Westone UM PRO Series Thread
May 24, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #586 of 3,037
^ I see. Too bad the Westone 4R has been discontinued already. No Westone 4R available here (I've seen W4 but I prefer removable cables).

Thanks anyway.

May 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #588 of 3,037
  It is a very good thing that W4 W4R have been discontinued because replacement W40 ia a better product with added bass that everyone was complaining about.

Hey don't dis my W4R custom - I've only had them a month and I really like them... Now I'm depressed 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #589 of 3,037
  It is a very good thing that W4 W4R have been discontinued because replacement W40 ia a better product with added bass that everyone was complaining about.

I didn't have much problem with the W4R bass. I thought it was of the right quantity in fact. Or at least to my listening preferences, it had the right quantity of bass. If you did feel the W4R was lacking I guess you'd have reason to rejoice :)

May 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #590 of 3,037
To me pro50 sound like pumped up UM3X which I used to own, especially towards bass area but also with some extension of treble.

UM3X had small sound stage which was often positively explained as "on the stage feel" with vocal to be felt really close to ears.

For pro50, with the enhancement on both bass and treble, as a result, relatively their mids (thus vocal) is not as close to my ears as in the case of UM3X.
However the sound stage is still small and "on the stage" feeling is maintained so I am not surprised to hear this is bigger bro of UM3X.

UM3X already had rather concentrated thick punchy sound, so may be for some people the even more boosted pro50 sound is not necessary.

Yet in my experience the feeling may vary drastically depending on the source, meaning the quality of music itself, file format (WAV, mp3 etc), DAP as well as amp.

Strongly recommend to avoid iPhone/iPod direct, and also, chose any DAP or amp that is not on the "thick and energetic" sound sig, because thick + thick is not a good combination.
AK120, Fiio X5 have been very good, and also imagine HP-P1 or any iQube family may suit nicely. Slightly doubt ZX1.

At least for me if things are settled nicely pro50 can offer pretty decent listening experience, and these are also mighty for monitoring purpose.

May 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #591 of 3,037
  Hey don't dis my W4R custom - I've only had them a month and I really like them... Now I'm depressed 
biggrin.gif

That's okay.  The one trait where W4 beats W40 is soundstage.  It's larger and wider than W40.  W40 is closer in and more intimate.  I much prefer a larger spread out soundstage..
If you do NOT wish for more bass, W4 might be the better choice.  But I am always looking for more heft and slam with zero distortion which is what W40 provides.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #592 of 3,037
Someone can explain me what are the differences between UM Pro series and W series? I could buy an Um Pro 30 for 200€ but I don't know Westone products very well... how are the um pro 30 compared to ue900 which I owned? I haven't found any comparative for these two iem

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #593 of 3,037
  Someone can explain me what are the differences between UM Pro series and W series? I could buy an Um Pro 30 for 200€ but I don't know Westone products very well... how are the um pro 30 compared to ue900 which I owned? I haven't found any comparative for these two iem

Try searching for Westone UM3X, they are the same as Um Pro 30 except housing.  The new ones (UM Pro 30) are better.

Try this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638110/westone-4-vs-um3x-vs-ue-900

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #594 of 3,037
I am still looking at all the Westone options, I am holding out for W60 reviews. The thing I want from a replacement to my West one 3's is more (but articulate) bass and maybe some more soundstage when the music requires it. Maybe I should look outside of Westone as well?

Scott

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #595 of 3,037
Steve Guttenberg of CNET has posted his review of the ES60s puts them above the JH IEMs:
http://www.cnet.com/news/westone-goes-for-the-gold-with-its-new-es60-in-ear-headphones/

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #596 of 3,037
  Steve Guttenberg of CNET has posted his review of the ES60s puts them above the JH IEMs:
http://www.cnet.com/news/westone-goes-for-the-gold-with-its-new-es60-in-ear-headphones/

I've been pondering CIEM's as well, I worry about isolation (important to me as I use them for my hour-and-a-half train commute).

Scott

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #597 of 3,037
biggrin.gif
Wow - Guttenberg has relayed some very important info in his review of the ES60...

"I talked with Westone's Karl Cartwright about how the ES60s are built. Each one is literally made to order, to perfectly fit the customer's ears."

Didn't know that...

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #600 of 3,037
  I've been pondering CIEM's as well, I worry about isolation (important to me as I use them for my hour-and-a-half train commute).

Scott

Do you worry about having too much isolation?  Because that is the only worry I have with my customs - when the music is on, I really have to pay attention to my surroundings visually, because I can't hear a damned thing other than the shred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back