Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,396 of 4,413
Strangely I thought it was the complete opposite. I have never had any problem with the MMCX connectors with my SE846, W60 and Pro 30 for over 2 years, and I use my Pro 30 at the gym and for commuting nearly everyday, they get a lot of accidental pulls often and are still working 100% fine. I had 4 pairs of um3xrc and 2 of them had really loose connectors on one driver and they actually came off quite often and I nearly lose them twice before on the bus; I had to bend the connecting pins quite often to get them to connect properly. I had so many UM3x/rc because the drivers go dead often and I had them replaced many times. To be honestly, I'm actually very happy with my Pro 30, unlike all the UM3x/rc's I had.

I personally don't trust mmcx connectors in general, and any I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a 2nd hand um3x for cheap in your local marketplace so I would go with that if I were you. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #4,397 of 4,413
Strangely I thought it was the complete opposite. I have never had any problem with the MMCX connectors with my SE846, W60 and Pro 30 for over 2 years, and I use my Pro 30 at the gym and for commuting nearly everyday, they get a lot of accidental pulls often and are still working 100% fine. I had 4 pairs of um3xrc and 2 of them had really loose connectors on one driver and they actually came off quite often and I nearly lose them twice before on the bus; I had to bend the connecting pins quite often to get them to connect properly. I had so many UM3x/rc because the drivers go dead often and I had them replaced many times. To be honestly, I'm actually very happy with my Pro 30, unlike all the UM3x/rc's I had.
The loose connections were an issue specific to the um3x, Google it up. And I'm pretty sure you'll find that most people here would much rather prefer the old 2-pin style termination over the mmcx one, short of one with a locking mechanism like the jha angie etc. There's a reason why westone still offers the 2-pin for their customs, and actually advise performers to go with it.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4,398 of 4,413
You are probably right, as I have never had problem with the 2 pin connectors of my W4r or my K10U, but I really cannot say anything bad about the MMCX connectors either, as I never had any problem with them so far (SE 846, W60, Pro 30). The locking cable connectors you mentioned on my Layla and Roxanne are great although I find them a bit fiddilely when changing cables. So I guess the conclusion here is to avoid the UM3xrc at all cost.

The loose connections were an issue specific to the um3x, Google it up. And I'm pretty sure you'll find that most people here would much rather prefer the old 2-pin style termination over the mmcx one, short of one with a locking mechanism like the jha angie etc. There's a reason why westone still offers the 2-pin for their customs, and actually advise performers to go with it.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,399 of 4,413

Funny thing is that I experienced the same thing as Danz03, I had issues with 2 pin-connectors twice (ASG1, ASG2) due to multiple cable changes.
On the other hand, no issue changing cables quite often with SE535, HA-FA850 and a few other MMCX-based IEMs.

I'm not implying anything precise, mechanically speaking.
But if MMCX was SO bad and 2-pin sockets SO good, why do we still have both ?
MMCX sockets tend to get looser with time, but little pins get torn, broken, so it's not perfect on either side.

The locking mechanism on Angies looks nice, but it makes for a VERY rigid termination, more prone to breaking upon hitting something hard... The angled plastic piece above the plastic ring is WAY too bulky, there should a more elastic piece for stress release instead.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #4,400 of 4,413
Funny thing is that I experienced the same thing as Danz03, I had issues with 2 pin-connectors twice (ASG1, ASG2) due to multiple cable changes.
On the other hand, no issue changing cables quite often with SE535, HA-FA850 and a few other MMCX-based IEMs.

I'm not implying anything precise, mechanically speaking.
But if MMCX was SO bad and 2-pin sockets SO good, why do we still have both ?
MMCX sockets tend to get looser with time, but little pins get torn, broken, so it's not perfect on either side.

