Westone UM3X Thread
May 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #616 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLY CRAP!!!!

These are keepers!!

This post, having just read the one before it had me almost spit out my morning coffee on the keyboard - I just burst out laughing. Don't you ever do that again!! two consecutive posts like that.:)

Glad you've found the UM3X's so good after your long IEM journey.

May 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #617 of 4,413
Yea, I love the UM3X cable even though the Westone cables tangle fairly easy when you are in a hurry. It's identical to UM2 cable which is slightly stiffer than W3 which is a different cable and a little softer and not quite as tightly wound.

May 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #618 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good. We have similar tastes. Brendel sounds great with my UM3X. I listen to a lot of Baroque, but other chamber music and piano solos are up there in my book. Rubenstein playing Chopin is also one of my favorites since I grew up with his LP's played with my fathers old Phillips console....sigh!

If you're into Baroque, I don't know if you've heard Purcell's Fantasias (for the Viols 1680) WITH Jordi Savall (2000) - this is some of the best Baroque I've ever heard along with Bach's - this music and this particular recording is astonishing, just something else, and with the UM3X...!!

May 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #619 of 4,413
Regarding Westone's QC on UM3X, I have some to say.
Considering the fact that W3 was the first Westone product I had my hands on, I expected no less build quality on UM3X. (W3's build quality was simply great.) But honestly, it was quite a disappointment.

Famous tinkling noise could be heard on the left unit, but not on the right.
Well, I can live with it, but I believe one can argue that is's still a defect.
(If the tinkling noise is not a defect, then the right unit is a defected unit.)
Noticable glue marks were to seen.

Yes, one can say that these were no big problems. And I agree that the SQ is what truly matters.
But still, you don't really expect these kinds of finishing touches on IEM that costs $379 Period.

Bottom lines are;
1. I love the how my UM3X sounds and I have no regret purchasing one.
2. Westone's rather poor QC won't stop me getting their products (I even placed an order for an ES3X), but I hope Westone should pay more attention on QC.

Follwoings are some UM3X pics I have come across while I was surfing one of the Korean websites.
You see the glue mark visible? (middle pic)
And what is that number inside the unit? (third pic)

cdpkorea-1242039026-1.jpg

cdpkorea-1242466375-1.jpg

May 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #621 of 4,413
For some great NON-fatiguing bass and highs performance of the UM3X's I liestened to Brian Eno's Juju Space Jazz from his Nerve Net album (1992). In this track there are different bass tonalities going on simultaneously handled exceedingly well by the UM3X. Highs are brilliant. This whole album, in fact, is a good test of what I regard as balanced, neutral AND a great musical presentation - excellent soundstage, some of the bass frequencies here extend very low. I remember not being able to listen to this whole album with my W3's at moderately loud volume. Fripp's mad guitar on Distributed Being on the same album, 4 mins into the piece is NOT shrill but mighty clear! - Excellent job Westone! Mid frequencies are FANTASTIC - I just can't tell you how well balanced and musical everything sounds.

Sorry if I'm boring some of you reading this, but I'm trying to convey and share some of the things I hear -- having had my ES3X's sent away twice already, and only being able to enjoy them for a few days -- I've been starved of great sounding music for a little while, and must say that the UM3X's have exceeded my expectations. Yesterday I listened to about 6 hrs of music, something I simply NEVER do - that's how hungry I was, and how impressed I am. And after all that time absolutely NO fatigue, I simply stopped as it was very late to still be up.

May 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #622 of 4,413
yeah, i'm waiting for the next batch to arrive in singapore before asking for a replacement. however, i don't think that the qc issue affected the sound that much; it's just irritating because mine is so bad that when i walk, i sometimes hear the vibration.

May 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #623 of 4,413
Mine arrived this morning. Hate to report that I am one of the unfortunate few who come across this tinkling noise issue. Quite annoying, though I don't think it has any effect on sound quality. Might ask for a replacement though once the issue's been resolved.

May 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #624 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some great NON-fatiguing bass and highs performance of the UM3X's I liestened to Brian Eno's Juju Space Jazz from his Nerve Net album (1992). In this track there are different bass tonalities going on simultaneously handled exceedingly well by the UM3X. Highs are brilliant. This whole album, in fact, is a good test of what I regard as balanced, neutral AND a great musical presentation - excellent soundstage, some of the bass frequencies here extend very low. I remember not being able to listen to this whole album with my W3's at moderately loud volume. Fripp's mad guitar on Distributed Being on the same album, 4 mins into the piece is NOT shrill but mighty clear! - Excellent job Westone! Mid frequencies are FANTASTIC - I just can't tell you how well balanced and musical everything sounds.

Sorry if I'm boring some of you reading this, but I'm trying to convey and share some of the things I hear -- having had my ES3X's sent away twice already, and only being able to enjoy them for a few days -- I've been starved of great sounding music for a little while, and must say that the UM3X's have exceeded my expectations. Yesterday I listened to about 6 hrs of music, something I simply NEVER do - that's how hungry I was, and how impressed I am. And after all that time absolutely NO fatigue, I simply stopped as it was very late to still be up.

Bass tonalities, nice, that is what I want to do say.For IE8, it is always only the matter of more or less punchy, I have not realized there is tone in each type of bass untill I listen at UM3X. The more time I spend listening at, the more confident I am now, I will say quality of bass in UM3X is far superior than IE8, again, quality of bass is really recording/ track dependant.

You are not alone. Last time I was just too excited and could not fall asleep and spent 2 hour in bed to listen music with UM3X.

