Westone UM2, Westone UM3x or Westone 2 for Rock
Aug 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

locker314

New Head-Fier
QUICK!

Hey Everyone!

I need your help. I am looking for a pair of headphones around the price range of $300. I can't decided between the Westone UM2, Westone Um3x or Westone 2. I know that the Um3x is a tad more expensive than than the W2 or UM2 but I have an option to buy it used for the same price.

What I want to know mainly is which pair of headphones is better for listening to rock. My preferred bands are Queen, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and Radiohead. Which headphone do you think would be better for these bands? I am open to suggestions if you think a different model of headphones would be more suited than the ones I have suggested. Currently I love my Grado Sr325is and am looking for something more portable.

Thanks in Advance!

- Locker314

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 19
I haven't heard the W2 but I've owned both the UM2 and UM3X.  I think they are both great for rock.  With their forward mids, you get intimate vocals and upfront guitars.  The UM2 is jut a tad brighter over all than the UM3X but both are non-fatiguing.  Basically the UM2 is a poor mans version of the UM3X.  Similar signatures but the UM3X does everything better.  Just keep in mind these are musicians monitors, so soundstaging is intimate compared to most.  Personally, I find that's part of their charm.  I would recommend the UM3X for it's superior layering and separation.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
I haven't heard the W2 but I've owned both the UM2 and UM3X.  I think they are both great for rock.  With their forward mids, you get intimate vocals and upfront guitars.  The UM2 is jut a tad brighter over all than the UM3X but both are non-fatiguing.  Basically the UM2 is a poor mans version of the UM3X.  Similar signatures but the UM3X does everything better.  Just keep in mind these are musicians monitors, so soundstaging is intimate compared to most.  Personally, I find that's part of their charm.  I would recommend the UM3X for it's superior layering and separation.

+1
I love my UM2 RC. If you're looking for a wide soundstage look elsewhere, but, as Shane said, if you like intimate vocals than Westone is for you.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 19
Go with UM2.

UM3X is technically superior but really displays its monitor characteristics and is not as much of a fun pleasurable listen.  UM2 is pretty mch a perfect compromise between a W2 and UM3X.  I think UM2 is (currently) the most underated IEM on the market right now.  W2 is just too flat and struggles when volume is pushed.  W2 is ER4 with a bass boost which isn't saying all that much.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for the reply!
I really don't know. I heard that the W2 is both lighter and has a larger soundstage and from listening to my Grados all day that seems to be a plus. But then again I never listened to headphones like the UM3x or UM2. What is the more intimate soundstage comparable to? EG: feeling like you are in the front of the audience at a convert or, as if the music is being projected into your head. With the UM3x and the UM2 can you distinguish between individual instruments or is a a big mush. All these questions are aimed at your personal opinion. Because at the moment I have the option to buy the UM3x for around $320 used and the UM2rc for $300 brand new the UM2 for $250 brand new and the W2 for $250 brand new. Basically I am wondering if it a better to invest the $70 and get a level higher earpiece. 

In advance, thanks for all your help!

- Locker314

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 19
First- don't buy the UM2 RC for $299. That's full price. Earphone Solutions have coupon codes all the time, so if you buy new find a coupon code.

I didn't find the um2 to have a bigger soundstage than the um3x but soundstaging is pretty personal and not all hear a soundtage the same way. They both make you feell like you are on stage with the band or right at the stage. Both have very good instrument separation but the um3x is better than the um2 in this regard. No muddled sound. Also, westone mids are very good, sort of analogue if you will.

I prefer the um3x by a decent margin but if the price difference is too much, the um2 is a very good choice. Also be sure and try the gray single flange tips, I think they sound best with both models and are super comfortable; and give yourself a week to adjust to their sound. I grew to really love them.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 19
i just got some used W4s for $290. i'm pretty sure you can find the same deal within the forums

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
i just got some used W4s for $290. i'm pretty sure you can find the same deal within the forums

Sorry, the person that is offering to sell me his UM3x is a friend and I have had a bad experience buying used online (not here on Head-fi). My friend has upgraded to a W4rc and is selling his old UM3x headphones. For the moment he is holding them for me. Also the reason i can't try them out at his place is because I moved to a different country (Czech Republic) while he stayed in Canada. 

But thanks for the tip anyway

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Any reason you're not considering the W3 or W4? 

No, I can consider then, but then again their price is fairly greater than what I am currently ready to give. I would like to try out some lower class Westones (EG: the UM3x, UM2, or W2) before I fully commit. I might sell the headphones later and but the W3 or W4.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
First- don't buy the UM2 RC for $299. That's full price. Earphone Solutions have coupon codes all the time, so if you buy new find a coupon code.
I didn't find the um2 to have a bigger soundstage than the um3x but soundstaging is pretty personal and not all hear a soundtage the same way. They both make you feell like you are on stage with the band or right at the stage. Both have very good instrument separation but the um3x is better than the um2 in this regard. No muddled sound. Also, westone mids are very good, sort of analogue if you will.
I prefer the um3x by a decent margin but if the price difference is too much, the um2 is a very good choice. Also be sure and try the gray single flange tips, I think they sound best with both models and are super comfortable; and give yourself a week to adjust to their sound. I grew to really love them.

Thanks for the help! It will be very useful when I fully decide. But for  now, would you have any recommendations for any other headphone brand that might be more suited to rock in a similar price point. Or are the Westones really that good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back