Westone UM2, Westone UM3x or Westone 2 for Rock
Aug 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #17 of 19
Hey what do you guys think about the UM3x vs the W3 as on earphone solutions the W3 is $350 or $30 more then the current price of the UM3x offered to me? Better or worse when it comes to Rock music and casual listening, EG: not using them live on stage primary use at home, or during travel. So they must be quite noise isolating. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 19
Some may disagree but I don't really care for the W3's over the top mid bass.  Frankly it's a cannon.  It sure gives you the wow factor though and can do rock-n-roll right, if you don't find offense to the mid bass.  I'm a UM3X guy though.

If you want to consider something completely different and for less money, the Vsonic GR07 is an awesome guitar driven rock earphone choice. It's only $160.  It doesn't have the instrument separation the Westones do but it has really good distortion guitar crunch and drums sound pretty darn good too.  However it has a good bit more upper end presence over the Westones, which are very non-fatiguing.  Anyway, I like the UM3X better but the GR07 is a lot better than a sub $200 earphone has a right to be.  It's a head-fi mainstay and one of the most recommended.  Here is a link to an authorized dealer on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR07-mk2-R07-/320957583619?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4aba901103#ht_694wt_1271

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
No, I can consider then, but then again their price is fairly greater than what I am currently ready to give. I would like to try out some lower class Westones (EG: the UM3x, UM2, or W2) before I fully commit. I might sell the headphones later and but the W3 or W4.

The UM3X is more expensive than the W3. I think the W3 can be quite good for rock, with its v-shaped frequency. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back