Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2,296 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.... I'm thinking about picking up my UM3X, and as you guys are the experts: from my thread asking for recs:

"
So what I'm looking for in terms of sound sig. A balanced headphone. I do really like my mids, smooth and well defined, maybe slightly forward. In terms of bass good extension, and nice and punchy, definitely not looking for something bass light either. Highs, less concerned with, but again, looking for balance, and as my trial of the PFEs taught me, they can definitely help.

Music tastes: Pretty much rock: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Led Zeppelin, Black Keys, Muse etc."

Also any input on how these would directly compare/transition from the IE7 would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

You just described the UM3X except the mids are more than slighty forward. I think it depends on the recording though because sometimes they aren't that forward.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2,297 of 4,413
VicAjax: I've been messing with the NEW Comply tips--the ones with the fileters in them--and think they hae a whole different chemistry; they seem softer, more pliant, and I get a much better and more comfortable fit with these than with the older Complys or the Ety triflange.

I ordered the three-pack ofthree different sizes and was amazed to find the small size fits just right whereas before I was using the medium size. So you may want to mess with them too perhaps order the trial three-pack of thre sizes???

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #2,298 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VicAjax: I've been messing with the NEW Comply tips--the ones with the fileters in them--and think they hae a whole different chemistry; they seem softer, more pliant, and I get a much better and more comfortable fit with these than with the older Complys or the Ety triflange.

I ordered the three-pack ofthree different sizes and was amazed to find the small size fits just right whereas before I was using the medium size. So you may want to mess with them too perhaps order the trial three-pack of thre sizes???

interesting... i can't imagine Comply tips being softer than the ones that shipped with the UM3X.

as comfortable as the Comply are, i'm actually not a huge fan of foam tips in general... they're a bit fiddly and as they wear out the sound tends to suffer.

if i don't have any luck with the silicone tips, then i'll start focusing on the foams, including the Comply you're talking about and the Shure Olives.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2,299 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why thank you. i think my experience going deep with the ER4 is what kept me from floundering for longer.

i had an interesting experiment with the Comply sleeves yesterday evening. not only did i insert them shallower than i'm used to, but i rolled the foam in such a way that it was flush with the mouth of the plastic tip before inserting. this completely solved the muffled highs. however, i don't think the foam was able to expand properly, so the isolation and bass suffered.

then i went back to my Ety tri-flange tips to play with insertion depth. sure enough, the shallower they are, the better the high-end...but the more anemic the bass. as i slowly moved them further into my canal, the bass would improve...but of course the highs would get slightly more muffled. i did find a sweet spot where both the bass and treble play relatively nicely together, but this is a little tweaky for long term use.

i think a better solution will ultimately lie with tips that aren't as long, but wide enough to provide a firm seal with shallow insertion. fingers crossed on the shure soft flex in the mail.

i feel like i just wrote a Penthouse letter. i'm going to take a shower now.

Also, try flipping the Complys and install them backwards with the flat part toward the ear canal and rounded part toward the IEM. You can sometime cut them shorter at the round end that lets you you put the cut end closer to the IEM.

I posted somewhere that some IEM like shallow insertion and some like deep. For example, I found the SE310, E4c, SE530, C700 and ER6i liked a deep insertion best, and W3, UM3X, Image X10, q-JAYS, and SA6 like a shallow insertion best (for my ears). I think my IM716 liked deep, but I don't recall. I can't remember about the SF 5 Pro and TF 10 Pro because they were so big I never got a good fit.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2,300 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, try flipping the Complys and install them backwards with the flat part toward the ear canal and rounded part toward the IEM. You can sometime cut them shorter at the round end that lets you you put the cut end closer to the IEM.

that's an easy enough experiment. i'll give it a go and report back.

right now listening with Ety tri-flanges to the late, great Malian guitarist Ali Farka Touré's last (brilliant) album, Savane. this is a perfect record to show off the UM3X's rich, detailed midrange. loving it.

B000G1R3BW.jpg

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2,301 of 4,413
I'm going crazy, can't decide if I should order the UM3X or the W3. I mostly listen to old 70's prog rock like King Crimson/Pink Floyd and newer rock/metal lke Tool/Isis/Mastodon/Baroness and such. Any tips? I've read one thousand impressions so I really don't know what to do with more info. Yet I feel the need
biggrin.gif

Oh and today I use SE530 everyday and SE210 at the gym. SE530 sounds nice but the bass could be better. The SE210 of course suck.

I hear and read so much good stuff about Westones IEM:s. Any tips on which Westone model?

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2,302 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going crazy, can't decide if I should order the UM3X or the W3. I mostly listen to old 70's prog rock like King Crimson/Pink Floyd and newer rock/metal lke Tool/Isis/Mastodon/Baroness and such. Any tips? I've read one thousand impressions so I really don't know what to do with more info. Yet I feel the need
biggrin.gif

Oh and today I use SE530 everyday and SE210 at the gym. SE530 sounds nice but the bass could be better. The SE210 of course suck.

I hear and read so much good stuff about Westones IEM:s. Any tips on which Westone model?

I have had all 3 of those IEM's. If you find SE530 bass inadequate, steer clear of UM3X. It is pretty much the same. W3 is the IEM you may want.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #2,303 of 4,413
has anyone tried the Etymotic glider tips with these? i may have to give those a go, they look like they have potential.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2,304 of 4,413
I have both and recommend the W3 if you want to listen unamped and like deep bass. The W3 seems to have U shaped EQ curve, as a result bass and treble is strong with a more distant midrange/vocals. The UM3X unamped is more neutral with a more forward midrange... however this neutral presentation may be boring for some, although I like it. Amping the UM3X with a Minibox e+, PtoS set to S (increasing impedance to around 131 ohms) and with bass boost on is not a neutral presentation but you get deep and tightly controlled bass as well as upfront midrange and strong treble.

I'm curious what others think of the UM3X amped?
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #2,305 of 4,413
Good to hear another MiniboxE+ owner comment on the UM3X combination Was worried I'd have to buy another amp just for these IEMs. Thanks for adding your observations.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #2,306 of 4,413
I think the Minibox E+ and the UM3Xs work very well together. In fact, I'd rate this combo ahead of the Ety ER4P and the Minibox E+ combo.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2,307 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ok, trying the backward Comply tips... YOWCH! the sound is fine, but i can't leave them in my ear, because the plastic core flares out at the end and jabs into my canal.

right now i'm favoring modified Ety bi-flanges... cutting off the smallest flange of the tri-flanges and moving it to the back. it's not ideal, because they don't keep a great seal for me and aren't the most comfy, but they do the best job of allowing the highs to open up without sacrificing bass.

the shure fit kit with the soft flex and clear silicone tips should be arriving today or tomorrow, so i'll report back on those in the next couple of days.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #2,309 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried the Etymotic glider tips with these? i may have to give those a go, they look like they have potential.

Yes, I have and didn't care for them. There is a very tiny sweet spot you must hit and the slightest movement dislodges them out of place. Actually the weight of the housing pulls them out of place on their own since the they are somewhat lengthy. Not to mention they stick out of your ears quite far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back