Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #736 of 3,037

I could tell there is a big difference between my UM2s and GR07s. But I could not tell much difference between 30 pro, UE900s during my audition. As i I said briefly, in a matter of minutes, I did not have adequate time to make good judgment I reckon.

Well.. I had UE 900s and now I've got the UM Pro 30. To my ears they are totally different. UM Pro 30 have much more bass, better mids and less high. Ue 900s have wider soundstage and more detail but maybe its just more evident because of the bright signature. UM Pro 30 are darker and, in my opinion, better in every aspect and less fatiguing. Apart from subjective evaluation I think Westone are of another league. 

Let's say they are totally different IEMs ;D

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #737 of 3,037

Well.. I had UE 900s and now I've got the UM Pro 30. To my ears they are totally different. UM Pro 30 have much more bass, better mids and less high. Ue 900s have wider soundstage and more detail but maybe its just more evident because of the bright signature. UM Pro 30 are darker and, in my opinion, better in every aspect and less fatiguing. Apart from subjective evaluation I think Westone are of another league. 

Let's say they are totally different IEMs ;D

Yes, I would have though so since the UM pro are basically redesigned um3x. 
I haven't heard of an universal iem below the $1000 mark that beats the um3x in midrange, separation and bass. 
The treble and soundstage acts like a double-edged sword.
Lack of treble spark = non fatiguing listening/no treble harshness.
Lack of soundstage = intimacy/true stage monitoring iems 
I really love my um3x rc ltd. That's why I still have mine after 3 years 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #738 of 3,037
  Yes, I would have though so since the UM pro are basically redesigned um3x. 
I haven't heard of an universal iem below the $1000 mark that beats the um3x in midrange, separation and bass. 
The treble and soundstage acts like a double-edged sword.
Lack of treble spark = non fatiguing listening/no treble harshness.
Lack of soundstage = intimacy/true stage monitoring iems 
I really love my um3x rc ltd. That's why I still have mine after 3 years 
bigsmile_face.gif

Same could be said about my um2 regarding treble spark and soundstage. After getting GR07 as complementary IEM, I don't foresee I will buy another pair of IEM... The difference between um2 (20 pro) um3x (30 pro) is subjective (which one is better for example) to motivate upgrade 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #739 of 3,037

Same could be said about my um2 regarding treble spark and soundstage. After getting GR07 as complementary IEM, I don't foresee I will buy another pair of IEM... The difference between um2 (20 pro) um3x (30 pro) is subjective (which one is better for example) to motivate upgrade 
smily_headphones1.gif

I highly recommend you try out the um3x as it it improves on the strengths of the um2. Trust me, you won't regret it.
You'll also be getting the same comfort since the um1/2/3x is identical in shape and size. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #740 of 3,037
UM3X and Pro30 are nice but the treble roll-off is severe.    It is the #1 reason people get rid of it.

W30 is a much better choice.  More treble, more air with zero harshness.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #741 of 3,037
  UM3X and Pro30 are nice but the treble roll-off is severe.    It is the #1 reason people get rid of it.

W30 is a much better choice.  More treble, more air with zero harshness.

The W30 (W3) while has quite a lot more treble (sibilant at times), and larger sound stage,does have a recessed mid range and mid bass hump. Instrument separation is not nearly as good. Overall, the sound on the um3x is less fatiguing. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #742 of 3,037
  The W30 (W3) while has quite a lot more treble (sibilant at times), and larger sound stage,does have a recessed mid range and mid bass hump. Instrument separation is not nearly as good. Overall, the sound on the um3x is less fatiguing. 

Just by the fact that you indicated "W30 (W3)"  tells me you have not heard the W30 so how can  you even comment??

The W30 sounds NOTHING like the W3.  It uses 3 different drivers all tuned differently than W3 and has a different housing in addition to that!

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #743 of 3,037
  Just by the fact that you indicated "W30 (W3)"  tells me you have not heard the W30 so how can  you even comment??

The W30 sounds NOTHING like the W3.  It uses 3 different drivers all tuned differently than W3 and has a different housing in addition to that!

I've heard the W3 but not the W30. I just know for a fact that the W30 is based on the W3 but in a different design housing much like how the UM 30 pro is to the UM3X.  

I think you have been misinformed. 

Don't believe me, read this forum. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691700/review-westone-um-30-pro

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #744 of 3,037
  I've heard the W3 but not the W30. I just know for a fact that the W30 is based on the W3 but in a different design housing much like how the UM 30 pro is to the UM3X.  

I think you have been misinformed. 

Don't believe me, read this forum. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691700/review-westone-um-30-pro

What does the UMPro 30 have to do with anything??  I think you have your IEM's confused.

UM3X is same as Pro30....just different housing.

Read the first post in this thread.  This is not me talking, this is Westone.  Please quit confusing people.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729130/w3-versus-w30-exciting-news

W30 is a completely re-design from W3, different drivers, different tuning AND different housing.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #746 of 3,037
Westone is confusing people. :confused:

I agree

What does the UMPro 30 have to do with anything??  I think you have your IEM's confused.

UM3X is same as Pro30....just different housing.

Read the first post in this thread.  This is not me talking, this is Westone.  Please quit confusing people.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729130/w3-versus-w30-exciting-news

W30 is a completely re-design from W3, different drivers, different tuning AND different housing.

You may be right about the w30 being different from the w3 but according to this review, it still seems very similar to the w3s.  
http://www.headphonescanada.ca/blog/westone-w30-vs-um-pro-30

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #747 of 3,037
I agree
You may be right about the w30 being different from the w3 but according to this review, it still seems very similar to the w3s.  
http://www.headphonescanada.ca/blog/westone-w30-vs-um-pro-30

Nope, I've had experience with both w3 and w30, owned the w3 for 8 months before sending it back to westone for a replacement. Got a w30 in return.

The w30 doesn't have the mid bass hump and the trebles are much more tamed(not sibilant). It should also be noted that the w30 is using a red acoustic filter while the w3 had a white one. Also, the w3 is louder than the w30 when driven at the same level on my phone, tested it out in the store with my w3 by the side.

With different acoustic filters and the w30 being softer than the w3, they can't possibly sound the same, right?

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #748 of 3,037
Westone is confusing people. :confused:

I agree that they have done a poor job re-marketing the new IEM's that had significant changes (as well as the new ones for that matter).  W30 was perhaps the most drastic departure from it's predecessor.

But fortunately, some of us has heard it and can confirm it is a much better version of W3, UM3X and W4 all in one piece.  

W30 is the only IEM in the $400 range that I can say trumps my custom JH5 and that's pretty significant.

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #749 of 3,037
For what it's worth.......and I never mentioned this because so few have heard W40 but in addition to what I described above, W30 is like a W40 with more air and crispness.
After hearing both side by side I would be shocked if anyone preferred W40.  Westone should dump it from the lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back