The locking mechanism on Angies looks nice, but it makes for a VERY rigid termination, more prone to breaking upon hitting something hard... The angled plastic piece above the plastic ring is WAY too bulky, there should a more elastic piece for stress release instead.
Mmcx connectors based on what my a friend who thinkers around with diy audio cables has told me, have an inherent design flaw. The male and female pins are only in contact with each other on a very small surface area ie leading to the common cutting out issue that mmcx connectors tend to have. And y'know, maybe it has something to do with mmcx connectors being FAR cheaper to purchase in bulk than 2-pins.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,401 of 4,413
Maybe you're right about MMCX being cheaper to buy in bulk, but I doubt many companies would care too much about that tiny price difference on a pair of $1000 + IEMs, they'd be able to save more just by making a smaller box for packaging. If I were the manufacturer, I'd rather spend a little more money on something more reliable than saving a little money and then get my reputation ruined and lose out when customers start returning products.

I think there are no perfect connectors yet, I've heard just as many ppl complaining about the 2 pin connectors as the MMCX. Probably best not to swap cables too much is the answer for MMCX. I haven't even swapped cables ever and 2 of my UM3xRCs had loose 2 pin connectors that don't even connect properly.

Mmcx connectors based on what my a friend who thinkers around with diy audio cables has told me, have an inherent design flaw. The male and female pins are only in contact with each other on a very small surface area ie leading to the common cutting out issue that mmcx connectors tend to have. And y'know, maybe it has something to do with mmcx connectors being FAR cheaper to purchase in bulk than 2-pins.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #4,402 of 4,413
I've heard just as many ppl complaining about the 2 pin connectors as the MMCX.

We must have been looking at different threads then.

If you look back through any of the Westone threads, since they moved to MMCX connectors, you'll see dozens of complaints about the MMCX connectors.

In the 9 years I've been a member of this forum I can't recall reading any complaints about the old two pin connectors. I'm not claiming that there haven't been any, but I find it hard to believe that there are just as many and I've managed to totally miss them.

Your experience, with two pin and MMCX connectors, seems to me the exception rather than the rule.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,403 of 4,413
This is something I wrote in early 2014, but I am re-sharing because of my recent interaction with Westone Customer service, where they refused to give any solution for my 700 USD IEM, although they admitted that it went faulty because of bad assembly where gaps where left for humidity to crawl in and erode something inside, I remembered that this same item was the item I wrote about early 2014. and since then I have bought many Audiophile product and contacted my customer services and have been happy to deal with them. I should have taken what I wrote below seriously:

In just 4 months (from October till February) I have purchased portable audiophile stuff for over 5000 USD:

Astell and Kern AK120 10/10/2013

Westone W4R 10/10/2013

Westone Epic Mic Cable 21/10/2013

Hifiman RE400 21/11/2013

Fiio E12 5/12/2013

Fiio E18 11/12/2013

Sennhieser Momentum Over Ears 23/12/2013

Yamaha EPH-100 3/1/2014

Sennheiser Momentum on Ears 3/1/2014

Sennheiser IE80 3/1/2014

Sennheiser IE800 15/1/2014

Aurisonics ASG-1 15/1/2014

Fiio X5 2/8/2014

Westone UM Pro 50 2/8/2014

However as you can see the last purchase was indeed the Westone Universal Flag ship (at that time). W60 was not released yet.

So what makes it the best purchase for me? If my average spending was 1250 USD per month, my purchase of UM Pro 50 has saved me 2500 USD till now and counting, because it was due to this purchase that I stopped my self indulgence.

Why? because it was a wake up call. Ever Since I heard/read about the AK240 being issued at the above 2000 USD price, I started to feel that I am not being treated with the same respect that I give to audiophile products producing companies. I felt that Astell&Kern used our love for music and fantasies about perfect sounds and our priority to spend money on those  products rather than other stuff, and has used us as a stepping stone to become the "Lafite" of DAPs, highly priced because rich people heard about it. (its funny that Lafite is a famous very expensive Rd wine bought by rich people at business lounges during travel just due to the name, while red wine is also associated with AK - RWAK)

