Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #2,881 of 3,037
Westone nozzle molds go in tight, don't think I will be able to fit Mandarin spacers in there. They spin only because they cover a barrel of the nozzle, but anyway. I'm happy with universal shells as is :wink:

Even I who has incredibly small ears found the UM pro 30 to be one of the most comfortable universal shells I had ever tried.
(Although I eventually went with ES30 custom version).

Ever since I have not once found a model that I deemed as comfortable. While I sometimes wish the sound was more neutral and detailed for listening to classical music, I've just not been able to find a tiny IEM that does that all that much better than my ES30 :)

I agree however that I don't see much added value in that solution with the adding bulk.
If it doesn't mold your concha, I don't see how it improves seal, sound or comfort personally but I may be wrong (can't knock it till you try it)

Edit: Didn't mean to quote you. Just curious about the added value too and leaving my feelings about the UM pro 30 shells (impressions from a guy who struggles with every over small sized IEM)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,882 of 3,037
For me it's not so much the concha area that is the issue as this bend in my right ear that stops it sealing properly.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,884 of 3,037
For me it's not so much the concha area that is the issue as this bend in my right ear that stops it sealing properly.

Yeah, I think customs will be a better solution for you.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,885 of 3,037
Yeah, I think customs will be a better solution for you.
:) You'd think that but until recently customs were a bit of a nightmare as well. Then I found out it was the way they were being taken and went to a different audiologist. I'd just occasionally like to try universals, but there really is no point. Plus if I went with Westone (and I really did like their sound, at least with the 3)I would have to go through variphone in europe which probably would work out quite expensive (at least compared to the universal models).

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #2,886 of 3,037
:) You'd think that but until recently customs were a bit of a nightmare as well. Then I found out it was the way they were being taken and went to a different audiologist. I'd just occasionally like to try universals, but there really is no point. Plus if I went with Westone (and I really did like their sound, at least with the 3)I would have to go through variphone in europe which probably would work out quite expensive (at least compared to the universal models).

Oh, you should see a few CIEMs I have, the nozzle is trimmed down so much that it looks almost like universal :D My left ear has a wide opening and a sharp bend, so CIEMs end up having a short nozzle (and the right one has to match the left one). Also, the reason why I use the largest size eartips with all universals due to my large ear opening.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #2,887 of 3,037

I got my Westone made by variphone and they were very helpful in my opinion. They got the fit perfect first time around.
They also offered me to go for two pin connectors as they personally found it to be more durable.
I'd say overall the experience was really good at variphone but I will agree they were quite expensive.

Figured I'd just share my experience with the variphone center.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,888 of 3,037
Also @twister6 , is it me or is there almost noone talking about Westone or sharing experiences about Westone products other than yourself?
Is it because everyone that bought one is just happy and doesn't visit head fi anymore or are Westone users a special kind compared to the campfire audience for example?

Just curious as to why there is almost no talk about Westone products compared to campfire audio or other brands products?

An other something I've noticed about my Westone ES30 (which I don't know if it's good or bad yet) is that I'm more often inclined to turn up the volume compared to some bright IEM's that I had in the past like the Andromeda or the etymotic er4sr.

On my sp1000m, I listen at 50/150 often for that added immersion it seems to provide. Maybe shouldn't do that as often anymore to preserve my hearing.

@twister6 Any experience with after market cables btw? Is it worth to get something over the epic cable for increased sound quality or is the difference not that noticeable. I for one find the epic cable to be very comfortable as it's small and the memory solution is the only one I tolerate. Otherwise I always cut the memory wire (example alo / Campfire audio cables memory wire just ****s up comfort in my opinion).

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,889 of 3,037
Also @twister6 , is it me or is there almost noone talking about Westone or sharing experiences about Westone products other than yourself?
Is it because everyone that bought one is just happy and doesn't visit head fi anymore or are Westone users a special kind compared to the campfire audience for example?

Just curious as to why there is almost no talk about Westone products compared to campfire audio or other brands products?

An other something I've noticed about my Westone ES30 (which I don't know if it's good or bad yet) is that I'm more often inclined to turn up the volume compared to some bright IEM's that I had in the past like the Andromeda or the etymotic er4sr.

On my sp1000m, I listen at 50/150 often for that added immersion it seems to provide. Maybe shouldn't do that as often anymore to preserve my hearing.

@twister6 Any experience with after market cables btw? Is it worth to get something over the epic cable for increased sound quality or is the difference not that noticeable. I for one find the epic cable to be very comfortable as it's small and the memory solution is the only one I tolerate. Otherwise I always cut the memory wire (example alo / Campfire audio cables memory wire just ****s up comfort in my opinion).

With ES30 and turning up the volume level, that's probably related to your hearing. Hmm, the spec of ES30 says 124dB, that's very sensitive, meaning you need less volume to reach the same level as with other IEMs, like for example UMPro50 which has 115dB. Probably a good idea not to push it high because that's how the hearing loss starts once you get used to it.

