Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #632 of 3,037
Did anyone give their impressions on the UM PRO 10 yet?
I got them but I have no idea how I would describe it except that it is mid focused and detailed but I would like to be linked to some impressions on them if there are any.

Also, I got them for about 110 USD + tax at a Guitar Center which I thought it was a steal which hopefully it was (as I see it go for 149.99 USD on Amazon).

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #633 of 3,037
Hello Forum,

I've had the UM3X for 5+ years and really like the sound signature and comfort., recently the cable started to fail, on/off either earpiece. So I contacted Westone for a repair, I'm still waiting for a reply. But they already wrote about a replacement. I don't want any replacement and don't see any major issue in exchanging the cables or even the housing for the newer one with detachable cables.

Any one here has had a similar experience? and if so, is there other places where they can do the repair if Westone goes for the exchange policy?

Thank you

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #635 of 3,037
So, I just got my UM Pro 30's from a fellow Head-Fi'er and am so excited. They sound phenomenal and couldn't be happier. My only comparisons so far are with Klipsch X10's and Shure 840's, and without a doubt, I prefer the UM30's so far.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #636 of 3,037
So, I just got my UM Pro 30's from a fellow Head-Fi'er and am so excited. They sound phenomenal and couldn't be happier. My only comparisons so far are with Klipsch X10's and Shure 840's, and without a doubt, I prefer the UM30's so far.

Agree. UM30 Pro are in a different league than x10. I own both as well.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #637 of 3,037
@HiFiRobot, do you primarily use Spotify? I ask only because of your signature. I just signed up for the premium subscription service to a/b test it with my Google Music All Access subscription for audio quality, specifically for these UM Pro 30s. You have a preference strictly from an audio quality perspective? I also realize this topic has likely been discussed a million times over, but maybe not with regards to these IEMs.

Thanks!
-def

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #638 of 3,037
@HiFiRobot
, do you primarily use Spotify? I ask only because of your signature. I just signed up for the premium subscription service to a/b test it with my Google Music All Access subscription for audio quality, specifically for these UM Pro 30s. You have a preference strictly from an audio quality perspective? I also realize this topic has likely been discussed a million times over, but maybe not with regards to these IEMs.

Thanks!
-def

There shouldn't be any difference if your network is able to stream the music fast enough.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #639 of 3,037
Wanted to give more props to these IEMs, as they are my first headphones of any 'type' with non-memory cables, and i flippin' love not dealing with tangled or permanently twisted cables. Oh and I'm continually blown away at the sound quality and isolation I'm getting from these UM Pro 30s.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #640 of 3,037
  Hello Forum,

I've had the UM3X for 5+ years and really like the sound signature and comfort., recently the cable started to fail, on/off either earpiece. So I contacted Westone for a repair, I'm still waiting for a reply. But they already wrote about a replacement. I don't want any replacement and don't see any major issue in exchanging the cables or even the housing for the newer one with detachable cables.

Any one here has had a similar experience? and if so, is there other places where they can do the repair if Westone goes for the exchange policy?

Thank you

Today I got an email from Westone: 

" It has been determined that the issue you were experiencing was a result of a intermittent cable. Unfortunately, this is not a repair that we are able to complete; however, we do have a one-time out of warranty replacement offer available. This is an opportunity for you to purchase a brand new, un packaged UM Pro30  at a discounted price. "

So... what other option do I have? I really can't believe they're unable, or don't find cost efective to exchange the cables and just push you to keep spending. It's shameful. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #641 of 3,037
Today I got an email from Westone: 

" It has been determined that the issue you were experiencing was a result of a intermittent cable. Unfortunately, this is not a repair that we are able to complete; however, we do have a one-time out of warranty replacement offer available. This is an opportunity for you to purchase a brand new, un packaged UM Pro30  at a discounted price. "

So... what other option do I have? I really can't believe they're unable, or don't find cost efective to exchange the cables and just push you to keep spending. It's shameful. 

Do you have the removable cable version of the um3x or the fixed version?

If it's the fixed cable version, then it's not really viable for Westone to repair it

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #642 of 3,037
Do you have the removable cable version of the um3x or the fixed version?

If it's the fixed cable version, then it's not really viable for Westone to repair it

Hello Machbot,

It's the original UM3X from 2009 non Removable Cable version (not the UM3XRC). I can understand it is easier for them just to sell one new, but not viable? is changing a cable.

Thanks for your input

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #643 of 3,037
  Hello Machbot,

It's the original UM3X from 2009 non Removable Cable version (not the UM3XRC). I can understand it is easier for them just to sell one new, but not viable? is changing a cable.

Thanks for your input

Offers like these form the manufacturer are pretty generous in my opinion, and I'm not sure it would have been that much cheaper to repair if you tried to get it recabled from someone who knew how to do it after you factor in shipping costs. It would be pretty disgraceful if they tried to make you buy the new one after like 2 years of ownership - but after 5+ years, it's hard to complain, especially when they are offering you the newest model of the um3x at a discount for your old, well used, last generation pair. Just curious - how much do they want for the new ones they are offering you?

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #644 of 3,037
Hello Machbot,

Thanks for your input

You see, they'll have to crack open the shell and solder the new wires to the BA drivers, which is a delicate process. Then comes the problem of getting another pair of UM3x shells since they have probably damaged or destroyed the original shell when they crack it open.

Hence the reason why I've said repairing it isn't a viable option for Westone.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #645 of 3,037

Offers like these form the manufacturer are pretty generous in my opinion, and I'm not sure it would have been that much cheaper to repair if you tried to get it recabled from someone who knew how to do it after you factor in shipping costs. It would be pretty disgraceful if they tried to make you buy the new one after like 2 years of ownership - but after 5+ years, it's hard to complain, especially when they are offering you the newest model of the um3x at a discount for your old, well used, last generation pair. Just curious - how much do they want for the new ones they are offering you?

I totally agree. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back