Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,411 of 3,037
Btw, I have on burn in right now ASEN silver cable (3.5mm: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9Y1SKS/ and 2.5mm balanced: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9YKB42/) and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far! I have a few silver $350+ cables, and these from ASEN for $219 sound as good.  This silver version is brand new, just introduced earlier this month.  Got them directly from ASEN for review.  They are a bit thinner than other silver cables, and do come with a nice hard case.  Like their color coded connector housing.  Headphone plug is quality carbon fiber.  Not a fan of memory wire, but it looks like very easy to remove, which I'm planning to do after the review.  For sure, these are superior in sound quality to Epic cable, and on par with other silver cables: tightening up the bass, improving dynamics, adding more sparkle and brightening up upper mids/treble with a consequent perception of slightly expanded staging.  I should have review soon, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up!

Thanks to @ericp10 for pointing out these cables/brand!

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,412 of 3,037
Twist - in both Amazon pages, the ASEN cables state "silver plated" somewhere in the description - are these SPC? Or do you think it is listed in error? Or could they be similar to like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon which has a silver leg and a copper leg?

Have they told you?

Cheers

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,413 of 3,037
  Btw, I have on burn in right now ASEN silver cable (3.5mm: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9Y1SKS/ and 2.5mm balanced: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9YKB42/) and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far! I have a few silver $350+ cables, and these from ASEN for $219 sound as good.  This silver version is brand new, just introduced earlier this month.  Got them directly from ASEN for review.  They are a bit thinner than other silver cables, and do come with a nice hard case.  Like their color coded connector housing.  Headphone plug is quality carbon fiber.  Not a fan of memory wire, but it looks like very easy to remove, which I'm planning to do after the review.  For sure, these are superior in sound quality to Epic cable, and on par with other silver cables: tightening up the bass, improving dynamics, adding more sparkle and brightening up upper mids/treble with a consequent perception of slightly expanded staging.  I should have review soon, but just wanted to give you guys a heads up!

Thanks to @ericp10 for pointing out these cables/brand!

Glad you went to check them out twister6. I'm loving mine on the Pro 50. One of the best investment I ever made. It took a very good universal to outstanding level!!!

Twist - in both Amazon pages, the ASEN cables state "silver plated" somewhere in the description - are these SPC? Or do you think it is listed in error? Or could they be similar to like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon which has a silver leg and a copper leg?

Have they told you?

Cheers

I have the SPC one. There is, however, a silver one. Based on twister's description, I'm pretty sure he has the all silver (which fits the price too..... the SPC is about $70 cheaper on amazon). 

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,414 of 3,037
I will definitely double check with ASEN before review is up.  For sure, the one Eric got was either silver plated or high N-percentage OFC, and it was cheaper.  The one I received says silver on the package and it's their new line.  Quite amazing for $200 plus change with a case and carbon fiber connector (3.5mm or 2.5mm TRRS balanced wired).  But lower price could be due to a cable been a little thinner in comparison to something like 24.5 AWG pure silver Whiplash wires.  Still, a good alternative to save $100+.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,415 of 3,037
Mine is definitely silver-plated. I check it out on the official website before purchasing on amazon. But on amazon it's listed as silver-plated too. And did come in a nice protective case/bag. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,416 of 3,037
I found this PDF on their website and indeed it is 5N Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper:

http://www.asen.com.tw/pic/pdf/Performance/MCX.pdf

I'm interested to see how the cable fares in regards to ergonomics and sonics when compared to the Whiplash offerings which Twister has reviewed so well !

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,418 of 3,037
  I found this PDF on their website and indeed it is 5N Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper:

http://www.asen.com.tw/pic/pdf/Performance/MCX.pdf

I'm interested to see how the cable fares in regards to ergonomics and sonics when compared to the Whiplash offerings which Twister has reviewed so well !

I only got silver plated in 3.5mm to 3.5mm flavor

With mmcx connector (and 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced plugs) I got their pure silver one

First impression with silver plated one, tested with ATH-MSR7 and Master&Dynamic M40, it brightens up a sound, makes it a little more clear, and expands soundstage perception.  The synergy with brighter signature MSR7 wasn't as good as with darker/warmer M40 because it pushed MSR7 treble to a harshness limit.  With M40 it lifted a bit of veil making it more detailed, opening up mids more, tightening up the bass.  Changes are not drastic, but enough to be noticed.  The build quality is fantastic, all headphone connectors are carbon fiber.  3.5mm cable has like a paracord type of braided exterior.  Silver cable is very nice too, flexible enough and not as bad microphonics if you compare it to FiiO cables.

With ASEN silver cable in comparison to Whiplash, you can see and feel the difference since Whiplash wires are thicker and cable jacket is softer and more flexible.

It terms of sound quality improvement, Whiplash makes it a touch more detailed, a bit tighter, a little more sparkle and airiness, and it has less microphonics.  But the main point, Whiplash cost almost 2x as much.  So, ASEN pure silver makes a very nice "budget" alternative with a VERY high quality build (nicely braided, sturdy rubbery y-splitter and rubber chocker, carbon fiber gold plated connector, mmcx connectors with color housing to distinguish Red-right, memory wire which looks to be easy to remove).

If you have extra money to spend and you want to squeeze every bit of performance improvement, Whiplash would be the way to go.  But ASEN is no slouch with it's performance improvement and built quality.  For $219 I haven't seen a quality 1.3m pure silver cable at this level.

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,419 of 3,037
Recently sent my Westone UM Pro 30 for an RMA because the right earpiece died 3 weeks ago, just received it now, but now I have this weird sense that these drivers were once bigger?

What made me doubt the size of the drivers was how big the surrounding plastic supports are around them.

Edit: I've found out that there are models with the PCB facing inside the ear and there's another with the PCB facing outside, the old ones I have had the PCB facing outside, these new ones face inside. Is this a ninja modification from Westone or are there official articles regarding this?

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,420 of 3,037
Picked up some UM Pro20's used from Amazon, $200. They came with an assortment of fittings to dial in a good fit.

Sound-wise is pretty good and flat. Straight out of the iphone aint bad. Plugged into a decent amp and they light up pretty nice. Bass gets punchy while the lower-high end tends to need a slight lift, IMO. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,422 of 3,037
  There is a massdrop for W30 and UM30PRO. 299$ is a fair price I believe. Some may be interested. 

Where is this mass drop at? Can't find it in amazon. Mind sharing the link? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,425 of 3,037
https://www.massdrop.com/home you have to make an account. It just needs your email adress same as headfi.

Is massdrop legit? And from the comments at the W30 massdrop page, there are some who are concerned about the warranty

Sonicelectronix can prob match that and they are an authorized dealer.  And quick delivery.  Give them a call.

Thanks mate, have just sent them a mail. Awaiting for their reply 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back