Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,456 of 3,037
  Hi there,
I am a UM 50 Pro owner and i have a problem with my IEM.
Unfortunately, the connectors of these products seems to be a little bit fragile (or maybe it's just me)
In a middle of a show, my left side simply stop working... And i have tried everything to get it back to work but with no results.
I thought it was a cable damage an i have bought a new one, but with same results. When plugging the new cable, i had the ie'm,s connected to my ipod and it worked for a fraction of second so, i guess the problem it is in the female connector, and i have noticed that it is a little bit lose, compared to the right side.
My question is, is there any way to fix the connector or upgrade it. Maybe buying a new shell?

For the record, they are not covered by warranty anymore.

Try Deoxit, like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeoxIT , even UE includes a tube of deoxit with their UE900s now :wink:  Common problem with mmcx connectors after awhile of use.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,460 of 3,037
  Hi there,
Unfortunately, the connectors of these products seems to be a little bit fragile (or maybe it's just me)
In a middle of a show, my left side simply stop working... And i have tried everything to get it back to work but with no results.
I thought it was a cable damage an i have bought a new one, but with same results. When plugging the new cable, i had the ie'm,s connected to my ipod and it worked for a fraction of second so, i guess the problem it is in the female connector, and i have noticed that it is a little bit lose, compared to the right side.
My question is, is there any way to fix the connector or upgrade it. Maybe buying a new shell?

I have never heard of that happening.   I would call Westone, warranty or not.  They may very well fix them for you.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,461 of 3,037

I have never heard of that happening.   I would call Westone, warranty or not.  They may very well fix them for you.

Unfortunately it happens way to often with um pro series. Just read reviews on popular online shops like amazon, or read this thread.
One of the guys i know, owner of a small audio-equipment shop, told me that he decided to stop selling these phones cause there is just too many problems that never existed before with older models.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #1,462 of 3,037
I can't understand why so many reviews mention the recessed treble of the UM Pro 30. I've tried them for a few hours, and coming from Etymotic ER-4PT/S it didn't strike me at all. Of course the sound is dark and intimate, and the highs aren't the highlight of this earphone compared to its nice mids and bass, but I never found them to be unbearably lacking or veiled. In comparison, I found the treble of the SE425/535 exceptionally mediocre, but odd enough people don't really mention that weak point in their reviews of the Shure SE series.

What is your point of view on the UM Pro 30's treble compared to the competition?

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,463 of 3,037
You could be the very first poster that came from Etymotic to (practically) any Westone product and found the treble NOT recessed.  Most do.  There is an adjustment period because Westone presents the treble moreso in a "warm shimmer" versus a "bright sparkle."  But I think detail is similar.

Pro30 does have a roll-off in treble.  Perhaps your ears are sensitive to treble frequencies?  Not sure....

If you like the treble, that is great but most other Westone IEM's  will have even MORE revealing treble  (W20, W30, W40, Pro50, W60)

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,464 of 3,037
  Hi there,

Were they ever covered by warranty? - as these have been out for less than two years and they have a two year warranty...... 
confused.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,465 of 3,037
  Hi there,

My 6 month old UM Pro 50 have just died today as well.

I've noticed some occasional crackling sounds coming from the right earphone for a while, and recently the volume in the right earphone seemed to dip a couple of decibels when I moved my head. When I compared the connections on the left and right earphones yesterday I noticed that the connection on the right side had quite a bit more wobble in it than the left side and I had a feeling it might go bad within a short period of time.

But I tried them again today and now neither side is working (?!?!?). I tested my DAP with some UM3x and they worked fine so it definitely seems to be a problem with the UM Pro 50s earphones.

I have to say that, although I love Westone products, the connectors on the UM Pro series do seem a bit fragile.

I've contacted Westone and I'm sure their customer service will put things right though. They are very good in that respect.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,466 of 3,037

Hi there,

My 6 month old UM Pro 50 have just died today as well.

I've noticed some occasional crackling sounds coming from the right earphone for a while, and recently the volume in the right earphone seemed to dip a couple of decibels when I moved my head. When I compared the connections on the left and right earphones yesterday I noticed that the connection on the right side had quite a bit more wobble in it than the left side and I had a feeling it might go bad within a short period of time.

But I tried them again today and now neither side is working (?!?!?). I tested my DAP with some UM3x and they worked fine so it definitely seems to be a problem with the UM Pro 50s earphones.

I have to say that, although I love Westone products, the connectors on the UM Pro series do seem a bit fragile.

I've contacted Westone and I'm sure their customer service will put things right though. They are very good in that respect.

Is it where the connectors plug in to the 50's or something internal?    Love my 50's and hoping the same thing doesn't happen.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,467 of 3,037
  Is it where the connectors plug in to the 50's or something internal?    Love my 50's and hoping the same thing doesn't happen.

A mixture of both. If you gently twist or wiggle the cable connector you can see that the little red wire just inside the earpiece also twists or moves from side to side. I guess over time this movement can result in the wire breaking.

Whilst the idea of the cable being able to rotate 360 degrees isn't a bad one, I'm surprised that the delicate wires inside of the earphone are effected by any movement of the cable outside ... that seems like a design defect to me.

While I much prefer the over the ear cable relief of the UM Pro, I think I prefer the two pin connectors they used on the UM3x ... a much more solid connection. 

In fairness to Westone, someone in their customer service department emailed me pretty quickly to tell me someone else would be in touch regarding my defective earphones, but I've not heard from them yet. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,468 of 3,037

A mixture of both. If you gently twist or wiggle the cable connector you can see that the little red wire just inside the earpiece also twists or moves from side to side. I guess over time this movement can result in the wire breaking.

Whilst the idea of the cable being able to rotate 360 degrees isn't a bad one, I'm surprised that the delicate wires inside of the earphone are effected by any movement of the cable outside ... that seems like a design defect to me.

While I much prefer the over the ear cable relief of the UM Pro, I think I prefer the two pin connectors they used on the UM3x ... a much more solid connection. 

In fairness to Westone, someone in their customer service department emailed me pretty quickly to tell me someone else would be in touch regarding my defective earphones, but I've not heard from them yet. 

You can call them toll free to talk about your problem. Just paste this number in Skype: 1-800-525-5071

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,469 of 3,037
My right W30 experienced cutoffs due to a likely loose female pin. Somehow Westone 'tricked' me into upgrading to the UM PRO 50.

Looking forward to receive it. I used for 4.5 years Westone UM3x hence to say i'm excited it's an understatement.

I think that from 3 drivers on my emotional relation with music does not change much (while my wallet change noticiably for the worse). UM Pro 50 is gonna put this notion to test.

After a plethora of malfunctions with Westone gear (in spite of nursing it to OCD lenghts) if this set does not make it through a few years i guess i will stick just to Shure (brand that has provided me with zero failures in 9 years).

Rule of math: if it seems easy you're doing it wrong.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,470 of 3,037
So, I thought I accidentally killed my UM PRO30's by washing them when they were left in my shorts due to a hasty plane exit. To my excitement, they live, and still sound great!

I hope they continue to survive for a few years long.

I'm wanting to upgrade the cabling, specifically to cables that have inline mic/controls (I haven't yet searched the forum to find out if this is even possible, just wanted to chime in about their survival in an accidental clothes washing of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back