Anyway, in comes CES 2104 followed by NAMM and Westone representatives openly spoke about their new "Elite Series" going universal. meaning that ES5 gone ES50 is now universal UM PRO 50. verbally and in emails that was confirmed. I have always loved universal IEMs since customs cannot be shared by friends for the sake of giving them a taste of the moment. My friends are all music lovers but not gonna pay more than 100$ for a earphone, so I usually supply eargasms when they come to my house/music_library (I am a huge LPs, CDs, concert DVDs collector)

So having heard and read interviews, emails and pulicities, I went for the first UM PRO 50 ever sold maybe (it hit the Hong Kong Shores too early). I always believed in the non-made_in_china items, like the Aurisonics, the Sennheisers and other Headphones(Mr. Speakers, Japanese stuff, HD800, HD650, LCD1...). So UM Pro being made in the USA and being the flagship in IEM and being the first universal Elite Series (highest grade of components done by Westone, as they say), I went for it with pride.

IT WAS A WAK UP CALL. No MORE getting fooled by the AKs and the Westones, and the Shures,.... you either respect our love for this game, and give us value for money, or you position your products with prices according to efforts.

First I was shocked from the manufacturing quality. The plastic now has become sooooooo plastic that I even feel that the coca cola bottle had a better grade of plastic than the UM PRO 50. and I am paying 700 USD here.

Second The assemble is so low grade, low engineering thoughts that it did not use any screws, any female-male compatibility in the 2 halves of the shell of each ear piece, they simply glued them togther with some sort of a super glue. I am sure it is a 2$ supermarket purchased tube, cause for them to apply the glue on the edges of the 2 halves that contain the BAs inside, they cannot avoid the random staining of the outer edges and surface.

Third The cable connector is so unthought-of that the cable's connector is surrounded by a plastic bulge from the earpiece side causing any good to normal quality other MMCX cable to be unusable. So Westone migrated from the 2 pins connection to the MMCX so us the loyal head fiers can use our own high quality cables, but did not give any though that non of our cables will work. and they call it um "PRO"

Fourth, I have read and heard many official Westone employees saying that the UM Pro 50 is the ES50 gone universal, however the ES50 has half the impedance of that UM PRO 50!! who is the pro here.

Fifth, comes the sound. Either the Westone engineers calibrated the sound signature of the UM PRO 50 on a pure gold cable and then through in a very bad cable, or they have gone deaf. the stock cable has a bloated sound signature that causes the mid bass to mess with the whole experience of listening. Some loyal westone fans called the sound warm, well this is not warm, this is malfunctioning!!! Put another good cable and hear the difference. However, dont keep that other MMCX cable for long, since the brilliant engineers at westone has made their stock cable with an extended plastic cover that covers the otherwise exposed pin of the earpiece side, and thus any other cable you use, if it went through the first trap of being thin enough to fit in through the plastic bulge, it will click in but leave the pin of the earpiece side of the connection exposed to all sorts of sweat, dust and humidity, and thus later causing a degradation in sound.

sixth, I compared the vault case of the old W4R with the new case in the UM-PRO 50 and found that the plastic went on diet and the vault now is simply a plastic wrap in comparison.

All this and we paid 700 USD. At the time I had ordered this, I also ordered a Fiio X5 player for 340 USD (In February it was already released in Hong Kong but not officially in the world) . And if you go through head-fi alone, you will see that customer voice listening process that Fiio is going through. Every detailed comment or complain was taken into consideration, an a frameware update after another i being released addressing all issues. And all that for a 340 USD DAP that probbly costs them 100 USD all in all, while the Westone UM PRO 50 is a 700 USD that costs westone less than 30 USD. Also the AK 240 is a 2400 USD that costs probably a 200 USD ( while still is not supporting Flac splitting Cue files, that X5 fiio is already supporting).

