Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,236 of 4,413
Just got a pair of these from another forum member...

I'm impressed.

I recently got the Triple.Fi 10 testing out some of the top end IEMs. It was a little off-putting for some of the qualities I'm looking for. They're likable and do certain things really well, but they also differed in a lot of characteristics I preferred. The UM3X is try #2. Initial impressions are very favorable. They hit right on a lot of characteristics I look for like dynamics, depth of stage, and a natural, realistic sound. The TF10 does do deep bass better and does better with locational cues placing things in very exact places which the UM3X does a little more vaguely.

I own Yuin's OK1 bud which is pretty outstanding. Initial impressions make me think of the UM3X as a very similar sounding IEM, but slightly warm instead of slightly bright in tone.

These things are very efficient, something I also noticed with the TF10. I run them through my 2Move amp on low gain and barely use any volume.

I could do without the midbass bump. It's a little unnatural in an otherwise really well balanced earphone. Maybe tip selection will play a roll in that. I'm not sure. I'm using the short, I assume stock foam tips. the long tips may show a different sound. I also have some Shure Olives I just bought.

Edit: Just put on some Olives

The midbass emphasis smoothed out. The coated foam also doesn't soak up the top end like the memory foam does, so the upper end isn't so soften.

It sound pretty good with the Olive tips, well balanced. I think the midbass is still just a little emphasized giving a slightly bloated presentation to upper bass information and on the bottom end of vocals. It's otherwise really, really good. The TF10 still does low bass information more robustly. The UM3X just seems to roll off on the very bottom end.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #2,237 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for some definitive advice about moving from Grado RS-2 to an iem. I sold the RS-2s to get the HF-2, big mistake, as I thought the former did everything so well. Now I am looking for a great iem to cover everything. It seems Westone is a good option and either the "3" or the UM3x would fit the bill. I have heard that the 3 is warm, too trebley, and too bassy. I have heard the UM3x is not involving and warm amoung many, many other things. I am not a "warm" fan and like a crisp presentation but with deep bass, not overpowering or too round. I don't like the ergonomics of the Triple-fi. And don't really like the initial reviews of the JH5pros. Any advice for Grado, but not hf-2, fans would be great.

I took the W3 in trade for my IE8 after listening to both the W3 and UM3X with Complys tips at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. I do not hear either as being too warm or too trebly, where the UM3X basically has more midrange detail and presence but both have strong bass (with the tips I used).

I think the W3 would be closer to the HF-1/RS-1 and the UM3X would be closer to the HF-2/RS-2 in terms of more forward mids. This is with the Grados fully burned in. The HF-2 NEED 200-250 hours to get the bass under control and smooth out the highs.

The problem in comparing them to Grados is that I had APS V3 cable on my HF-1, RS-2, and RS-1 and it brightens them up enough so that I can get away with flats for the extra bass without losing too much treble (except RS-2 had too much mids with flats and did best with bowls). My comparisons with stock HF-2 with bowls are vs those re-cabled phones. I would add that the UM3X have more treble energy than a stock RS-2 and closer to that of a HF-2 with bowls.

If you like the RS-2 over the HF-2, I am confused, but the UM3X remind me of the HF-2's rich transparent mids with a crisper more detailed treble, tight controlled bass, and no sibilance or midbass hump.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2,238 of 4,413
Thanks, my friend. I think it will be the UM3X then. I just found the HF-2 a bit on the dark side, a little flat sounding compared to the RS-2. For me, there was a crispness in the presentation that just wasn't there in the HF-2. I am looking for a higher end iem that brings this back without sacrificing a deep bass, I am talking about you ER-4S.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2,239 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, my friend. I think it will be the UM3X then. I just found the HF-2 a bit on the dark side, a little flat sounding compared to the RS-2. For me, there was a crispness in the presentation that just wasn't there in the HF-2. I am looking for a higher end iem that brings this back without sacrificing a deep bass, I am talking about you ER-4S.

