacting them via emails, then I'll have to try calling them.

How much did you pay for the UM3X? Did you source locally? I got mine via eBay there is a guy in London selling UM3X and the price reflects the USD with no VAT charge.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #2,831 of 4,413
I bought them from Earphone Solutions for $334 ($379 minus a 12% discount code) as I wanted to make sure I was buying from an authorised dealer.

Including postage and VAT I only paid a little bit more than the UK seller on eBay charges, but by using an authorised dealer I thought I'd have the protection of the 2 year warranty.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #2,833 of 4,413
Quote:

Make sure you are emailing music@westone.com. The westone@westone address can get bounced around a little. Kyle usually gets on email within 24 hours. He was out a few days late last week, so I know he was playing a little catch up.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2,834 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you are emailing music@westone.com. The westone@westone address can get bounced around a little. Kyle usually gets on email within 24 hours. He was out a few days late last week, so I know he was playing a little catch up.

Cheers p0wderh0und23 ... I'll give music@westone.com a try now.

Edit ...

I got an email from Kyle at Westone and I'll be sending the earphones off for repair first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm relying on my backup IE8s at the moment, and they're a fine pair of earphones, but I'm already missing my UM3x like crazy. Sometimes you don't realise how much you love something till you lose it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back