With cables, I have covered some before, but most of my aftermarket cables are 2pin. Tbh, with cables it's a diminishing return when you go into high end expensive wires, and with some cheap budget ones I run into an issue of iem connector housing being too big to fit westone shells. For example, I like iBasso hybrid cable, similar wires to alo ref8 at a cheaper price, but those connectors are the major PITA when it comes to Westone iems. Had to use pliers to separate them. One cable which consistently improves (refines) the sound of Westone iems is Linum BaX or SuperBax. The ergonomics, the small connectors, and just overall refinement hits the mark for me. Ref8 is great, though likewise I remove the memory wire (can't stand it), and with Ref8 there is microphonics, unfortunately. But Ref8 is another cable which has a great pair up with Westone iems. New Westone SPC cable (in W40 and W60 2nd gen) is great, though only offered in 3.5mm TRS single ended.

And the big question about lack of Westone discussions, I keep asking this myself all the time. It seems that a crowd of Westone fans is a little older and some don't feel as comfortable posting questions on-line, and rather prefer to ping me in PMs or FB messenger. At least, that's what I've noticed. Also, Westone, like other old school guys (Shure, Senns, Audio-Technica) don't release their IEMs as often, there is always a spike when a new product announced, and then it dies out. But overall, I see more people asking me questions off-line rather than on-line. And yeah, somehow by default since I get a chance to review most of Westone IEMs (just like I do with so many other iems, cables, and dap brands), I end up being sort of an expert lol!!! At least, I'm glad I can help.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,890 of 3,037

I think there's just less hype than Campfire, for example, and the sound is less divisive than, say, the HD 650 (yes, yes, I realize the HD 650 is a full-sized open-back, etc., etc.). I think Campfire generates hype by a) releasing something popular and then iterating on that— somebody once told me that the way Madonna maintained popularity for so long wasn't so much about her music, but by the media cycle she maintained, likewise rapid updates and model releases keeps a company in the public eye; b) having a very eye catching aesthetic, which— as loath as most audiophiles are to admit— plays a huge role in what we select; c) simply being a new company; give it five or ten years and likely some of the popular, hyped brands will have similar comments in their threads. I see similar comments semi-frequently: "whatever happened to Ray Samuels," "what's wrong with Musical Fidelity?" etc. It seems like Grado and Ultrasone are much less discussed than they were a decade or so ago. FiiO also boosts post counts in their threads by having raffles: "Make a comment to win a product!" so you have lots of people chiming in to simply say, "I want to win!"
Another way chatter builds is by having divisive or faulty products. The DragonFly Cobalt thread is about a month and a half old and is 30+ pages long; 10 pages at least are announcement / pre-order hype, and the rest is people going back and forth over whether or not its measurements matter and/or complaining about potentially broken units.
I don't think Westone does any of those things other than, perhaps, having a somewhat divisive sound... but, then, there are no head/earphone manufacturers that are unanimously adored.
Personally, I simply enjoy my Westones and go about my day. No muss, no fuss. No need for discussion.

...anyway...

I'm the same way with my UM Pro 50 in that I often turn them up a bit more than some of my other 'phones. I don't know if it's because of the tuning or the complexity of the crossover, but for whatever reason, the mids often don't quite sound right until they're at the louder end of my usual listening level. I think this is the one way that I think the UM Pro 50 could be improved.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,891 of 3,037
I got my Westone made by variphone and they were very helpful in my opinion. They got the fit perfect first time around.
They also offered me to go for two pin connectors as they personally found it to be more durable.
I'd say overall the experience was really good at variphone but I will agree they were quite expensive.

Figured I'd just share my experience with the variphone center.
Thanks. Just out of curiosity how much are the es30's? The variphone site is not exactly helpful!

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,892 of 3,037

I have seen different opinions as to whether your mouth should be open or closed when having molds taken for CIEM.
Any comments?

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,893 of 3,037
I have seen different opinions as to whether your mouth should be open or closed when having molds taken for CIEM.
Any comments?

Best advice is to a) follow the instructions on whichever manufacturers website you are thinking of (or at least email them and ask if they don't have them on the site itself) and b) find an audiologist who knows what they are doing. I could have saved a lot of time and trouble by going to the second one I found first :frowning2: :) Also you need to make sure they know the difference for molds between hearing aids and ciems. I sent the last one I went to the 64audio video on how to have them taken properly by email just to make sure they knew what I was on about. Most of the ones I'm familiar with will require open mouthed ones with a bite block, though a couple (Vision Ears, Campfire Audio and optionally ACS) do require them closed. Hope that helps.

Out of curiosity who are you thinking of going with?

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,894 of 3,037
Best advice is to a) follow the instructions on whichever manufacturers website you are thinking of (or at least email them and ask if they don't have them on the site itself) and b) find an audiologist who knows what they are doing. I could have saved a lot of time and trouble by going to the second one I found first :frowning2: :) Also you need to make sure they know the difference for molds between hearing aids and ciems. I sent the last one I went to the 64audio video on how to have them taken properly by email just to make sure they knew what I was on about. Most of the ones I'm familiar with will require open mouthed ones with a bite block, though a couple (Vision Ears, Campfire Audio and optionally ACS) do require them closed. Hope that helps.

Out of curiosity who are you thinking of going with?

Empire Ears

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,895 of 3,037
I'm the same way with my UM Pro 50 in that I often turn them up a bit more than some of my other 'phones. I don't know if it's because of the tuning or the complexity of the crossover, but for whatever reason, the mids often don't quite sound right until they're at the louder end of my usual listening level. I think this is the one way that I think the UM Pro 50 could be improved.

Wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that they are aimed at musicians more than audiophiles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back