@Kloan, Glad that you journery is over. Agree that soundstage can be better if it can be larger. But overall, I feel UM3X manage to pinpoint the instrument placement. That is not IE8 could do after all

May 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #626 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really enjoy your posts, far form being boring. And I enjoy them more since they reflect what I'm hearing with the UM3X. Yesterday I spent 4 hours straight! listening with them with my Imod/vcap/Lisa III setting, I had my UE11 and changed for the UM3X and I didn't wanted to go back to the UE11.

My take on the UM3X: They are very very accurate. To run a parallel to describe how a feel with the UM3X vs. other IEM's: with other IEm's is like there is an image reflected on a mirror that sometimes makes the image bigger, sometimes smaller, sometimes the object seems far when its close to the mirror. With the UM3X is like you are in front of the image, being able to watch it exactly as it is (if is fat then you see it fat, if is far from you can really tell how far it is). REAL would be the word to describe them. And they convey the emotion of the music like no other IEM. Yesterday I was listening to Wilco's Jesus etc and I could feel the emotion in Tweedy's vocal I almost cried.

However such accuracy have a downside: low bitrate rips or bad recordings sound bad. It is the less forgiving IEM I have tried. If the song has boomy bass you hear boomy bass, if the song lacks treble you will hear it dark so sometimes you wonder if its the IEM but as soon as you change the track you realize it has more to do with the production or mixing. Also sometimes you hear details that you haven't noticed before in some songs without being analytical or bright.

Also I have noticed (as always) that changing tips (even tip size) affects the SQ. With the medium modded Sony Hybrid the bass and treble tames and the medium range feels more forward (similar to the SE530). The when i switch to the large hybrids I get a much rounded sound, with better instrument separation and much better soundstage even though I get a good seal with both tip sizes. With the Shure Grey Flex (large) the sound feels muffled (when compared with the large Sony Hybrid) and less dynamic. With biflanges the treble feels more plastic and the low range not as detailed and refined as with the large Hybrids.

I have to agree that the look of the UM3X is far from being stylish and the package is mediocre but when you get such sound then that becomes irrelevant (for me at least). Westone thanks for making such an awesome IEM. I'll definitely be saving to get the ES3X.

May 16, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #627 of 4,413
I have replaced the photos on my mini review for better quality ones, and added a few more. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5685373

Yes, the W3 is a better finished/ more polished product, no question about it, but I like the sort of hand-made quality of these UM3X's that makes them all look ever so slightly different. As long as they're well made, ie long lasting, call me old-fashioned or conformist but I'll take this design any time.

May 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #628 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoy your posts, far form being boring. And I enjoy them more since they reflect what I'm hearing with the UM3X. Yesterday I spent 4 hours straight! listening with them with my Imod/vcap/Lisa III setting, I had my UE11 and changed for the UM3X and I didn't wanted to go back to the UE11.

My take on the UM3X: They are very very accurate. To run a parallel to describe how a feel with the UM3X vs. other IEM's: with other IEm's is like there is an image reflected on a mirror that sometimes makes the image bigger, sometimes smaller, sometimes the object seems far when its close to the mirror. With the UM3X is like you are in front of the image, being able to watch it exactly as it is (if is fat then you see it fat, if is far from you can really tell how far it is). REAL would be the word to describe them. And they convey the emotion of the music like no other IEM. Yesterday I was listening to Wilco's Jesus etc and I could feel the emotion in Tweedy's vocal I almost cried.

However such accuracy have a downside: low bitrate rips or bad recordings sound bad. It is the less forgiving IEM I have tried. If the song has boomy bass you hear boomy bass, if the song lacks treble you will hear it dark so sometimes you wonder if its the IEM but as soon as you change the track you realize it has more to do with the production or mixing. Also sometimes you hear details that you haven't noticed before in some songs without being analytical or bright.

Also I have noticed (as always) that changing tips (even tip size) affects the SQ. With the medium modded Sony Hybrid the bass and treble tames and the medium range feels more forward (similar to the SE530). The when i switch to the large hybrids I get a much rounded sound, with better instrument separation and much better soundstage even though I get a good seal with both tip sizes. With the Shure Grey Flex (large) the sound feels muffled (when compared with the large Sony Hybrid) and less dynamic. With biflanges the treble feels more plastic and the low range not as detailed and refined as with the large Hybrids.

I have to agree that the look of the UM3X is far from being stylish and the package is mediocre but when you get such sound then that becomes irrelevant (for me at least). Westone thanks for making such an awesome IEM. I'll definitely be saving to get the ES3X.

Thanks Bolardito - glad at least I'm not boring one person here.

Excellent comments (yours), and very interesting to hear what you said about the UM3X and your UE-11's yesterday. I've been listening more, and from auditory memory, I'd now say the UM3X is probably nearer 80% of the ES3X's.

Your mirror reflections parallel is spot on. And yes, I agree about them being less forgiving than other IEM's, and they just simply present/ reflect what is there. I've got some older orchestral/ symphonic recordings that sound good, but other better recordings that sound VERY powerful like the Elgar Cello Concerto I mentioned earlier.

And yes, tips do make a huge difference - I think I'm VERY lucky to have found the medium soft grey tips to be just perfect and glad they're the type you don't have to keep changing so often.

May 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #629 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great review, man

Hey, You got many top IEM in your drawer, can you make comparsion for er4p, IE8, SE 530?

May 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #630 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, man

Hey, You got many top IEM in your drawer, can you make comparsion for er4p, IE8, SE 530?

I think his post speaks for itself, and has all the information we need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back