Westone UM3X Thread
May 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #736 of 4,413
ckhirnigs113
Thank for the comparison
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's really makes me think twice, trice to purchase UM3X
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do enjoying PFEs + iBasso D10 very much, no EQ, no boost, and still PFEs provides me very clean and detailed through the spectrums. Yeah, a bit more bass quantity should makes it perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

But, everybody has it's own sound prefereneces. Some like bass quantty, some like bigger soundstage, some like details, .... I joined head-fi because, I really like to know how everbody enjoys their listening, and to find my own sound preferences
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #737 of 4,413
Some very interesting posts re the PFEs. I recently sold mine, and am on the path to checking out the UM3Xs. But all along, I felt the PFEs, when amped properly, were up there with the IE8s, W3s, etc. As some folks are noting here, much of the top-tier "debate" is irrelevant and based on listening preference. I am happy to hear the UM3X is similar to the PFEs with more bass, etc. Plus, there is always the chance I will buy a new iteration of the PFEs down the road, considering they are going to release some enhancements, including a different cable, in their next model.

May 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #738 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please dont take this the wrong way, because it is not meant to insult as people have different preferences and thats totally cool and understandable. but....ermm... it seems that you actually prefer an unnatural; overly bright and U shaped presentation of frequencies. this type of sound does show off detail in strings; some percusion and overall detail in classical, but it is certainly not natural. the soundstage on TF10 is also perceived as wide because of this U shape, it makes them sound more expansive (although to me it seemed rather cavernous); like the performers were holding a concert in a canyon (or concert hall I guess); rather than the slightly more intimate presentation that comes with using a headphone with a fairly flat response. also I recomend putting the TF10 away for a while and letting your ears/brain adjust (burn-in) to the sound of UM3X. IEMs like TF10 and W3 have more wow factor because of this tilted FR curve, but I certainly got rather sick of the TF10 because of the tilted and IMO unnatural highs.

Absolutely none taken. It's obviously a personal choice and preference. Having said that, I may be starting to adjust to the UM3X sound signature. I guess I just enjoy the 'clarity' of the TF.

May 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #739 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sooby77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No UM3X bashing meant here, but I was going back and forth between UM3X and my Triple.Fi and my best description is this. The UM3X sounded as if I have stuffed up ears, you know like when you have a cold. The TF was just sparkly, clear, and the soundstage just breathe... wide and nice.

Of course, this is purely my preference. And yes, I am rather disappointed. I listen to mostly classical, a bit of pop here and there. But I would say 95% are all classical. My gear is Cowon A2.

I felt this way when i first got my um2's and I understand why many people will feel this way. I actually preferred using my $35 fx66's with my sony a728, but within the first week my ears got used to their sound signature as cliche as that sounds. I have actually been trying to train my ears to adjust and appreciate different sound signatures. I normally use my um2's and sony a728 with its eq on but lately i have been listening to it with eq off and to be honest I like both sound signatures for different reasons. With eq on my um2's feel more dynamic and with eq off they are more balanced, transparent, neutral, and natural. The um2's scale really well with eq and I assume that the um3x is the same so you could possibly go for a more brighter sound signature if you really wanted to. I also own the PFE's and use them amped with my sansa clip, and that was my favorite setup for a while, but i have really grown a great appreciation for the um2's neutrality, it just took a long time for my ears to adjust to it. With that said, the um3x's will be my next pair of phones and will replace my um2's.

May 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #740 of 4,413
It has been about 20 days since i got my UM3x and i can tell you they sound much better than the first day i got them and now i listen to even lower volume than before. Call it burn call it placebo but they really sound different than before. Last night i was listening in my bed at Volume 2 , the treble was still so clear i could distinguish each instrument and bass was there also which was not the case with my UM2s . I was completely blown away. The separation of instruments is excellent and vocals are magnificent But the star is the clear and non fatiguing treble. Westone has hit a home run with this. The WOW effect is back.

Also another realization, the small complys sound better than bi-flanges IMO which was my earlier defacto standard. I modified the long complys by cutting them to same size as the small ones.

May 25, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #741 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been about 20 days since i got my UM3x and i can tell you they sound much better than the first day i got them and now i listen to even lower volume than before. Call it burn call it placebo but they really sound different than before. Last night i was listening in my bed at Volume 2 , the treble was still so clear i could distinguish each instrument and bass was there also which was not the case with my UM2s . I was completely blown away. The separation of instruments is excellent and vocals are magnificent But the star is the clear and non fatiguing treble. Westone has hit a home run with this. The WOW effect is back.

Also another realization, the small complys sound better than bi-flanges IMO which was my earlier defacto standard. I modified the long complys by cutting them to same size as the small ones.

This is good news, and you are listening to the UMX3 unamped?

May 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #742 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is good news, and you are listening to the UMX3 unamped?

Yes .. With my Sonys and headphone out i couldn't see much difference with an amp. However i do EQ it. Sony is a very good Mp3 player ( next to Rio Karma IMO) and all my Mp3s are 256 Kbps VBR. So i am really happy with the purchase. So far the max volume i used was 6 that was in noisy environment. These sound incredible

PC

May 26, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #743 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes .. With my Sonys and headphone out i couldn't see much difference with an amp. However i do EQ it.

What type of EQing do you find necessary with your UM3X?

May 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #744 of 4,413
The UMX3 is 56 ohms. That strikes me as a high impedance for an IEM. I intend to use these phones with an unamped 2nd generation Ipod Touch. Would that drive these phones sufficiently for them to perform well or would they be too under powered from this source? The SE530 which I am also considering is 36 ohms. Might this be a more efficient match with the Ipod Touch?

May 26, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #746 of 4,413
shouldnt be a problem as they have a very high input sensitivity.

Sensitivity measures the amount of sound per mw generated.
And the impedance measures how much resistance the iem gives to the power coming in.

Lower the sensitivity, the more mW required for a certain db level.
The lower the impedance the more mW can reach the iem to create the db level which the sensitivity determines will come from that electrical power.

Hence you can balance high sensitivity with high impedance and be the same as a low sensitivity can with low impedance. I've found high impedance to be a generally desirable feature in IEMs when plugged into sub-standard daps.

UM2s are awful in this regard - high sensitivity and low impedance
frown.gif

They pick up absolutely everything. I can even hear a difference with my ipod classic when it has a full or 50% battery.

um3x will be fine to drive from any portable.

May 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #748 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by not_sure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM3X have 27 impendence. This numbers are on the original box

That's actually a mis-print. The UM3X box uses the same box as UM2 and they forgot to change the 27 to 56 ohms on the packaging change so a sticker is being placed over the newer shipments to reflect the proper 56 ohms.

May 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #749 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UMX3 is 56 ohms. That strikes me as a high impedance for an IEM. I intend to use these phones with an unamped 2nd generation Ipod Touch. Would that drive these phones sufficiently for them to perform well or would they be too under powered from this source? The SE530 which I am also considering is 36 ohms. Might this be a more efficient match with the Ipod Touch?

With my iphone 1 st gen, I say it has enough to push UM3X without amp. I seldom turn up more than 50% of iphone vol

May 27, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #750 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of EQing do you find necessary with your UM3X?

I set true bass to 2 and set the low end a notch above zero and highs a notch above zero. This way it sounds better than no EQ to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back