Westone UM1 Vs Head-Direct RE2
May 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Envoy of Light

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a new pair of IEMs for my portable needs and I cut down the choices to either the Westone UM1 or the Head-Direct RE2. The two major things I need from my IEMs are sound quality and noise isolation. Regarding noise isolation, I realize the Westones will isolate more, but I don't know exactly by how much more. Is the difference in noise isolation between the two IEMs I have stated significant?
And regarding the sound quality, I have no idea which IEM is better. I listen to Rap, Hip Hop and Punk Rock, and I want the best sound quality I can get(between the two IEMs). I am going to use the IEMs unamped, from a Cowon D2 or a Sony A729(haven't decided yet). Which is going to be the best choice for me?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your answers!
Have a good day,
Envoy.

May 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I have not listened to either of these, but I can tell you now that the Westones are going to isolate a lot better. The RE2 are canalphones like many of the low-cost Sony in-ear 'phones, so they don't go that deeply.

I can't say anything about the sound of the two, however.

May 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not listened to either of these, but I can tell you now that the Westones are going to isolate a lot better. The RE2 are canalphones like many of the low-cost Sony in-ear 'phones, so they don't go that deeply.

I can't say anything about the sound of the two, however.

Initially I thought of that too, until I read a review of the RE2 on which the reviewer said that in his opinion the RE2 isolates around 22dB, which is only 4dB less than the Westones, so I am looking for more opinions about that and about the sound quality.

May 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 15
The UM1s are only marginally better when it comes to noise attenuation. Sound quality wise the RE2s are a bit better.

The UM1s are the most comfortable in-ears on the market, whereas the RE2s are pretty average when it comes to fit and comfort. The noise attenuation difference is too little to be noticed most of the time.

May 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 15
Thank you very much, Fredrik, for the very informative comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

RE2: 1 , UM1: 0
I can get used to average comfort in the price of better sound quality and better bang for the buck.
tongue.gif

Fredrik, can you please shed some light on the accessories that come with the RE2? How is the carrying case? What length is the cable and what length are the extensions? How many tips does it come with? Etc..

May 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 15
I once owned the UM1s and found them muddy, and I didn't like the fact that you can ONLY wear them over the ear. I sold them, and never regretted it. I have the RE2s, and while SQ-wise to me they offer a more detailed, higher quality sound, they also offer good isolation with either the bi-flanges or the Comply T400 foam tips (which cost more, but are worth it in my view). To me, the Comply T400s make most canalphones good isolators. After all, they are about the same size as the Comply short tips, which I use on my IEMs (716s mostly).

They might not go as deep, but plenty of isolation for commuting, etc. It all depends on the sleeve/tip you use. The standard silicone tips just don't isolate like flanges or foamies.

May 24, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Thank you everyone: Fredrik, Tomikans and Tom(saw your name in the feedback thread
wink.gif
) for the great replies. I appreciate it very much.
Case closed. Head-Direct RE2: Here I come!
smily_headphones1.gif

Will be posting a review when I will get it(probably only in July, since I will be coming back from the US then).

May 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Be sure to get it before the current group buy is over (which I believe is around June?).

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 15
SQ-wise to me they offer a more detailed, higher quality sound, they also offer good isolation with either the bi-flanges...
I find the white bi-flanges extremly comfortable. Its a perfect fit for my ear. It is veru soft/thin so it fits nicely
I m not able to the music at my gym or cab 95% of the times.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 15
I wouldn't worry much about sound isolation. The Shure E3C (on buds and foams) has better isolation than the RE2 (on biflanges) but the RE2 sounds better coming off my iPod Touch. It is more detailed and smooth. It has a better presentation of the mids.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 15
In terms of SQ, could someone provide some more details on how the RE2s are better than the UM1s? Since I'm considering the UM1s for their comfort but also want the RE2s for the SQ (yes i know thats asking too much) so which one do you think would be better in giving up? comfort or SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back