Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,381 of 3,037
Review of Westone UM56 custom eartips is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-um-56/reviews/13335

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,382 of 3,037
I'm thinking to upgrade my um30 to um50. Could anyone point me to some comparative reviews? Or just summarize the diffs quickly ?

Also, are the um50 a sort of "es5 in universal shells" or those are very different hp-s?

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,383 of 3,037
Jun 11, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,384 of 3,037
OK, so an update in the shure silicone tips that twister and I have been talking about (if anyone else was following that is). I definitely agree that these tips clear up the top end enough that eq is not longer desired with the pro50s. Doesn't seem to have any affect I can sense in the bass, just lifts the slight veil in the treble that is present with the star tips.

Gotta say, got my n6 in too and the pro50s with the n6 is a pretty killer combo.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,385 of 3,037
OK, so an update in the shure silicone tips that twister and I have been talking about (if anyone else was following that is). I definitely agree that these tips clear up the top end enough that eq is not longer desired with the pro50s. Doesn't seem to have any affect I can sense in the bass, just lifts the slight veil in the treble that is present with the star tips.

Gotta say, got my n6 in too and the pro50s with the n6 is a pretty killer combo.

Thanks.  I was following and also ordered the tips.  Hope to receive them in a day or so.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #1,386 of 3,037

+100 :)

At first I ordered a full set of Shure tips (S/M/L silicone and foam from ebay) and now ordered a set of L and a set of M silicone tips from Sweatwater.  For under $12 shipped you get 5 pairs of genuine Shure tips and a cleaning tool.  I really like those tips, easy to wash, sit tight on W- and UM- series nozzles, and especially if you are using the largest star tip - shure is shorter so IEMs are more flush with your ears.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,387 of 3,037
It is shorter and more flush I agree. I am finding a seal a but harder to get though. The Star fit are easy, I just jam them in as deep as they will go. The shure tips need to be more gently put in, and I am finding if I put them in too deep they don't seal as well. Once I find the sweet spot all is good though.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,388 of 3,037
It's been a long time since I last talked on this forum. I am extremely pleased with my UM Pro 50s. After changing my cables out with both pure Silver litz and SPC litz cables. I truly enjoy both of them. Pushing the sound out of my Note 4, it sounds pretty decent. I hope to make a purchase with FiiO and their soon to be released X7.
The "darker" sound that the UM series has is awesome. I love it.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,389 of 3,037
I think I have had my pair for about 5 months now and have zero intentions of any upgrade.
Pro50 took my ears (or me),...the longest to adjust to of any other earphone I have ever owned.  Not sure why but that's what it is.
It is great for every kind of music and a real quality, organic sound.  Quality drivers, like nothing ever sounds artificial or boosted.  UNARGUABLY the greatest comfort/cable and IEM housing on the planet.  Unbelievable for a 5 driver set-up.

With every other IEM, after a few months, I get the itch for something else, or I am missing something that I want back.......with Pro50 it's like that old favorite pair of jeans.  Everything is fine.  I like it more as time goes on.  While the bass is pretty big, because of Pro50's overall presentation sounding so organic and natural, I almost "hear" it as a pretty neutral sounding earphone.  Hard to explain.  Like it has zero fatigue factor yet you can crank it up to earsplitting levels with ZERO distortion and just rock out and your ears handle it with ease.  Just effortlessly enjoying your music.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1,390 of 3,037

Many thanks, your very nice review covers pretty much everything I wanted to know. Thinking much more seriously about the upgrade now.

Still a bit worried about that bass .. hopefully not too much for me. I think the um30 are good enough in terms of bass quantity and I'll be happy with just a tad more punch and a bit of extra texture/quality.
We'll see how it goes.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,391 of 3,037
Listening to the shure tips all day. I feel like they are also tightening up the bass somewhat compared to the star tips. Am I imagining this?

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,392 of 3,037

Many thanks, your very nice review covers pretty much everything I wanted to know. Thinking much more seriously about the upgrade now.

Still a bit worried about that bass .. hopefully not too much for me. I think the um30 are good enough in terms of bass quantity and I'll be happy with just a tad more punch and a bit of extra texture/quality.
We'll see how it goes.

The beauty of tip rolling - you can control amount of bass by going between larger and smaller tips :wink:

Listening to the shure tips all day. I feel like they are also tightening up the bass somewhat compared to the star tips. Am I imagining this?

That's just a perfect/natural seal that gives you this perception.  I feel the same way too!

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,393 of 3,037
So a little while back, my Pro 50's sounded off when I hooked up to one of my portable setups - and I switched cables and the problem switched sides - I fiddled with the connector - cleaning it and still no change - the left side sounded piercing and sibilant....

Upon further inspection it looked like the filter in the nozzle disappeared 
eek.gif

I researched the filter a bit figuring it just must have slipped out somewhere - but I couldn't find the old one and couldn't find info on where to get a new one. Contacted Westone and they wouldn't let me buy a filter so I got an RMA and sent them in today's mail.

A question for those who have Westone warranty service - they asked me to ship both buds and the cable and nothing else (I put them in the little orange IEM case) - they stated that warranty service for universal product was 3-5 days turnaround...

Are they going to fix it and send me my old pair back? Just jamming in a new filter?

Or do they usually send a new one - it is an expensive IEM - if there is a defect in the nozzle where it is easy for a filter to fall out, I would hope they effect a repair with a bit of glue - I'm just not sure what will happen.

Any takers?

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,394 of 3,037
@Ivabign : when you say filter disappeared, do you mean a little silverish cylinder thing in the nozzle?  Do you have a picture you can share?  The reason I'm asking, I went through a mad tip rolling with my pair of Pro 50s, including trying a bunch of spacers to use with regular tips, etc.  At some point I was hearing a bit of imbalance until I looked closer and saw one shell had some tiny foam piece stuck inside of the nozzle.  I figured it came off one of the foam tips I tried, rather than disappearing from other nozzle which didn't have it.  After removing it with a toothpick, now it sounds perfect!

Regarding Westone warranty, I have a feeling they will send you a new pair.  They typically don't repair it, but rather replace it.  I even remember reading that some people who serviced their W4R under warranty got W40 as a replacement.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,395 of 3,037
  @Ivabign : when you say filter disappeared, do you mean a little silverish cylinder thing in the nozzle?  Do you have a picture you can share?  The reason I'm asking, I went through a mad tip rolling with my pair of Pro 50s, including trying a bunch of spacers to use with regular tips, etc.  At some point I was hearing a bit of imbalance until I looked closer and saw one shell had some tiny foam piece stuck inside of the nozzle.  I figured it came off one of the foam tips I tried, rather than disappearing from other nozzle which didn't have it.  After removing it with a toothpick, now it sounds perfect!

Regarding Westone warranty, I have a feeling they will send you a new pair.  They typically don't repair it, but rather replace it.  I even remember reading that some people who serviced their W4R under warranty got W40 as a replacement.

Don't have it to send now - it's on the way to Colorado Springs....

But one nozzle had a silver cylinder in it - the one that sounded wrong, didn't - I jut figured they were in both and one went missing....

If they send me anew pair, I won't complain - if they fix it, I won't complain - warranty is a warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back