Westone UM3X Thread
May 7, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #391 of 4,413
Mine just arrive
smily_headphones1.gif
Boy, I wouldn't want anything warmer than this.

May 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #392 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just arrive
smily_headphones1.gif
Boy, I wouldn't want anything warmer than this.

Hi there, and welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Please can you tell me what other phones you're comparing with the UM3X? I have no idea what you consider to be 'warm', and there's nothing listed in your profile yet. Thanks.

May 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #393 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better way of putting it is UM3X has more realistic and natural Treble response than W3. Westone is quite rightly recommending W3 for recorded music listening.
I do not think UM3X has better soundstage than IE8 though.

This I agree with. Can't comment on the second as I don't own the IE8.

I never did encounter the sibilance issue some folks reported with the W3. A great example of "YMMV" coming into play.

May 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #395 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soozie, do u know where's your UM3X currently located? IIRC it should arrived by Wednesday.
Time to strip search them :p

I have no idea where it's located since I didn't opt for tracking this time. My last parcel got held up at customs for 2 weeks, ripped open, damaged, and then delivered to me with the packaging almost in shreds. So I decided to go for regular shipping in the hope it will skip through without being mauled! As for strip-searching the Parcelforce staff, well, that thought is on hold since I saw what our relief guy looked like yesterday
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #396 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, and welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Please can you tell me what other phones you're comparing with the UM3X? I have no idea what you consider to be 'warm', and there's nothing listed in your profile yet. Thanks.

Thx.

I was comparing them with the Phonak. I'm not good at describing sound... Hmm how can I put this? I just feel that anymore bass would make the clarity suffer. The UM3X is at the threshold of the best compromise between warmness and clarity.

I can't tell you much since I've only listen to them like 5 minutes (been working in the garden and cooking). Maybe I'll write more impression after a day or two.

Ps: this thing is very comfortable, not sure how it will fare in the long run though.

May 8, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #397 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx.

I was comparing them with the Phonak. I'm not good at describing sound... Hmm how can I put this? I just feel that anymore bass would make the clarity suffer. The UM3X is at the threshold of the best compromise between warmness and clarity.

Yes the bass in um3x is also the best compromise for me too. Even the pfe's have more clarity, transparency, and more forward mids, the um3x still retains most of it while having more bass at an acceptable level to me.

May 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #400 of 4,413
How's the sub-bass with these? More or less than the W3?
How about mid-bass, less or more vs. W3?

May 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #401 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the sub-bass with these? More or less than the W3?
How about mid-bass, less or more vs. W3?

I find sub-bass pretty equal to W3 but mid bass is much less than W3...almost non-existant. That was kind of the point of this IEM in the first place. To make it very balanced.

Hiss is definitlely less than W3. Almost virtually silent between songs to these ears.

May 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #403 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find sub-bass pretty equal to W3 but mid bass is much less than W3...almost non-existant. That was kind of the point of this IEM in the first place. To make it very balanced.

Hiss is definitlely less than W3. Almost virtually silent between songs to these ears.

there is no midbass? does the um3 sounds flat because of that?

May 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #405 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This I agree with. The response I'm getting is rather flat compared to the W3 (and likely a fair number of other IEMs on the market). I think the UM3X does some things better than the W3, and vise versa. Westone knew what it was doing when it separated the lines and marketed one toward personal listening and one toward monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back