Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #601 of 3,037
  Do you worry about having too much isolation?  Because that is the only worry I have with my customs - when the music is on, I really have to pay attention to my surroundings visually, because I can't hear a damned thing other than the shred.

I worry more about not having enough, too many loud people (even on the 'quiet' car), and I like to tune out (mostly) on the train. :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #603 of 3,037
  I've just asked for this but I had only half response; what is the difference between W and UM series?
:)

That's because it's not hard to find.  Not being a d!ck but come on:

The Westone series of earphones - Westone 1, Westone 2, Westone 3 and Westone 4 - were specifically designed for personal listening applications, for use with devices such as an iPod or MP3 player. The sound signature is balanced without accentuating any particular frequency band – perfect for prerecorded music – and was crafted based on feedback from our customers and what they wanted in the perfect personal listening earphone. The Westone 1, Westone 2, Westone 3 and Westone 4 are a result of our dedication to providing professional level sound in a personal listening earphone.

The UM (Universal Monitor) series was designed for onstage use in live sound applications as in-ear musicians’ monitors. The UM1, UM2 and UM3X all feature a greater emphasis on low frequency information, while maintaining excellent mids and highs. Because live music is less refined than prerecorded mastered music, musicians need an in-ear musicians’ monitor that have the frequencies necessary to handle whatever equalization is required to replicate the natural sound of their instrument. More headroom in the low frequencies also allows drummers and bassists to “feel” the additional low end associated with their instrument.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #607 of 3,037
Thank you for answer me. So what's the best for metal music? UM I gess(?)

I am in a similar position as I am looking to acquire the UM PRO 30 as well.  But I have too many IEMs right now
bigsmile_face.gif
.  I really enjoy the comfort of these IEMs.  I think the W series is probably better for personal use (sound wise) but if you are getting the UM Pro 30 discounted, it might be worth it.     

I think "what's better" depends on your preference.   

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #608 of 3,037
I am in a similar position as I am looking to acquire the UM PRO 30 as well.  But I have too many IEMs right now :bigsmile_face: .  I really enjoy the comfort of these IEMs.  I think the W series is probably better for personal use (sound wise) but if you are getting the UM Pro 30 discounted, it might be worth it.     

I think "what's better" depends on your preference.   

In my case I've no longer Iems cause I'm gone with open ortodynamic headphones. Now I've found a pair of UM Pro 30 for 200€ and I think to buy them. I need a pair of headphones only for listening during plane travel but I just can't use mediocre gear.:D

I guess above certain level of quality is only a matter of personal preference because the sound is anyway amazing.

I had experience with ue900, se535 and turbine pro copper.. My pref was the ue900 but they were lacking in some punch effect and bass presence. These Westone maybe could be what I was looking for :D

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #610 of 3,037
In my case I've no longer Iems cause I'm gone with open ortodynamic headphones. Now I've found a pair of UM Pro 30 for 200€ and I think to buy them. I need a pair of headphones only for listening during plane travel but I just can't use mediocre gear.:D

I guess above certain level of quality is only a matter of personal preference because the sound is anyway amazing.

I had experience with ue900, se535 and turbine pro copper.. My pref was the ue900 but they were lacking in some punch effect and bass presence. These Westone maybe could be what I was looking for :D

If you're talking about bass wise only, the UM series will be punchier than W series. Having owned both UM3X and W4R, I can say that bass punch and depth goes to UM3X.

I see that you've had UE900 and SE535. To me, both does not have great bass punch and quantity. You might want to check out ASG2 or 2.5. Best bass reproduction I've heard is actually from H300.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #612 of 3,037
If you're talking about bass wise only, the UM series will be punchier than W series. Having owned both UM3X and W4R, I can say that bass punch and depth goes to UM3X.

I see that you've had UE900 and SE535. To me, both does not have great bass punch and quantity. You might want to check out ASG2 or 2.5. Best bass reproduction I've heard is actually from H300.

Well bass aren't so important to me, but with metal and rock they give some power to music and I like them. 
I've decided to buy these headphones, for 200€ I think they worth the investment 

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #613 of 3,037

I went to the shops today to try out the ASG 2, the bass was truly amazing, very low in extension, not unlike the SE846's, what they lack to me are the mids and the trebles. There is a bass port on each driver where one could tune the bass supposedly, but I didn't try adjusting them. I was told the ASG 2.5 are not going to be available until next month or so. They asked me to try out the Astell & Kern AKR03 too and I thought, 12 bands per driver, isn't that a bit over the top? But why not? I got truly blown away, everything was there, every bit of details in the music, from the high trebles down to the vey low sub bass, absolutely nothing was missing! They are the perfect reference IEM! I wanted to get a pair immediately but they were sold out. I then went to my regular shop and somehow they had a pair. So during paying up, I was asking him about his thoughts on the UM Pro series, and he agreed with me that the UM Pro 50 are rubbish, he doesn't even stock them (in fact many shops I've been to don't stock them). When I asked about the other models in the series, he told me the built quality had been lacking since Westone sold their majority stake to a private equity firm, not unlike how when UE was sold to Logitech. He also told me he heard the ASG 2.5, they were supposed to be ASG 2 with different tuning, the bass was being toned down to bring up the highs and the mids, but to him the mids could be tuned up a little bit more. So I guess you have made a wise choice in choosing the ASG 2.5, the bass quality is much better than the UE900s. 
etysmile.gif

I am curious what kind of source or setup you are using when you tried the Pro 50. "Rubbish" is a very "strong" word
biggrin.gif
  I would say the pro 50s are not that bad at any aspect.
But I had an experience that was quite similar to what you said. I made a mistake when I was connecting from my player (fiio x5) to amp (fiio e12) using the "speaker out" instead of "line out".
That sounds really bad~~~and that is what you had described.
Actually, pro 50s sounds great even if you just directly connect it to a iphone 5.
But I am sure everyone has their own taste. For example, i do think "Astell & Kern" 180 (not sure if i remember their name correctly) player is not good at all. The sound is thin and not natural at all. However, I am sure some ppl like them. And, that is absolutely fine.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #614 of 3,037
Ok my UM Pro 30 are arrived and after a preliminary listening I can provide only few impressions. The sound quality is obviously amazing and they match their price point. I had less "wow" factor at the first listening because isn't the first time I use hi end iems but I've immediately noticed the great bass punch! These are by far the most powerful earphones I've ever heard.

Bass aside the overall sound is well balanced and dark, far from being as crisp as the ue900 which had better treble too.
These are anyway perfect for metal and I thanks the guy on this forum who have suggested these to me for metal genres!!!

Comfort at highest level and cable Fantastic! Really nice stuff!!!!!!!!!

LOL: after hearing Audioslave with these the wow factor is arrived :D amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back