westone UM2 worth the extra 100$ on SF5??
Jun 24, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 24
I'd stay away from both - either too bassy or has cable issues (for some). Perhaps the UM3 will prove to be the better solution. I'd aim for an IEM with braided cables with a relatively balanced sound.

Personally, I'd get some cheap earbuds, and wailt.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 24
If you're willing to go to $299 for the E4's...I'd go for the SE530's, they can be had for ~$335.

But, if I had to pick between the two you mentioned, I'd go for the UM2's...I'd almost pick the UM2's over the E500/SE530's. The build quality of the UM2 is far superior to the SF5Pro.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 24
The UM2 is the worst-value IEM ever. The to-be-released Westone 3 and respectable Shure SE530 series (as triple-driver alternatives), as well as the venerable E4 and ER4 (single-driver alternatives), over far more value for the money. I cannot see why Westone charges twice as much for the UM2 over the UM1 for an extra driver, slightly larger enclosure, and passive crossover.

If you're even thinking about a budget, the UM2 is most certainly not the right choice unless you really, really dig its sound (and it does sound rather good FWIW). An extra Benjamin over the SF5Pro? If you're even thinking about that Benjamin, don't.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2 is the worst-value IEM ever. The to-be-released Westone 3 and respectable Shure SE530 series (as triple-driver alternatives), as well as the venerable E4 and ER4 (single-driver alternatives), over far more value for the money. I cannot see why Westone charges twice as much for the UM2 over the UM1 for an extra driver, slightly larger enclosure, and passive crossover.

If you're even thinking about a budget, the UM2 is most certainly not the right choice unless you really, really dig its sound (and it does sound rather good FWIW).

What IEM's have you auditioned to make this claim?

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shure E500, Shure E5c, Shure E4c, Etymotic ER4P/S, Westone UM2, Altec Lansing iM716, Shure E3c, Shure E2c, Etymotic ER6, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio; most of them through ownership or buy/return and the rest from trial at a local audio shoppe or friends.

In hindsight, it's probably a better value than the low-ends (i.e. E2) and probably the E5c, but it's still a pretty bad value among armature IEMs (which are already considered to be notoriously bad values).

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 24
Dont go for the Um2s if you want clarity... i ordered them from roaddogonline.com for 250$ and i was very disapointed with there sound. I now have the e4c and am very happy with them. I got them from headroom for 199$. if you can spend the extra money get the se530

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure E500, Shure E5c, Shure E4c, Etymotic ER4P/S, Westone UM2, Altec Lansing iM716, Shure E3c, Shure E2c, Etymotic ER6, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio; most of them through ownership or buy/return and the rest from trial at a local audio shoppe or friends.

^LOL Owned much?

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 24
I have all these 3, in terms of comfortable and sound, I would rank E500 which has the best of balance in all aspects. The quality between UM2 & Super.Fi 5 Pro is quite close, it really depends on the user's favorite.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quality between UM2 & Super.Fi 5 Pro is quite close, it really depends on the user's favorite.

Precisely! Obviously I felt the build quality and comfort on the UM2 were superior, but I didn't feel the sound offered enough over the Pro (in some areas, it was worse).

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 24
I have both the UM2 and SF5P and like the fit, the finish and the sound of the UM2's better. Don't like the Shure thick cords.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 24
I prefer the SF 5 Pro's. Despite similar sensitivity ratings, the SF5 Pro's sound good at low listening levels and a bit more dynamic.

I also have the Shure E500 and they are more clear in the midrange and treble. But the SF5's have good soundstage and I still reach for them just as often, they are musical and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back