Westone UM PRO Series Thread
May 1, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,851 of 3,037
May 1, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,852 of 3,037
Congrats on your UM2. These were built between 2008 and 2011.

Sorry that I have been MIA. I have been fighting the flu and strep which effectively took me out of the game for the past week...

As for older models, we just moved our music office and while cleaning everything out we found a few boxes of old product that never even made it into packaging. We found W1-4r and UM1-3. I am having a team member sweep and listen to them to make sure they are good (which so far they are) and then we are figuring out what to do with them... This is pretty cool timing as it is our 60th anniversary so we might be able to have some history fun.

Thank you very much! Oh and sent you a PM BKG22

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #2,853 of 3,037
I would just like to say:

UM Pro 50 + FiiO X5 + E12A + Bass Boost +Björk's Biophilia = Holy Beautiful Bass Balls, Batman!

BiffWhammSock.gif

May 2, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,854 of 3,037
I would just like to say:

UM Pro 50 + FiiO X5 + E12A + Bass Boost +Björk's Biophilia = Holy Beautiful Bass Balls, Batman!

BiffWhammSock.gif

now imagine an upgrade to UM Pro 50 v2 and a better DAP? :wink:

May 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,855 of 3,037
Oh, they're v2.

I have to say, I have little desire to upgrade DAPs or DAC/amps. My DragonFly recently started acting up and I was ruing having to find my next DAC, but thankfully AudioQuest got back to me and hopefully I'll be able to get it replaced. Fingers crossed!

But in the meantime, any recommendations for a portable DAC/amp? :wink:

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #2,856 of 3,037
Oh, they're v2.

I have to say, I have little desire to upgrade DAPs or DAC/amps. My DragonFly recently started acting up and I was ruing having to find my next DAC, but thankfully AudioQuest got back to me and hopefully I'll be able to get it replaced. Fingers crossed!

But in the meantime, any recommendations for a portable DAC/amp? :wink:

Don't want to derail the thread, just ping me in PM (your budget and requirements).

May 14, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #2,859 of 3,037
I would be VERY interested to see EQ profile that they end up with. Very.
who else wanna make this happen..
Well, the cheaper route without being able to listen to EQ'ed mobile Spotify and local music is to just send the Westone to oratory1990 on reddit and he'll happily return a the responding parametric EQ settings.
I live in Asia so it's a bit of a hassle :/

May 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #2,860 of 3,037
anyone calibrated their UM Pro 50 for Sonarworks True-Fi yet? I'm interesting in sending in my V2, anyone wanna chime in :D

p.s: or a EQ preset to the Harman target. I'd like to try it out.

I was reading their website, and sorry, but I don't quite understand the purpose of it. Every company has a vision how they want their iem to sound and tune it based on that "'vision". Every end user has their own personal sound preference and might apply some eq to fine-tune the sound to their liking.

So, what is the benefit of a 3rd party which going to step in and tell you this is a correct eq for this particular pair of IEMs? :wink: and charge you for it? Unless I'm missing something. I do understand about the existence of Harman target curve, again someone else's vision of how the sound should be tuned, but in my mind this is so subjective. It's like people sharing their personal favorite eq presets :D

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #2,861 of 3,037
I've had a the BT20 for a while to use with my MMCX earbuds. Decided to throw them on my Westones to check fit. It is decent once I massage the 'cable' to line the earpieces up with my ear shape/canal.

Nice to have a truly wireless setup. Sound is ok, doesn't seem to color it. Unfortunately my source doesn't let me select AAC so it's only SBC currently, but overall works fine for being out and about.

20190508_005216.jpg

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,862 of 3,037
Maybe this isn't the right place to do it, but I recall some people giving feedback about Westone customer service. All I can say is WOW. In my recent interactions with them they have really gone the extra mile. I am true fan of their CS and I am extremely pleased.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,863 of 3,037
Maybe this isn't the right place to do it, but I recall some people giving feedback about Westone customer service. All I can say is WOW. In my recent interactions with them they have really gone the extra mile. I am true fan of their CS and I am extremely pleased.

Care to elaborate more?

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #2,864 of 3,037
Ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

My mother-in-law and her husband have been visiting, so I've been spending more time than usual hiding in my bedroom, listening to the UM Pro 50. However, last night I put my little music setup, including the earphones on top of my book, then I put a water glass next to my book. You can probably guess what happens next. I want my book, so move my earphones and promptly drop one earpiece into my water glass. Uuuggghhh. @$%^#$^&&@#^ S.F.G.D.
As quick as I could I disconnected them shook any water off and put the affected earpiece in a ZipLock baggie with rice. It's been there ever since, about 24 hours. I'd like to listen to them, but I'm afraid of damaging something.
I'm not sure that any water actually made it inside the IEM. I have pretty quick reflexes, so it was submerged for maybe a second at most.

I'm generally not a clumsy person, so I'm especially annoyed with myself.
On the other hand, I'm hoping no permanent damage has been done yet, as everything was off when the earpiece went in the drink.

Does anybody have any advice for this kind of mishap? How long should I leave it in the rice baggie? Might I hurt the IEMs or my other equipment if I use them before they're completely dry? Is there some other more effective way to dry them out? I used to have a bunch of silica gel packs, but I moved those into the extremely damp* basement for the m-i-l's visit, so I'm sure those are history, too. Sigh.

*Why is my basement extremely damp, you ask? Because it's been raining so hard that not only is the basement just generally leaking and seeping water through the century old walls, but my #%$^&*@$ toilet, tub, and bathroom sink all started vomiting up sewer water, which, of course, also leaked into the basement. Oh yeah, and the washing machine drain, as well. Uuuggghhh. It's been such a long week. At least we're only renting.
Okay. Whining is ending now.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,865 of 3,037
Ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

My mother-in-law and her husband have been visiting, so I've been spending more time than usual hiding in my bedroom, listening to the UM Pro 50. However, last night I put my little music setup, including the earphones on top of my book, then I put a water glass next to my book. You can probably guess what happens next. I want my book, so move my earphones and promptly drop one earpiece into my water glass. Uuuggghhh. @$%^#$^&&@#^ S.F.G.D.
As quick as I could I disconnected them shook any water off and put the affected earpiece in a ZipLock baggie with rice. It's been there ever since, about 24 hours. I'd like to listen to them, but I'm afraid of damaging something.
I'm not sure that any water actually made it inside the IEM. I have pretty quick reflexes, so it was submerged for maybe a second at most.

I'm generally not a clumsy person, so I'm especially annoyed with myself.
On the other hand, I'm hoping no permanent damage has been done yet, as everything was off when the earpiece went in the drink.

Does anybody have any advice for this kind of mishap? How long should I leave it in the rice baggie? Might I hurt the IEMs or my other equipment if I use them before they're completely dry? Is there some other more effective way to dry them out? I used to have a bunch of silica gel packs, but I moved those into the extremely damp* basement for the m-i-l's visit, so I'm sure those are history, too. Sigh.

*Why is my basement extremely damp, you ask? Because it's been raining so hard that not only is the basement just generally leaking and seeping water through the century old walls, but my #%$^&*@$ toilet, tub, and bathroom sink all started vomiting up sewer water, which, of course, also leaked into the basement. Oh yeah, and the washing machine drain, as well. Uuuggghhh. It's been such a long week. At least we're only renting.
Okay. Whining is ending now.
I'm sure they are fine and they are definitely dry by now.

Those are my favorites and I've put them through the washer... Twice... Give them a try and if you have an issue DM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back