Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2,251 of 4,413
Just got back from getting my impressions for the UM56 at the audiologist.

Interestingly, she said my canals are VERY narrow. I guess that explains why the Complys would never work for me. They never seemed to expand inside my canal after insertion and the foam would frequently be collapsed around the end of the tip closest to my eardrum - now I know why!

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #2,252 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use triple flanges ( Actually modified to bi flange) from Etymotic. However now they ship the gray ones. I bought 2 sets last year and they have still lasted for me. So to answer your question ETymotic triple flanges work on UM2/Um3x so do the ones from Shure

excellent... thanks for the info.

i have a pack of the newer gray tips from Ety too; i quite like them, actually. i'm psyched that they fit the UM3X... it makes my purchasing decision much easier.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2,254 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaterator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone knows whether the new batch of UM3X uses the same cable and jack as the Westone 1. The cable is different.

My UM3x that I just received a couple of weeks ago does not use the same cable or plug as the Westone 1 I tried out last month. The Westone 1 has a tighter (better) wound cable and the plug also fits into the headphone jack on my iPhone 3G case much better as it is narrower.

For both the UM3x and Westone 3 that I'm trying now, I had to purchase a headphone adapter that they sold for the 1st generation iPhones with the recessed headphone jack. Otherwise, they don't quite fit into my iPhone's Incase Slider case with their bulky plugs.

headphoneadapter_1.jpg

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #2,255 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My UM3x that I just received a couple of weeks ago does not use the same cable or plug as the Westone 1 I tried out last month. The Westone 1 has a tighter (better) wound cable and the plug also fits into the headphone jack on my iPhone 3G case much better as it is narrower.

Could really do with a tighter wound cable on my UM3X. I am at a complete loss how a braided cable can be considered better than a nice flexible single strand cable like what the IE8s have. Microphonics aren't any better (sometimes worse) and the darn thing has a tendency to get unwound when under pressure or when slightly curled.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2,256 of 4,413
Quote:

For both the UM3x and Westone 3 that I'm trying now, I had to purchase a headphone adapter that they sold for the 1st generation iPhones with the recessed headphone jack. Otherwise, they don't quite fit into my iPhone's Incase Slider case with their bulky plugs.

The W3/UM3X plugs do fit in my Mophie Juice Pack Air case, in case anyone cares.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2,258 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X fits in my Incase Slider for the 3GS...just barely though... I do wish it was just 2 mm smaller in diameter though >.<

Yeah, I suppose mine technically "fits" but it doesn't seem to go in as far as it should. Plus the plastic around the jack is quite smooshed against the case. That's why I got the extension.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2,260 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has a problem with the silicone tips slipping off the um3x too easily? I have nearly lost mine a few times and had to go hunting for it once by retracing my steps.

I had a Shure black foam stay in my ear when I took off the UM3Xs. My wife gingerly pulled it out with her eyebrow tweezers and chastised me. The right sound tube on my UM3Xs has a slightly narrower diameter than the left. These are the only IEMs I've had where this happened.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2,261 of 4,413
Just pulled the trigger tonight. Stay tuned.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #2,262 of 4,413
Quote:

Hopefully Westone update their products with the new jack and cable as it is so much better (and neat). The 3.5mm jack looks much nicer too. My friend complains that his Westone UM3X braided cable feels loose and fragile.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2,263 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaterator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully Westone update their products with the new jack and cable as it is so much better (and neat). The 3.5mm jack looks much nicer too. My friend complains that his Westone UM3X braided cable feels loose and fragile.

The cables are working their way though the entire product line. The new jack will only be on the Westone line, not the UM's.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,264 of 4,413
Received my UM3X for a few days. Prior to my purchase, I was debating between the W3 and the UM3X. I'm definitely not very experienced in high end audio gears (started off with crappy sony/ipod headphones, moved to Um1, UM2, SE530, and now the UM3X. My initial impression is that understandably from reading all the comments, that it lacks a "wow" factor. I felt the wow factor when I moved from the UM1 to the UM2, but the UM3X, based on the limited time I had with it, is that...its not very exciting. I just bought the Westone Fit Kit and will try out the different tips. So far, I've used a modded tri-flang, long comply, short comply, and the ETY tri-flang on it. I'm wondering if I made the right decision in getting the UM3X instead of the Westone 3(which I assume to be a more "commercial" product aimed for non-musicians).

Anyways, a side note on Westone's customer service. Its simply AMAZING. I have not experienced the level of service from any other company in my life. Without going into details, I was asking a question about one of the accessories that is available for their headphones. They offered to send it to me free of charge. Mind you, the part that was send to me likely cost next to nothing to make, but they send me the part as an International urgent priority FedEx package. I figure the shipping must costs them an arm and a leg! I just love these guys.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2,265 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by avx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...My initial impression is that understandably from reading all the comments, that it lacks a "wow" factor. I felt the wow factor when I moved from the UM1 to the UM2, but the UM3X, based on the limited time I had with it, is that...its not very exciting.

could you elaborate on what "wow factor" means to you? does the music sound distant and uninvolving compared to your previous cans? are you looking for more bass impact?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back