Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #2,342 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which one in this link is the soft flex sleeve people use with UM3X let me know plan to try it
shure soft flex

The one for the E2, going by sight. I use mediums. But someone should affirm that here, since I got mine via the W3 fit kit.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2,343 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which one in this link is the soft flex sleeve people use with UM3X let me know plan to try it
shure soft flex

what tstarn06 said. the others are the Ultra Soft Flex, which may or may not fit the UM3X, but i haven't seen any reference of it in this thread.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2,344 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, qusp and HPA. The CSR from Westone said they must have been bored improperly, but now it seems more like a hit or miss deal (since some have had no problems, but I am certainly not alone). Is there any way to mod them to get the inside a little wider?

I don't feel like going back and getting new impressions, TBH.

What did you do qusp to get them to stay on?

The S4s do have a ridge on them, but they come off those too. Doh!

I don't know if this would be worth trying, but I have a pair of silicone Westone eartips that were made for Etymotics. But since I no longer have the Etys, I decided to try and fit them to the REO iems I am enjoying. So I took a drill bit (not attached to the drill) slightly larger than the tube on the REO and turned it by hand inside the hole of the silicone eartips where the headphones are inserted until it was just large enough to fit the wider tube of the REOs. I had to do this a couple of times before it was just right for the REOs, but it sounds like you may only want to open the hole a tiny bit wider.

It would be pretty easy to overdo it, so you might want to go really slow and just shave a little bit, then try your headphones again and see if they stay in. Also maybe try it first with a drill bit the same size as the hole is already, so that the cutting edge on the bit is just slightly shaving the inside of the hole as you turn it. And I would also only try this if the alternative was to have them redone, because if it did not work or you opened the hole up too wide by mistake, then you would be getting the new custom eartips anyways.

Unfortunately for me even though I got the REOs to fit (I also had to carve out a space for the body of the REOs with a pocket knife) they did not sound good through the tips which were specifically tuned to Etymotics. But I had no use for them anyways since I do not plan on buying Etys again.

Anyways the drill bit worked well to widen the hole.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2,345 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Olives are black foamies from Shure, hence the nickname. The model # is PA910. I happen to be selling a bag of 5 pair, under cost.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/fs...pa910m-450603/

The soft flex sleeves, which I am using along with my UM56, are more grey colored, made of silicone and rounded, not cone shaped like the olives.

Some love the olives with the UM3X, some the flex. I prefer the latter, but if you want to try the former, I have some.

Thanks, tstarn; I think I'll try the soft flex first. I may get back to you!

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2,346 of 4,413
For those of you using the Lisa III with the Westones, what kind of adaptor are you using? None of the mini-1/4" adaptors I have around seem to give a firm seat.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2,347 of 4,413
I thought that I was ready to pull the trigger on these. But while re-reading this thread I am concerned about the number of build quality issues.

Can anyone who has bought a pair recently comment on the build quality of their pair?

Have the quality control issues (rattling components, poor fit and finish, excessive glue, cable issues, etc) been addressed?

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2,348 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that I was ready to pull the trigger on these. But while re-reading this thread I am concerned about the number of build quality issues.

Can anyone who has bought a pair recently comment on the build quality of their pair?

Have the quality control issues (rattling components, poor fit and finish, excessive glue, cable issues, etc) been addressed?

Yep.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #2,352 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep.

In my case I've never seen a Westone with any flaws or defects.

Also, if you are wondering, I think I decided to keep my new W3 that replaced my lost pair. I do still plan to acquire a UM3X someday, for when when I need to compare to one in my reviews - but it's kinda like does someone really need both the HD600 and HD650, or both the GS-1000 and PS-1000, or Stax O2 Mk1 and O2 Mk2, etc. Some would say yes, hence my need for a UM3X too...
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #2,353 of 4,413
I actually had to get mine replaced once the shell was not fully concealed at the part where the cable stem goes into the shell and had a little small hole

the new one's great no problems so far

good thing I got it replaced instantly from the authorized dealer I bought it from, great service!

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #2,354 of 4,413
I actually had to get mine replaced once the shell was not fully concealed at the part where the cable stem goes into the shell and had a little small hole

the new one's great no problems so far

good thing I got it replaced instantly from the authorized dealer I bought it from, great service!

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #2,355 of 4,413
Mine was inspected this September. Only build quality issue that I'm facing is the unwinding of the helical cable at certain points. I simply squeezed the two cables together and all is well for now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back