As a long fan of AK100, AK10, AK120,... and Westones ( around 5 of them) I suddenly got my wake up call " There are people that we love and they dont care about us, while people that we dont notice while they really care... same thing is happening in the audiophile domain". I suddenly felt as if my girlfriend for 5 years did not visit me in the hospital after an almost deadly car crash simply be cause she knows I love her anyway!!! No sorry, I am waking up

I will go back to spending my money of LPs and Music records in general and be the host of music feasts at my home... Here is a photo

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,404 of 4,413
  This is something I wrote in early 2014, but I am re-sharing because of my recent interaction with Westone Customer service, where they refused to give any solution for my 700 USD IEM, although they admitted that it went faulty because of bad assembly where gaps where left for humidity to crawl in and erode something inside, I remembered that this same item was the item I wrote about early 2014. and since then I have bought many Audiophile product and contacted my customer services and have been happy to deal with them. I should have taken what I wrote below seriously:

In just 4 months (from October till February) I have purchased portable audiophile stuff for over 5000 USD:

Astell and Kern AK120 10/10/2013

Westone W4R 10/10/2013

Westone Epic Mic Cable 21/10/2013

Hifiman RE400 21/11/2013

Fiio E12 5/12/2013

Fiio E18 11/12/2013

Sennhieser Momentum Over Ears 23/12/2013

Yamaha EPH-100 3/1/2014

Sennheiser Momentum on Ears 3/1/2014

Sennheiser IE80 3/1/2014

Sennheiser IE800 15/1/2014

Aurisonics ASG-1 15/1/2014

Fiio X5 2/8/2014

Westone UM Pro 50 2/8/2014

However as you can see the last purchase was indeed the Westone Universal Flag ship (at that time). W60 was not released yet.

So what makes it the best purchase for me? If my average spending was 1250 USD per month, my purchase of UM Pro 50 has saved me 2500 USD till now and counting, because it was due to this purchase that I stopped my self indulgence.

Why? because it was a wake up call. Ever Since I heard/read about the AK240 being issued at the above 2000 USD price, I started to feel that I am not being treated with the same respect that I give to audiophile products producing companies. I felt that Astell&Kern used our love for music and fantasies about perfect sounds and our priority to spend money on those  products rather than other stuff, and has used us as a stepping stone to become the "Lafite" of DAPs, highly priced because rich people heard about it. (its funny that Lafite is a famous very expensive Rd wine bought by rich people at business lounges during travel just due to the name, while red wine is also associated with AK - RWAK)

Anyway, in comes CES 2104 followed by NAMM and Westone representatives openly spoke about their new "Elite Series" going universal. meaning that ES5 gone ES50 is now universal UM PRO 50. verbally and in emails that was confirmed. I have always loved universal IEMs since customs cannot be shared by friends for the sake of giving them a taste of the moment. My friends are all music lovers but not gonna pay more than 100$ for a earphone, so I usually supply eargasms when they come to my house/music_library (I am a huge LPs, CDs, concert DVDs collector)

So having heard and read interviews, emails and pulicities, I went for the first UM PRO 50 ever sold maybe (it hit the Hong Kong Shores too early). I always believed in the non-made_in_china items, like the Aurisonics, the Sennheisers and other Headphones(Mr. Speakers, Japanese stuff, HD800, HD650, LCD1...). So UM Pro being made in the USA and being the flagship in IEM and being the first universal Elite Series (highest grade of components done by Westone, as they say), I went for it with pride.

IT WAS A WAK UP CALL. No MORE getting fooled by the AKs and the Westones, and the Shures,.... you either respect our love for this game, and give us value for money, or you position your products with prices according to efforts.

First I was shocked from the manufacturing quality. The plastic now has become sooooooo plastic that I even feel that the coca cola bottle had a better grade of plastic than the UM PRO 50. and I am paying 700 USD here.

Second The assemble is so low grade, low engineering thoughts that it did not use any screws, any female-male compatibility in the 2 halves of the shell of each ear piece, they simply glued them togther with some sort of a super glue. I am sure it is a 2$ supermarket purchased tube, cause for them to apply the glue on the edges of the 2 halves that contain the BAs inside, they cannot avoid the random staining of the outer edges and surface.

