Westone UM3X Thread
May 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #257 of 4,413
where can I buy the tips supplied with W3 for the UM3X. I just purchased the UM3X but don't want to go through the trouble of replacing complies every so often. Sites and prices would be a great help

May 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #258 of 4,413
The Shure soft flex sleeves are very similar to the gray soft silicone tips supplied with the W3s. The clear hard tips that came with the W3s suck in my view, and the tri-flanges that came with the W3s are like $11 on Amazon (they are the Shure tri-flanges, white). Otherwise, the rest of the tips that came with the W3s are Comply foamies. Use Google to find them, but Amazon is a good place to start.

May 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #259 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "X" stand for? Why not simply "UM3" like "UM1" and "UM2"?

Officially nothing. One could say "eXtended response". The main idea was if we called it the UM3 people might think it was the universal version of the ES3, which it is TOTALLY different from. So we went with the same naming convention we used on the custom version, ES3X.

May 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #261 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"X" marks the sweet spot as the most perfectly balanced universal IEM ever made.

man, you're killing me spyro, mine arent far off, but you arent making the wait any easier
frown.gif

May 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #262 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the UM3X be more similar to the W3's or the IE8's in sound signature?

it really doesnt sound like its very similar to either of them; sounds like its more akin to SE530 with a more balanced SQ and better, more extended highs. sounds nigh perfect to me

May 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #263 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it really doesnt sound like its very similar to either of them; sounds like its more akin to SE530 with a more balanced SQ and better, more extended highs. sounds nigh perfect to me

...and with better soundstage...just 3 days more for me to get my hands on them
L3000.gif

May 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #265 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito
...and with better soundstage...just 3 days more for me to get my hands on them

yes; thought of that seconds after posting, but somehow new someone would set it straight LOL so didnt bother to go back and edit. I have to say though, the soundstage on SE530 is excellent with UM56; as is W3, so cant wait for these and my eventual UM56 refit. with the longer tube its possible mine will fit. maybe i'l botch them to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennman
i have read from a few people that the bass is not going down very low what you guys can say to this topic?

I think some less experienced listeners may mistake bass quantity for bass extension. the more measured reviews on this thread so far have rated the bass to be more extended than SE530/W3, but not as strong.

May 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #266 of 4,413
double post sorry

May 5, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #267 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have read from a few people that the bass is not going down very low what you guys can say to this topic?

Who said that? The bass response is great and goes down as low as a portables will allow it to. 20 hz.

May 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #268 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "X" stand for? Why not simply "UM3" like "UM1" and "UM2"?

Racer X from Speed Racer uses these, so...

May 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #269 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since I switched to the larger (regular) supplied complys, the bass is huge. Much preferred to W3 since there are no painful spikes. Just a real deep extension.

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #270 of 4,413
Yeah.. the large ones do bring things out a little. It's weird because I certainly expected the opposite. Not sure I prefer them to the small ones in terms of comfort though as my ears aren't that big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back