Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2,386 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One vote for the Shure soft flex, in my case medium. I have used both the modded Comply large and the bi-flange, and recently discovered the soft flex based on some other users' experiences.

I got my UM3Xs and have been trying every tip in the shure fit kit from earphone solutions and also some modded shure tri-flanges. And I was about to give up as none of them sounded just right. But thanks to you, tstarn06, I tried the shure soft flexes one more time (large are the only ones that seal well for me). And now I have a sense of what the UM3X are capable of, although I still have to eq the treble to get enough for my taste. Maybe the next step is to try the customs.

Thanks for all the times you mentioned the soft flex tips.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2,388 of 4,413
I've found a couple of suppliers selling the Shure PA758 Soft Flex tips in the UK. Would it be best to try Medium and Large sizes?

I did try my Large Complys earlier. Not bad.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2,389 of 4,413
Just ordered the UM3X for around $280 after Bing cashback, hopefully that was a good deal. Can't wait to get em!

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #2,390 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered the UM3X for around $280 after Bing cashback, hopefully that was a good deal. Can't wait to get em!

Do you mind giving me the link?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #2,391 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kokyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mind giving me the link?

1.) Go to Bing
2.) Search for "Nintendo Wii"
3.) Click on the "Nintendo Wii - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices - Bing cashback" link on the top
4.) Now that you're on eBay, search for "UM3X" instead of "Nintendo Wii"
5.) Click on the "WESTONE UM3X / Free Global Ship / Warranty / No VAT/Tax" $317 link. Make sure the top still says "Microsoft cashback: 8%, Must use Buy It Now and Paypal" when you checkout.

You should get 8% cashback if you qualify (shipping to a US address, etc). The amount will show up in your Paypal account 60 days later. This also works for all other BIN items on eBay...

EDIT: Why did it automatically format my links... pssh.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #2,392 of 4,413
Ha akwok - did exactly the same thing - hoping they come in soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #2,393 of 4,413
Got my UM3Xs and some NE6s this week and been listening to both.
My overall impression of the UM3X is very positive but I think where it really shines is its dynamic range. Transients really have a lot of punch to them and they really transmit a lot of energy in the lower end. Possibly too much energy. I keep turning the volume down.

As for the clarity it does an excellent job of separating the registers and articulating all the formants and harmonics. I can see why some call them monitoring headphones.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2,394 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the soft flex sleeves but they have a small sweet spot. Can't really move around.

I have settled on Ety tri-flanges which are different than the Shure ones because there is no stalk. It is already cut flush to the bottom of the largest flange just as is. They sound great, they are comfy and they stay put.

After further analysis I am going to retract this statement about the Ety tri-flanges. While it is not a bad sound I think they make the sound slightly congested compared to complys. Perhaps it is the 3-driver music trying to get out of that tiny exit hole? I still think it is foamies but as someone else mentioned, don't push them all the way in (like Shures and Etys). Push them in "just enough" to start hearing that bass.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2,395 of 4,413
Quote:

Then hope that (1) you've bought from an authorized dealer and/or (2) they're covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #2,396 of 4,413
Ah, I don't know what to do. After having received my refund of my PFE, I had decided to get the UM3X. But the ATH-CK100 is so.. um, attractive?
smily_headphones1.gif
I could get the UM3X + Fit Kit for €250 or the CK100 for €280. And I haven't found many comparisons. I'm just worried about the ath-midrange and the smooth UM3X treble. And more, but that's what popped up in my mind, right now. After all, I'm coming from a PFE with gray filters. Oh well, I'll just search for more comparisons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I just found a CK100 seller for $380+$12 shipping costs to Europe, which is €260?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2,397 of 4,413
I assumed the CK100s have good clarity and treble, then, I think you may miss the treble quantity with UM3Xs. Again, you will gain other goodness from the UM3Xs, such as very good bass, mid and imaging.

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #2,398 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I don't know what to do. After having received my refund of my PFE, I had decided to get the UM3X. But the ATH-CK100 is so.. um, attractive?
smily_headphones1.gif
I could get the UM3X + Fit Kit for €250 or the CK100 for €280. And I haven't found many comparisons. I'm just worried about the ath-midrange and the smooth UM3X treble. And more, but that's what popped up in my mind, right now. After all, I'm coming from a PFE with gray filters. Oh well, I'll just search for more comparisons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I just found a CK100 seller for $380+$12 shipping costs to Europe, which is €260?
smily_headphones1.gif

I've A/B'd both (only have the UM3X) and I found the CK100 to sound somewhat constrained compared to the UM3X, almost metallic. Don't remember too much else about it but I do remember that the UM3X beat it hands down. Just up the treble a bit with some EQing and the UM3X sounds considerably better.

Which Fit Kit are you getting? Just find some shure soft flex triple flanges or save money for the inevitable comply replacements and you're set. Consider the UM56 too.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #2,399 of 4,413
Quote:

...Click on the "WESTONE UM3X / Free Global Ship / Warranty / No VAT/Tax" $317 link. Make sure the top still says "Microsoft cashback: 8%, Must use Buy It Now and Paypal" when you checkout.

You should get 8% cashback if you qualify (shipping to a US address, etc). The amount will show up in your Paypal account 60 days later. This also works for all other BIN items on eBay...

I'm not getting your math; how does it come to $280?

$317 - 8%($25.36) = $291.64

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2,400 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've A/B'd both (only have the UM3X) and I found the CK100 to sound somewhat constrained compared to the UM3X, almost metallic. Don't remember too much else about it but I do remember that the UM3X beat it hands down. Just up the treble a bit with some EQing and the UM3X sounds considerably better.

Which Fit Kit are you getting? Just find some shure soft flex triple flanges or save money for the inevitable comply replacements and you're set. Consider the UM56 too.

Here's the website of the fit kit: REPLACEMENT TIPS FOR IN EAR MONITORS
They have included a pair of triple flanges. I do not like comply, because it has to be replaced, so I'd go with the silicone triple/single flanges UM56: I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get them. Although I'd like to get them
smily_headphones1.gif

What bakhtiar assumed about the CK100 and UM3X, is what I'm assuming too. I'm leaning towards the UM3x, but googleli's comparison has made me doubting again. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back