westone UM2 worth the extra 100$ on SF5??
Jun 25, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2 is the worst-value IEM ever. The to-be-released Westone 3 and respectable Shure SE530 series (as triple-driver alternatives), as well as the venerable E4 and ER4 (single-driver alternatives), over far more value for the money. I cannot see why Westone charges twice as much for the UM2 over the UM1 for an extra driver, slightly larger enclosure, and passive crossover.

If you're even thinking about a budget, the UM2 is most certainly not the right choice unless you really, really dig its sound (and it does sound rather good FWIW). An extra Benjamin over the SF5Pro? If you're even thinking about that Benjamin, don't.

I agree. It would be competitive if it was priced same as ER-4, then it's an option for people who like bass. As much as I don't like SF5, they do fill that gap. UM2's are just too ordinary taking cost into account.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #17 of 24
For best value E4 would probably win, at $199 or about $150 used you can't beat them (even though they are a bit bass shy).

I'd take the UM2 over the E500 or E530 or SF5pro... the E500/E530 could have been fantastic but the vocals sound too distant for my tastes. The 5pros had nice bass but the highs were rolled off and the mids were a bit muddy. The UM2 could have better imaging and instrument separation but they are very comfortable and have a very "fun" and musical sound. I would not pick them for jazz or classical but they really shine for female vocals, rock, metal and really anything with that kind of energy, IMO of course.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 24
The E500, UM2, SF5 and E4 have been around for a while, but are still good. My problem with them is the price which is a bit high.

You should also look at the new Futuresonics M5: a bargain and can be found new for around $150.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 24
The E500, UM2, SF5 and E4 have been around for a while, but are still good. My problem with them is the price which is a bit high.

You should also look at the new Futuresonics M5: a bargain and can be found new for around $150.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #20 of 24
i have mixed feelings about my UM2s. I definitely feel they are better for certain types of music over others (as previously mentioned by wakeride74). I sometimes wish for more clarity, but in the end comfort and build quality were more important for me. The clarity on the Ety ER4S I used to have was incredible, but I could not get a good seal or find them comfortable after weeks of use. So, depends on your priorities.

As for build quality, my UM2s accidentally got caught in someone's rollerskates, and got run over a few times. They still function perfectly. G'luck!

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for build quality, my UM2s accidentally got caught in someone's rollerskates, and got run over a few times. They still function perfectly. G'luck!

How did you do that,human jumping ramp? Jokey,joke!
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you do that,human jumping ramp? Jokey,joke!
icon10.gif

yeah, i wondered myself. well, i recently graduated from college and we had a rollerskating night during our senior week. i thought i could protect my ears some by slippin in my um2s (the music was blaring at the rink) and i didn't connect the iems to anything. i know i know, just asking for trouble. i lost one of the phone tips but luckily the um2s came out ok.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #24 of 24
$100 is a lot of money, I would take the super-fi 5 pro if you treat your product carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back