Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,836 of 3,037
What portable DAC/amps are people using with their UM Pro 50 (or other Westones, I guess)? Or any that you specifically don't recommend? I think my DragonFly Red has one foot in the grave, unfortunately. I'll have it repaired if it makes financial sense (and if I can), otherwise I'm on the hunt again. Sigh. It seems the hunt is everlasting.

If you don't want to steer the conversation too far off course, feel free to PM.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #2,837 of 3,037
OK, so really dumb question here. I purchased a used set of Westones knowing that the right side was defective. Poked around a bit, made sure that it was not a cable issue by switching cables, trying left side on right, etc. Looking at it I am guessing they are U3s. How can you tell for sure? Is there a thread that I can look to find a resheller/modder that may be able to help me out? TIA.

PS- I did do some google research before asking which led me down to the U3 since the shell is entirely clear and not half clear/half black and it uses the older 2pin connector. I also saw that the user Vesperaudio does have a recable/reshell service. I was just trying to do some more information gathering. Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #2,838 of 3,037
OK, so really dumb question here. I purchased a used set of Westones knowing that the right side was defective. Poked around a bit, made sure that it was not a cable issue by switching cables, trying left side on right, etc. Looking at it I am guessing they are U3s. How can you tell for sure? Is there a thread that I can look to find a resheller/modder that may be able to help me out? TIA.

PS- I did do some google research before asking which led me down to the U3 since the shell is entirely clear and not half clear/half black and it uses the older 2pin connector. I also saw that the user Vesperaudio does have a recable/reshell service. I was just trying to do some more information gathering. Thanks!
Not a stupid question!
It might help if you post a picture of them. User @BKG22 is a Westone rep and might be able to help you out with IDing them, anyway.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but from the website it looks like VesperAudio mainly does re-cabling and some minor repairs to shells (broken nozzles), though I didn't look too closely. They only offer OEM repairs for a couple of brands. It sounds like what you'll need is more intensive than that. Maybe you should contact them directly.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,839 of 3,037
Not a stupid question!
It might help if you post a picture of them. User @BKG22 is a Westone rep and might be able to help you out with IDing them, anyway.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but from the website it looks like VesperAudio mainly does re-cabling and some minor repairs to shells (broken nozzles), though I didn't look too closely. They only offer OEM repairs for a couple of brands. It sounds like what you'll need is more intensive than that. Maybe you should contact them directly.

Yes, I believe @Vesperaudio can help, but keep in mind they are in Russia (or Ukraine?)

Also, if this is a very old Westone model, don't think they (Westone) keep spare parts beyond warranty period (+ a few years on top of it). So, getting spare parts will be hard... Too bad Inearz (in Florida) stopped doing reshelling of IEMs :frowning2:

May 1, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,842 of 3,037
We usually have full inventory to fix any issue with westones from early models up to at least w50
Good to know! Your website only specifies having original replacement parts for Audio-Technica and Sennheiser, which is why I said what I did.

May 1, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,843 of 3,037
Here are my Westones! Thank you guys all very much. Also, if you have any tips on what else to try besides cable swap, L/R switch, etc. I can certainly give it go. Oops, did not choose thumbnail or full file. See below. (Blast, didn't go as planned, duplicate image)

Attachments

• IMG_4858.JPG
    IMG_4858.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4860.JPG
    IMG_4860.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4861.JPG
    IMG_4861.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #2,846 of 3,037

Can you look closer around the nozzle? Any numbers you see? In many Westone IEMs it should be there and can be "decoded" to find out which model you have.

May 1, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #2,847 of 3,037
OK minor update here. I found that the sound in the right earpiece is intermittent. I was able to shake it a bit (I know, probably not the best idea), and I could get good sound to come out. Possibly a loose connection from the wire terminals to the driver???

Oh and if it makes a difference, the cable that came with it is the silver, thin, pliable one. When I look at pictures of the 3 or 3x that one "may" have come with a black one? Not sure.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,849 of 3,037
Congrats on your UM2. These were built between 2008 and 2011.

Sorry that I have been MIA. I have been fighting the flu and strep which effectively took me out of the game for the past week...

As for older models, we just moved our music office and while cleaning everything out we found a few boxes of old product that never even made it into packaging. We found W1-4r and UM1-3. I am having a team member sweep and listen to them to make sure they are good (which so far they are) and then we are figuring out what to do with them... This is pretty cool timing as it is our 60th anniversary so we might be able to have some history fun.

May 1, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,850 of 3,037
Congrats on your UM2. These were built between 2008 and 2011.

Sorry that I have been MIA. I have been fighting the flu and strep which effectively took me out of the game for the past week...

As for older models, we just moved our music office and while cleaning everything out we found a few boxes of old product that never even made it into packaging. We found W1-4r and UM1-3. I am having a team member sweep and listen to them to make sure they are good (which so far they are) and then we are figuring out what to do with them... This is pretty cool timing as it is our 60th anniversary so we might be able to have some history fun.

Stick em on the headfi for sale section with generous discounts? Go on you know you want to :) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back