Westone UM2 (replaceable cable) or Earsonics SM2?
Feb 2, 2011 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zinte

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, having a big problem deciding between the two. I'm considering getting the Earsonics SM2 because I heard that it sounds fantastic, and probably sounds better than the UM2 (I have only auditioned the UM2, loved the sound).

Question is, how important is having a replaceable cable? The SM2 has better sound but the UM2 has replaceable cables. Is the sound of the SM2 that much better than UM2 that i should get it despite having fixed cables? I intend to use it for at least 3 years though...

All comments are appreciated.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 5
The cable on the UM2 is excellent enough that its failing shouldn't be a concern as long as you don't treat them exceedingly harshly.
Assuming that the cable on the DLX version of the SM2 is the same as the SM3, the SM2 falls into the same category.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Looking at my SM2 DLX cable I don't think it will fail easily. It's like 2 years old but still in good shape.

I didn't had a chance to listen to UM2 but the SM2 is excellent(though I'm using EQ to change the sound signature a little, it takes EQ very well on my Fuze), the wide soundstage(wider than any IEM I've heard but not that deep--resembles what people speak about the SM3) and its performance is outstanding. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I've made a comparison between SM2 and SM3 here. It's in portuguese, but you can see the pictures of both cables.

Both are very good. You have 3 years guarantee if you buy them from thomann.de

The dual-flange tips have larger diameter now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back