Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 4,413
Big request for everyone: when you post impressions of any earphone vs UM3X, please post what you hear from the earphone itself (especially for Shure e500/se530 and Westone 3 - these have some history of being heard very differently).

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem. I;m interested to hear from ES3x owner who um3x sound.

The only references I have to compare my ES3X's are the Westone 3 & SE530. The ES3X is by far #1, #2 would be W3, and then SE530.

The ES3X for me have a fantastic balance along the whole frequency spectrum, great head/soundstage, superb instrument separation, wonderfully musical and absolutely non-fatiging (crucial for me). If you want more views on the ES3X, you can start reading from post #18 onwards: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5423662

You, on the other hand, have a lot more IEM's to compare the UM3X's with.

I'm mostly very curious to know how the UM3X compare with the W3, which I know quite well. I'm guessing since you have the UM56, then your UM3X's may be quite closer to the ES3X's. Also very curious about the UM3X with soft silicone tips, which is what I used with my W3.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 4,413
Ok, how's this:

IE8 - Very thick sounding with very prominent bass. Occasionally boomy and always hard hitting with the right tips. Huge soundstage. Very smooth if not slightly recessed mids. Sparkly highs with decent separation. Pretty laid back sound though still due to large stage. I find them to be very fun despite their large stage and laid back sound because I prefer it to an in your head in your face sound. Usually very comfortable although tips don't always like to stay in place for me.

PFE's (Grey) - Sparkly highs, good clarity and separation. Decent sized soundstage in terms of L/R but not in terms of height. Vocals feel more in my head than the other phones most of the time. The bass is light but still accurate and punchy (if you can hear it)
(Black) - Similar to the Grey filters with more prominent bass. Everything is a little less clear and the balance is thrown off a little bit. The soundstage is a bit smaller and vocals are a bit smoother although I feel the vocals are a bit too laid back. Very shallow insertion and extremely comfortable for me. Warmer then greys but borderline too laid back for me.

UM3X - Sounds very lively to me. Very engaging but still maintains incredible separation and a huge soundstage. It's very odd because normally you think that the huge soundstage would make it sound laid back - but it doesn't feel that way to me at all. The details are extremely good and I swear I'm hearing things I didn't even hear with my PFE's with greys and silicons. Slightly warm but only slightly. The bass impact is very good with nice punch and quantity. Very comfortable with my limited listening so far.

In terms of fun I would rate my IEMS as follows:

1. IE8's
2. UM3X
3. NE-7M
4. PFE
5. CX400's (I don't enjoy them much)
6. Shure SE210's

In terms of soundstage:

1. UM3X
2. IE8 (very close second)
3. PFE's
4. NE-7M
5. CX400/SE210

In terms of clarity/detail:

1. UM3X
2. IE8/PFE (greys)
4. NE-7M's
5. CX400's/SE210's

In terms of bass quantity:

1. IE8
2. CX400
3. UM3X
4. NE-7M
5. PFE (black)
6. SE210

Bass quality:

1. UM3X
2. PFE
3. IE8
4. NE-7M
5. CX400
6. SE210

Comfort:

1. UM3X/PFE's/CX400's
4. IE8's
5. SE210's
6. NE-7M's

Overall it's a close battle between the UM3X and IE8's depending on what the person wants. I consider the IE8's more fun sounding despite being laid back. I'm not a huge fan of in your face. There is definitely more bass on the IE8's although I'd say the UM3X has a similar punch albeit slightly less and still retains much more bass than the PFE's, depending on tips. The UM3X offers a great soundstage with better detail and clarity and sound less warm than the IE8's.

Due to me not having my IE8's at the moment the comparison between them and the UM3X's is partially from memory but I feel it should be fairly accurate still.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 4,413
i tried um3x w/ touch 1g and mustang, i must say it is definitely awesome.

i am not really an audiophile so i cant really describe the sound.

though i like my phonaks but um3x is far more comfort and none fatigue. i believe one can wear it whole day.

i prefer um3x den w3, w3 was too warm for me.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only references I have to compare my ES3X's are the Westone 3 & SE530. The ES3X is by far #1, #2 would be W3, and then SE530.

The ES3X for me have a fantastic balance along the whole frequency spectrum, great head/soundstage, superb instrument separation, wonderfully musical and absolutely non-fatiging (crucial for me). If you want more views on the ES3X, you can start reading from post #18 onwards: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5423662

You, on the other hand, have a lot more IEM's to compare the UM3X's with.

I'm mostly very curious to know how the UM3X compare with the W3, which I know quite well. I'm guessing since you have the UM56, then your UM3X's may be quite closer to the ES3X's. Also very curious about the UM3X with soft silicone tips, which is what I used with my W3.

i hate w3. the mid is overly done for me to a point of very artificial so I did not have a proper comparision. It just doesn't suit me at all after 4 audition of about 30 min each.
Same case for IE 8 as i find the mid is too thick for me too.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 4,413
how is the bass in comparsion to the W3? even more or a little bit less? And what is with the highs? are they very much less than at the W3? and i think the mids are a little bit taken back in the W3 are they so in the Um3 too?

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the bass in comparsion to the W3? even more or a little bit less? And what is with the highs? are they very much less than at the W3? and i think the mids are a little bit taken back in the W3 are they so in the Um3 too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [J
-ohn]
Was at Stereo this afternoon during lunch and managed to test both W3 and the new UM3x for a brief 15mins due to the people waiting.

First impression is that the UM3x seems to isolate noise (lots at Stereo :bash: ) better, without any music, the UM3x seem to be able to drown out at least 80% of noise. Wires are the usual Westone braided type and something I really like about Westone when I first got a UM1 3 years back.

I actually quite like the sound from the UM3x, it is warm and easy on the ears. Soundstage is decent compared to my Audio Technica CK100 ( Yes, CK100 has a wider soundstage) but is full and tight compared to the W3 which to me is a little bloated and muddy. The vocals felt slightly more forward compared to the W3 although I think that is mainly because the UM3x is overall clearer and cleaner in presentation compared to the W3.

Specification wise, although the UM3x is higher in impedance but it is also higher in it's sensitivity so I didn't feel that the UM3x was much difficult to drive, still the UM3x produced lesser hiss (5%, maybe 10%?) on the iqube on low gain setting.

I will drop over this Saturday to test again as I might consider getting this for my wife. ( I can use this when she is not.... :rclxms: )

The above is quote from sgheadphones. I think he did the comparison with shure grey sleeve.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are doing comparison between UM3X & other phones. I think it would be fair to use universal tips throughout.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #28 of 4,413
Zalithian - those impression are without an amp right? Which would give a bit of a handicap to the UM3X and PFEs.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #30 of 4,413
one has to keep in mind 2 specs with how easy a headphone is to drive. these may be 56ohms, but they are VERY sensitive; thus being easier to drive than you would imagine. wow, cant wait for mine to get here. they sound sweet and will be good company till ES3X gets here in a month or so. keep the impressions rolling guys, good stuff
beerchug.gif
i'm giddy as a schoolgirl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back