You'll want the UM3X which is closer to my old re-cabled RS-2 and has the crispness you want with deep bass and rich mids.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2,240 of 4,413
Received my Westone Fit Kit today and I'm glad to announce that the muffle that I've grown accustomed to in the past two months has been greatly reduced. This is with the help of the medium silicone sleeves that came in the pack.

For the few users experiencing similar issues: I suggest to try as many tips you can before deciding to sell these marvelous phones off. Took time but I'm glad I was patient. They finally sound like the $300+ I've paid them for. I'm pretty happy.

[./photo]

Looking to purchase more of the same tips. If you know where to get them, please tell me. They look virtually identical to the Shure Flex Sleeves but I'm not sure how similar they really are.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2,241 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Westone Fit Kit today and I'm glad to announce that the muffle that I've grown accustomed to in the past two months has been greatly reduced. This is with the help of the medium silicone sleeves that came in the pack.

For the few users experiencing similar issues: I suggest to try as many tips you can before deciding to sell these marvelous phones off. Took time but I'm glad I was patient. They finally sound like the $300+ I've paid them for. I'm pretty happy.

Looking to purchase more of the same tips. If you know where to get them, please tell me. They look virtually identical to the Shure Flex Sleeves but I'm not sure how similar they really are.

They're pretty close the the Shures. Not identical, but very close. I have both and I doubt you'd notice any difference in your ears.

For the money you're spending on tips, you could simply get one that is perfectly molded for your ear however. That's what I'm doing. I'm going in for my impressions for the UM56 tips tomorrow. Under $100 out the door.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #2,242 of 4,413
The stock foams did seem to somewhat readily get in the way of the port. As well, it noticeably soaked up some of the top end making treble information slightly quiet. I plopped on Shure Olives and all is well. I love the Olives.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #2,243 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock foams did seem to somewhat readily get in the way of the port. As well, it noticeably soaked up some of the top end making treble information slightly quiet. I plopped on Shure Olives and all is well. I love the Olives.
tongue.gif

For both of my W3 and UM3x, Shure Olives are my favorites! I don't really know why Westone only provided UM3x with comply. That make serious illusion to the performance of UM3x

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #2,244 of 4,413
Idk... Long complys are pretty darn good IMO and so are modded triple (to double) flanges. The Small comply tips are pretty bad. However, neither comply muffles the sound. I think i got lucky with nice and straight canals

Haven't tried olives.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #2,245 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been an Ety ER4P/S owner for about 5 yrs now... the left cable finally shorted a couple of months ago, and i'm getting a twinge of upgraditis for the first time in ages.

the UM3X sound like they may be the ticket. i don't have the battery power on my laptop to read through all 149 pages, so i'm being lazy and asking a question that may have already been answered (sue me
tongue.gif
)...

do Ety triple-flange tips fit on the UM3X? i hate foamies, and i'm actually a fan of the deep-insertion of the ety tips... great seal, great sound. if not... are there deep-sitting triple-flange tips that fit on the UM3X?

TIA!

quoting myself just in case anyone has a quick answer... TIA.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #2,246 of 4,413
Quote:

Yes there are triple flanges which fit onto the UM3X. Not sure which company they're from though.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,248 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has a problem with the silicone tips slipping off the um3x too easily? I have nearly lost mine a few times and had to go hunting for it once by retracing my steps.

If you're using the westone tips they really shouldn't be slipping. I don't think its possible for the sound tube to be that narrow.

Can anyone recommend a good DAC to use with the UM3X besides the D10? Can't seem to find one second hand.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2,249 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using the westone tips they really shouldn't be slipping. I don't think its possible for the sound tube to be that narrow.

Can anyone recommend a good DAC to use with the UM3X besides the D10? Can't seem to find one second hand.

pico does quite well with um3x.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #2,250 of 4,413
Quote:

I use triple flanges ( Actually modified to bi flange) from Etymotic. However now they ship the gray ones. I bought 2 sets last year and they have still lasted for me. So to answer your question ETymotic triple flanges work on UM2/Um3x so do the ones from Shure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back