Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #811 of 3,037
There were no obstructions. I bought it new....

Anyway, I tried burning it over night. I _think_ the left side is getting better, but it might just be wishful thinking. An imbalance is still there. It's a shame since I have the Westone 2 and Westone 4R, but I have not experienced this before. Going back to the 4R doesn't feel right anymore because it lacks the "oomph" that the Pro 50's seem to have...at least out of the right side. It makes me all kinds of paranoid now...

What if...all of the people complaining about the UM Pro 50's sounding bad are really just getting bad copies?

What if...I return my my Pro 50's and get back ones that sound just like the same because that's actually how they sound like and I have funky ears?

What if...pigs start to fly? ㅠ.ㅠ

Part of me wants to get a different IEM if I am going to go through the hassle of returning these through international shipping. Maybe go big and get the W60 instead.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #812 of 3,037
Wonder if you could return them via a local distributor instead... Contact Westone directly and explain the situation.... They have a good customer service reputation. If they agree to do the swap locally with the local dealer for you to safe on shipping it's well worth the try...
From your description it looks like you may have a faulty unit...

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #813 of 3,037
I think I need to just have some people other people listen to my IEMs to verify whether or not I am going insane. It would be a nice if I knew any audiophiles here, particularly someone who has actually tried the UM Pro 50's.

I think the sound is starting to even out now, but maybe that's my confused brain. I will give them a few more days before I seriously start to return them. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #814 of 3,037
  I think I need to just have some people other people listen to my IEMs to verify whether or not I am going insane. It would be a nice if I knew any audiophiles here, particularly someone who has actually tried the UM Pro 50's.

I think the sound is starting to even out now, but maybe that's my confused brain. I will give them a few more days before I seriously start to return them. 

The fact that one side is louder than the other is definitely abnormal. You should highlight this to the seller or to Westone directly.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #815 of 3,037

just get the w60

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #816 of 3,037
Maybe you should try listening to some music in mono, easier to judge whether there's a channel inbalance, and also try swapping the phones around, they won't' be comfortable but they should go in with a good seal for testing.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #817 of 3,037
Hmmmm...I find that I'm not liking the Pro 50's as much as I wanted to. Besides the issue I described, it seems that oomph it provides is a bit much. My Westone 4R's seem like an overall much safer option that works with all genres. I listen to a variety of music so I really don't like to constantly switch out IEM's. 

Someone suggested to just get the W60. I might do that...but I need to mentally convince myself that it's a good idea first.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #818 of 3,037
  Hmmmm...I find that I'm not liking the Pro 50's as much as I wanted to. Besides the issue I described, it seems that oomph it provides is a bit much. My Westone 4R's seem like an overall much safer option that works with all genres. I listen to a variety of music so I really don't like to constantly switch out IEM's. 

Someone suggested to just get the W60. I might do that...but I need to mentally convince myself that it's a good idea first.

I suggest you give it some time to settle and burn in properly... it's the stock cable that takes a while, the IEM itself doesn't really need burning in.
It took mine about 3 weeks to get its final character... you can always change the stock cable to an after market cable like Toxic Cables.
Look for the thread on this forum http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-impressions-and-discussion-thread

I've recently ordered and received the Silver Poison which is a pure silver with 1% gold cable that fits the UM Pro 50 (which has mmcx connectors if you're not sure).
This cable gives me the extra details without introducing harshness of silver plated copper and without introducing listening fatigue.
The extra 1% gold in the pure silver strands gives the extra weight that compensates the usual thinness of pure silver.
There are also plenty of other brands out there and swapping the stock cable can give you the sound you're looking for. YMMV
Myself I bought the DIY version of the Silver Poison cable and I'm currently constructing it.

You can also get rid of the "bump" by reducing the 200 Hz band by 3 dB in your player...
Not sure what player software you use but I can recommend Neutron (both on Android and iOS).
Below are the EQ settings that worked for me to get rid of the mid bass bump :

Mid1-band, Gain (dB) = -3 dB
Mid1-band, Centre frequency (HZ) = 200 Hz
Mid1-band, Width (Octaves) = 2

All this might safe you from shelling extra $ to upgrade to the substantially more pricey W60.

If you find that after a month or so you still don't get what you're looking for then consider swapping your UM Pro 50.
I for one am extremely happy with the outcome and yes I had to be patient to get there... :wink:

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #819 of 3,037
Yesterday, I demoed a pair of w60 and compared it with my um3x. After using identical tips and switching back and forth, I found the sound stage of the w60 to be wider with better instrument extension and detail. Bass went just a little deeper however I still found the um3x to have better instrument separation. I prefer the um3x sound signature mainly during to the smaller and more intimate sound stage. In a nutshell, the w60 don't seem to be much of an improvement and definitely not worth the high asking price. I only paid $150 for my um3x. The fitears 334s are a different story though 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #821 of 3,037
If I decide to keep my Pro 50's a little longer, I don't think I want to keep on listening to them. If anything, I guess I'll burn them in by playing them through my Fiio X3 while I sleep.

If I end up getting a different IEM, I might get the overpriced Shure IEMs instead of the W60...

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #822 of 3,037
Searched for relevant terms ("nozzle", "bore", 'diameter") in this thread, but nothing definitive turned out letting me know what I believe is referred to as 'nozzle diameter' for the UM PRO 50's. Would some one mind cluing me in as to what size this should be and/or what tips are compatible with this particular iem? The nozzle looks much smaller than any tips I've ever seen, so wanna make sure I'm not wasting money/time buying the wrong ones. I see ebay has things like this that fit with other Westone models; would they also work with UMPRO 50's? (thanks in advance for any help)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medium-Triple-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Cushions-for-Westone-In-Ear-Earphones-Black-/201007677764?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eccfdc144

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #823 of 3,037
THE UM50 has the same nozzle diameter as the other Westone UM and W models (the the Shure SE series).

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #824 of 3,037
  Searched for relevant terms ("nozzle", "bore", 'diameter") in this thread, but nothing definitive turned out letting me know what I believe is referred to as 'nozzle diameter' for the UM PRO 50's. Would some one mind cluing me in as to what size this should be and/or what tips are compatible with this particular iem? The nozzle looks much smaller than any tips I've ever seen, so wanna make sure I'm not wasting money/time buying the wrong ones. I see ebay has things like this that fit with other Westone models; would they also work with UMPRO 50's? (thanks in advance for any help)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medium-Triple-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Cushions-for-Westone-In-Ear-Earphones-Black-/201007677764?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eccfdc144

the tips on the shure se seriees including the se846 fit the westone um , um  pro and w series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back