Third The cable connector is so unthought-of that the cable's connector is surrounded by a plastic bulge from the earpiece side causing any good to normal quality other MMCX cable to be unusable. So Westone migrated from the 2 pins connection to the MMCX so us the loyal head fiers can use our own high quality cables, but did not give any though that non of our cables will work. and they call it um "PRO"

Fourth, I have read and heard many official Westone employees saying that the UM Pro 50 is the ES50 gone universal, however the ES50 has half the impedance of that UM PRO 50!! who is the pro here.

Fifth, comes the sound. Either the Westone engineers calibrated the sound signature of the UM PRO 50 on a pure gold cable and then through in a very bad cable, or they have gone deaf. the stock cable has a bloated sound signature that causes the mid bass to mess with the whole experience of listening. Some loyal westone fans called the sound warm, well this is not warm, this is malfunctioning!!! Put another good cable and hear the difference. However, dont keep that other MMCX cable for long, since the brilliant engineers at westone has made their stock cable with an extended plastic cover that covers the otherwise exposed pin of the earpiece side, and thus any other cable you use, if it went through the first trap of being thin enough to fit in through the plastic bulge, it will click in but leave the pin of the earpiece side of the connection exposed to all sorts of sweat, dust and humidity, and thus later causing a degradation in sound.

sixth, I compared the vault case of the old W4R with the new case in the UM-PRO 50 and found that the plastic went on diet and the vault now is simply a plastic wrap in comparison.

All this and we paid 700 USD. At the time I had ordered this, I also ordered a Fiio X5 player for 340 USD (In February it was already released in Hong Kong but not officially in the world) . And if you go through head-fi alone, you will see that customer voice listening process that Fiio is going through. Every detailed comment or complain was taken into consideration, an a frameware update after another i being released addressing all issues. And all that for a 340 USD DAP that probbly costs them 100 USD all in all, while the Westone UM PRO 50 is a 700 USD that costs westone less than 30 USD. Also the AK 240 is a 2400 USD that costs probably a 200 USD ( while still is not supporting Flac splitting Cue files, that X5 fiio is already supporting).

As a long fan of AK100, AK10, AK120,... and Westones ( around 5 of them) I suddenly got my wake up call " There are people that we love and they dont care about us, while people that we dont notice while they really care... same thing is happening in the audiophile domain". I suddenly felt as if my girlfriend for 5 years did not visit me in the hospital after an almost deadly car crash simply be cause she knows I love her anyway!!! No sorry, I am waking up

I will go back to spending my money of LPs and Music records in general and be the host of music feasts at my home... Here is a photo

Somehow I missed any reference to the UM3x.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #4,406 of 4,413
I recently bought a used UM3x, coming from IT03, the sound coming from UM3x nailed my preferred sound.

However, I can't stop thinking one thing. How can I differentiate a UM2-RC and UM3x-RC just looking at them plainly. They are both clear/transparent. Only difference was my friends UM2 have a transparent casing all the way, mine only have transparent case outsied(if inserted it was the case pointing out)?

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #4,407 of 4,413
I'm sharing here the message I just cent to Westone since any piece of advice or grain of salt may help me:

"Hello. I'm seeking for some advice. I own a pair of Westone UM3X RC since 2012 (my thir Westone since I had ADV Alpha and W4R before) and was using it to run in the gym, sweating a lot. Last saturday the left earpiece stopped working while running. After my workout, at home, I could see through the shell that it was almost completely filled with "water" (sweat). I tried to remove the cabe but couldn't. So I decided to blow through the bore and fortunately all the water was gone. I decided to put it aside to dry and used WD40 to the connector to remove the cable. In fact the cable was never removed since 2012 and after many times even afraid to break the pieces, I could remove the cable after letting it covered with WD40 for 12hours. Now it is working but I can hear a little distortion and somewhat muffled. If I shake the piece I feel that something inside is "rattling", unlike the other piece. So I'm seeking for advice, what should I do to try to fix it. I love this earphone, I use it almost daily and don't want simply to throw it away and keep using the other IEMs in my collection. I want o make it work. Thanks."

