Westone STAR(TM) silicon tips and TRUE-FIT(TM) foam tips available
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #92 of 106
Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Silicone tips? As compared to the silicone tips that come with the Shures, the Westone tips seems to give me better clarity and range except cover up the bass which the 215LTDs are capable of. When I put on the silicone tips that came with the Shures, bass is restored but soundstage shrinks and life of the treble suffers

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #93 of 106
  I just received a new 10 pack of Westone True-fit Red tips from an authorized dealer for Westone.  I used to love these tips, but this pack was no good.  I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this; it is the new version they tell me.

I have included a picture of the new tips compared to my old tips, both are red style.  I go through a ten pack in about two months usually, so I know from the types I usually get.  

The top row of tips are the brand new versions I just got from the place; in what appeared to be the original box from Westone. Seemed official enough, but look at the bore holes.  The are incredibly small and constantly close in my ears when I open my mouth or turn my head slightly effectively plugging the sound and it is driving me nuts.

I noticed this too with the "fit kit" that came with my new W60. I agree that it doesn't seem like an improvement on the previous shape. I'd suggest trying the Comply P-100, medium size. They are almost exactly the same dimensions as the True-Fit red tips, but the foam is much "squishier" and has a faster recovery time as well. Better all round.  

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #94 of 106
  Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Silicone tips? As compared to the silicone tips that come with the Shures, the Westone tips seems to give me better clarity and range except cover up the bass which the 215LTDs are capable of. When I put on the silicone tips that came with the Shures, bass is restored but soundstage shrinks and life of the treble suffers

I don't like the Star tips very much. They have a weird plasticky sound to my ears, and aren't very comfortable either. Maybe it's just me - my ear canals have a quite elliptical cross section. Folks with a more circular cross section may find them more comfortable. If you find the bass lacking, that might indicate that the tips are too small.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #95 of 106
I don't like the Star tips very much. They have a weird plasticky sound to my ears, and aren't very comfortable either. Maybe it's just me - my ear canals have a quite elliptical cross section. Folks with a more circular cross section may find them more comfortable. If you find the bass lacking, that might indicate that the tips are too small.
Thanks for the info! :D

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #97 of 106
Bought these from Amazon. I have Prime so they came in time for when I got home.
They're amazing. They put a whole new dimension in music.
I have Audiofly AF180s, which are the best quad armature IEM by far (I've tried most of the prosumer / audiophile quad iems, nothing beats them) and these put a whole new dimension on music.

THE BASS. It's so tight and high, compared to stock non brand tips where the bass was bloated and non controlled. I used the black tips which don't fully isolate but that allows for more air - more soundstage.

These are better than any foam tip I've tried, and I've tried them all. The sound isn't natural - it's realistic and that's what I wanted. I bought the tip kit and if anyone's looking to buy some tips from the kit (unused) chuck me a PM.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #102 of 106
As do we all but I think the point is to make everyone buy the SE846
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Now why would Westone want to do that for Shure? :p

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #103 of 106
Orignally Posted by Davidtech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So...............no one knows the diamiter size ?

Star tips is designed for 1~2mm bore tips, havi b3 bore is 5mm, wont fit mate. Even if you managed to force them on, it'll affect the sound quality

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #104 of 106
  Star tips is designed for 1~2mm bore tips, havi b3 bore is 5mm, wont fit mate. Even if you managed to force them on, it'll affect the sound quality

I've searched the internets high and low for this information.

Seems real simple to add this information to the product page. It would get rid of all those questions of will they or won't they fit my headphones.

Now this information does make me sad because I have the altones200 which have a 5mm tip. oh well, I guess my search for better tips must continue.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #105 of 106
  I've searched the internets high and low for this information.

Seems real simple to add this information to the product page. It would get rid of all those questions of will they or won't they fit my headphones.

Now this information does make me sad because I have the altones200 which have a 5mm tip. oh well, I guess my search for better tips must continue.

Popular tips for that size bore are usually spinfit or sony hybrids, if you don't get a good fit or enough isolation you should look in the direction of foam or triple flange tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back