Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 8, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #1,471 of 4,413
As I mentioned earlier, iPods hp out sound signature is mid-high centric, with slightly rolled off at the high-end. I never tried the LOD yet, but. most of head-fiers agree line out SQ is much more better.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #1,473 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really expert about lod. Wide guess. When you are using to shure attenuator via lod, is that internal amp in ipod being bypassed, that makes sound different than Hp out. But you also mentioned you have met this condiotn before.......confusing

well the ipod line out blasts out at full volume so the variable attenuator is to provide volume control. for everything else ive ever tried this with the line out just restores teh highs that the hp out kills however on the um3 it changes the sound signature competely. bass is reduced mids come forwards sound stage vanaishes and highs improve. it does make for a rather good sound and makes them really more 530 like. i just wish i could get those mids, those highs but with the bass from the hp out and the sound stage. depending on the song one works better than the other. both are quite good but i want the best from each, then it would be something grand and worth the praise many have given it on here

if anyone else has a 5g or 5.5g ipod have a try and see what i mean. as insane as it sounds they sound just so very different

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #1,474 of 4,413
I'll have a listen later and try to be specific... but I can't think of any time (and with any of my ipods or iphone) that the LOD didn't sound VASTLY better than the hp out.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,475 of 4,413
well thats the thing, normally its just things get a bit better mostly in the highs get much more detailed but no majorly significant changes to everything else. on the um3 the sound changes everywhere, its not so much thats it vastly better but it is very different

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #1,476 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well thats the thing, normally its just things get a bit better mostly in the highs get much more detailed but no majorly significant changes to everything else. on the um3 the sound changes everywhere, its not so much thats it vastly better but it is very different

Perhaps the variable attenuator is affecting the sound (not apples to apples comparison). I'm going to have a listen later using hp out into amp and then lod into amp. I have no doubt the lod while sound better... but I'll try to detail what exactly "better" means.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #1,477 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the variable attenuator is affecting the sound (not apples to apples comparison). I'm going to have a listen later using hp out into amp and then lod into amp. I have no doubt the lod while sound better... but I'll try to detail what exactly "better" means.

btw what amp the D10 or XM5 works better with them would you say, not that im planning to buy an amp any time soon as moving soon and my wallet will kill me but its something thats on my list of things to think about

would be stellar if your could describe the differences between them both too
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #1,478 of 4,413
so... just did my little A/B: hp out vs lod...ipod classic to ibasso d-10... listening to Doobbie Brothers "Long Train Running." As I suspected, the LOD was way better... it wasn't that they sounded different... it really was the same thing, only much, much better. FAR more detail. Far more isolation of instruments and space between instruments...Everything was clearer and much more "musical" with the LOD.

It really wasn't even close... a sort of "no comparison" comparison.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #1,479 of 4,413
Quote:

btw what amp the D10 or XM5 works better with them would you say, not that im planning to buy an amp any time soon as moving soon and my wallet will kill me but its something thats on my list of things to think about

would be stellar if your could describe the differences between them both too
beerchug.gif

I don't have much time right now... but topline: they're both awesome amps... and as I mentioned here (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...vs-xm5-433082/), the XM5 gives you more control options, which is nice.

But so far I'd have the say the ibasso is a better amp. The main difference, to me, has to do with isolation of instruments in space... the soundstage is more 3-d... and there's an effortless about the amp... as my brother said to me, it doesn't even seem like it's on... the music is just there.

And keep in mind, I just got the ibasso two days ago... there might be 30 hours on it... I suspect it will get a lot better with some substantial time. The D10 also has a superior DA converter, if that's important to you.

Both provide exquisite detail... but I'm loving the d10 so far.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #1,480 of 4,413
Quote:

well the ipod line out blasts out at full volume so the variable attenuator is to provide volume control. for everything else ive ever tried this with the line out just restores teh highs that the hp out kills however on the um3 it changes the sound signature competely. bass is reduced mids come forwards sound stage vanaishes and highs improve. it does make for a rather good sound and makes them really more 530 like. i just wish i could get those mids, those highs but with the bass from the hp out and the sound stage. depending on the song one works better than the other. both are quite good but i want the best from each, then it would be something grand and worth the praise many have given it on here

if anyone else has a 5g or 5.5g ipod have a try and see what i mean. as insane as it sounds they sound just so very different

The LOD has a big impedance mismatch with low impedance IEM and shouldn't be used to drive the IEM - It should be driving the high impedance inputs of an amp, which doesn't demand as much current from the LOD as a headphone. Some may work fine, but most wont.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #1,481 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I switched from my UM56 tips to my single flange silicone tips and wow, the UM56 are just so much better with smoother highs and well controlled bass plus richer mids, bringing the W3 so much closer to what I heard with the UM3X than one would expect. You NEED the UM56, because even if you switch to the UM3X those tips still sound great with them as well.

+1...Which really makes this thread (and the W3 thread) all the more confusing to people who are trying to get information. You've got those posters with UM56 tips, and those without. The UM3X's and the W3's are completely different IEM's with the custom tips then they are with stock tips (whichever ones you settle on). IMHO.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #1,482 of 4,413
If you put an amp on the output of the attenuator, you may restore the balance which is lost on the UM3X with just the attenuator. It goes back to the impedance comments which were made some pages back. With a potentiometer attenuator, you are increasing the source impedance dramatically into the earphones, messing with the crossover response. The volume control of the HP output works differently by changing the gain of the amplifier.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #1,483 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1...Which really makes this thread (and the W3 thread) all the more confusing to people who are trying to get information. You've got those posters with UM56 tips, and those without. The UM3X's and the W3's are completely different IEM's with the custom tips then they are with stock tips (whichever ones you settle on). IMHO.

I have the Um56's and I don't hear much if any difference between the UM3x and the 3's... I dunno maybe I am not that descriminating I guess. I will say this the custom tips make the sound much more better and it's less demanding on the PMP as you can get by with lower sound output as little of the sound escapes with such a proper seal.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #1,484 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldpower27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Um56's and I don't hear much if any difference between the UM3x and the 3's... I dunno maybe I am not that descriminating I guess. I will say this the custom tips make the sound much more better and it's less demanding on the PMP as you can get by with lower sound output as little of the sound escapes with such a proper seal.

I have both and there is definitely a difference. The W3's soundstage is wider and the bass splashes much more than that of the UM3X. The mids of the UM3X are also much more pronounced and forward. I'm not really sure why some people prefer the W3 to the UM3X, imo the UM3X corrects all of the faults of the W3. The only difference that would warrant someone preferring the W3 that I can understand is that the vocals are less upfront ... but I like my vocals forward.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,485 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and there is definitely a difference. The W3's soundstage is less upfront and the bass splashes much more than that of the UM3X. The mids of the UM3X are also much more pronounced and forward. I'm not really sure why some people prefer the W3 to the UM3X, imo the UM3X corrects all of the faults of the W3. The only difference that would warrant someone preferring the W3 that I can understand is that the vocals are less upfront ... but I like my vocals forward.

Some people like wetter treble and more mid bass, as well as a bigger soundstage. =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back