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #4,408 of 4,413
I'm sharing here the message I just cent to Westone since any piece of advice or grain of salt may help me:

"Hello. I'm seeking for some advice. I own a pair of Westone UM3X RC since 2012 (my thir Westone since I had ADV Alpha and W4R before) and was using it to run in the gym, sweating a lot. Last saturday the left earpiece stopped working while running. After my workout, at home, I could see through the shell that it was almost completely filled with "water" (sweat). I tried to remove the cabe but couldn't. So I decided to blow through the bore and fortunately all the water was gone. I decided to put it aside to dry and used WD40 to the connector to remove the cable. In fact the cable was never removed since 2012 and after many times even afraid to break the pieces, I could remove the cable after letting it covered with WD40 for 12hours. Now it is working but I can hear a little distortion and somewhat muffled. If I shake the piece I feel that something inside is "rattling", unlike the other piece. So I'm seeking for advice, what should I do to try to fix it. I love this earphone, I use it almost daily and don't want simply to throw it away and keep using the other IEMs in my collection. I want o make it work. Thanks."

To make sure all the sweat and moisture is removed, you need to use dehumidifier, something like this $15 Stay-Dri hearing aid dehumidifier. For metal connectors, use only DeOxit - it will restore the metal contact - here.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #4,409 of 4,413
Hi,

I own a pair of old UM3X which I use for running with no issues at all. They sound very powerful and I've never had issues with the 2-pin connection or the build construction. Besides, they have an amazing synergy with the Lotoo Paw Pico I use as the source for my sport sessions.

Some time ago, I bought a pair of UMPRO30 at a good price, and I kept them as the replacement of my UM3X in case one day they stopped working. But UM3X are so well made that they are still working properly despite being used in extreme conditions.

Since my daughter needed a new pair of IEMs, I decided to give her the UMPRO30, firstly because their sound profile is a little bit different than the UM3X (more detailed but less bass), and secondly because I hardy had used them and they were like new.

After two weeks of use, the right side of UMPRO30 stopped working suddenly, and I haven't been able to make it work again. I contacted Westone but never received an answer. After researching a little bit, i noticed that there were many UMPRO30 owners who have had the same problem. Obviously, it seems that Westone lowered the quality of their new products.

For that reason, and considering the good results that I'm having with the UM3X, I bought a second pair through EBay to a private user. They have been hardy used and they are like new. They come with a different box and a different carrying case (the newer is the plastic orange one whilst the old was a black textile hard case), so I suppose they are newer than the first pair I bought.

After trying my new UM3X, I've notice that they sound different from the old ones. They sound closer to the UMPRO30, but what's more problematic is that the sub-bass sound distorted. The distorsion is annoying.

I wonder if the UM3X need some hours of burning before they sound as they should.

Did anyone buy the UM3X new? How did they sound at the beginning?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #4,410 of 4,413
UM3x is 7-8 year old model, it's amazing if you have been using it for that long and it's still working great! Btw, I love PICO, reviewed it on HF; too bad it doesn't get as much attention, plus Lotoo killed fw development so no English updates :frowning2: I assume you got UM3x RC with a removable cable, right?

With UMPro30, early batches had issues, as it was noted before. That's probably what you have. With right side not working, did you try to spin/turn the mmcx connector, to make sure it's not loosing the contact? How about switching Left/Right sides of the cable, does the problem stays with a right side or follows the cable? If it's a cable, that's an easy replacement fix. Also, be careful with BA iems, dropping them can damage the driver.

Regarding the sound, typically BA drivers don't go through burn in, but the crossover component could. I have noticed sound changes even with multi-BA iems after the burn in, so give it a few days of play time Another thing, when you are comparing, are you using exactly the same eartips? Eartips can have a noticeable effect on the sound. The seal controls the low end impact and the top end sparkle. If you use silicone vs foam eartips, or smaller vs bigger size tips, they can affect low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back