Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #707 of 3,037
Ok how should I listen to it?

My choice of words are probably not ideal for the previous post.

Just find a quiet spot and immerse yourself in music. Being able to tell the minute differences comes with experience and cannot be taught.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #709 of 3,037
I personally really dislike Pro 50 sound signature, the demos I heard had low definition and sounded muddy. Although I have not listened to my UM2 for many years now, but I can imagine that's what the Pro 50 sound like. I think Pro 50 is one of the worst in the new Westone line, even my Pro 30 sound a lot lot better than them.

So I just got the Um Pro 50s but they sound the same as my Um 2s with the same tips. Does burning in the cable really help? Kind of confused here since I thought I would be able to really tell the difference in sound but so far I haven't. Any help is appreciated. Thank you! 

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #710 of 3,037
i have to agree with Danz here. the pro 50 sounded worst among the current generation of westone iems to me as well.

in my previous impression posts i said that the pro50 sounded like they had flat mid and treble but boosted bass, slightly leaning more in the mid bass region, giving an overall impression of muddy and dull like danz experienced. 

As opposed to the w60 which sounded much more lively, dynamic and enjoyable. but for 400usd extra i couldn't bring myself to purchase it

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #714 of 3,037
Has anyone tried both UM 20 PRO and UM 30 PRO? I wonder if the difference of them remains the same as the previous generation UM2 vs UM3X - former is said to be more "fun". latter is more analytical and feels like a studio monitor. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #715 of 3,037
I've heard many ppl say that, in fact the shop where I bought my W60 from reminded me of that fact when I said I wanted to have a pair. But then since I dislike the Pro 50 sound signature so much, I wouldn't use them even if they were given to me for free, and a lot of ppl would spend $400+ on cable anyway, which I did too to enable me to use them with the balanced output of the AK240, but I decided now I much prefer them with the stock unbalanced cable. To me, the W60 sound signature is quite unique, with trebles as smooth as butter and bass as deep as the SE846 but not as punchy, and a wide soundstage. Using the balanced output of the AK240 makes the soundstage even more wide with an almost surreal spatial effect, but takes out the solidness of the instruments and vocals at the same time. So if one likes that kind of sound signature, the extra $400 is worth it, especially good with atmospheric electronic music or relaxing new age, will send one to sleep in no time.

As opposed to the w60 which sounded much more lively, dynamic and enjoyable. but for 400usd extra i couldn't bring myself to purchase it

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #716 of 3,037
I've not heard the pro 20, but if they were like the UM2, then they should sound a bit dull and less detailed than the pro 30. I personally think the Pro 30 are the best valued for money out of the current Westone series.

Has anyone tried both UM 20 PRO and UM 30 PRO? I wonder if the difference of them remains the same as the previous generation UM2 vs UM3X - former is said to be more "fun". latter is more analytical and feels like a studio monitor. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #717 of 3,037
I've not heard the pro 20, but if they were like the UM2, then they should sound a bit dull and less detailed than the pro 30. I personally think the Pro 30 are the best valued for money out of the current Westone series.

There is a difference of approx. USD 120 between 20 pro and 30 prop where I live. Anyway I have been using my UM2 for more than 2 years and as of now I have not got the motivation to buy 30 pro. For I bought my UM2 second-hand and it looked antique enough I may only sell it for much less than 100 bucks. So getting 30 prop would be pricey with probably insignificant improvement to the SQ. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #718 of 3,037
I switched to UM2 after my Shure SE530 was broken within 9 months of use, been happy with them for 2 years until the cable broke so I switched to UM3x. Then one of the drivers died so i had to dig out my UM2 to use before I got my UM3x fixed, and I remembered how undetailed the UM2 sounded compared to the UM3x, so the difference of SQ is not insignificant, even tough the sound signature is quite similar. My Pro 30 now sound nearly or identical to my UM3x/UM3xRC and I do love that sound signature, quite balanced in everyway. I still use them as my reference IEM when I test the other headphones/IEMs before I buy them, and I also use them as reference to judge my mixes afterwards, if they sound good on my Pro 30, they will sound good with anything, speakers or phones.

There is a difference of approx. USD 120 between 20 pro and 30 prop where I live. Anyway I have been using my UM2 for more than 2 years and as of now I have not got the motivation to buy 30 pro. For I bought my UM2 second-hand and it looked antique enough I may only sell it for much less than 100 bucks. So getting 30 prop would be pricey with probably insignificant improvement to the SQ. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #719 of 3,037
Can anyone elaborate (sorry if this has been asked before)on the difference between quality in the old UM3/2 series and the new UM PRO? I feel as if the mmcx cable looks weaker than the old two prong. I was considering upgrading to the UM50 but the build quality is something I want to know about compared to the past UM3x series which had incredibly high quality bodies and cables. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #720 of 3,037
  Can anyone elaborate (sorry if this has been asked before)on the difference between quality in the old UM3/2 series and the new UM PRO? I feel as if the mmcx cable looks weaker than the old two prong. I was considering upgrading to the UM50 but the build quality is something I want to know about compared to the past UM3x series which had incredibly high quality bodies and cables. 

I have the UMPro30 but haven't had any experience with the older version.  I can tell you that the MMCX cable is really good on the Westones.  I have connected multiple after markets cables to it and no problems.  I can't say the same about my Shures.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back