Westone Phones and repair
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #61 of 68
I've been a Westone user for probably 12 years now I think? Their customer service has been nothing but awesome in my experience. This is through multiple sets of ES series monitors, and tons of UM series as well.

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #62 of 68
My expirience, UM2, one armature off, no repair possible to due discontinued product - scrapped.
Bought an UM30Pro, 2 warranty "repairs", loose armature issue, replaced with new ones, but than again become loose. It started last time when warranty was over.
So, now again a loose driver on one side, westone's response: Due to the expired warranty the best we can do is offer a discount on a replacement unit...
They are quick in response and friendly, but even if their ie's sound good, the "after warranty" handling is limited...

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #63 of 68
My expirience, UM2, one armature off, no repair possible to due discontinued product - scrapped.
Bought an UM30Pro, 2 warranty "repairs", loose armature issue, replaced with new ones, but than again become loose. It started last time when warranty was over.
So, now again a loose driver on one side, westone's response: Due to the expired warranty the best we can do is offer a discount on a replacement unit...
They are quick in response and friendly, but even if their ie's sound good, the "after warranty" handling is limited...

I had 2 westones die on me at the cable insertion area after 2 years of usage (Westone 3 and Westone W30). Same situation as u, warranty expired after calling them up.
The Westone W30 had detachable cable so no biggie to get an aftermarket cable. The Westone 3 however had non detachable cables and I had to do a MMCX mod with a third party customs/reshelling shop. It works fine after MMCX mod, but I swore not to buy non detachable IEMs ever again unless it is dirt cheap like the Sony MH755.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #64 of 68
I am a bit of a lurker on these forums...I usually come around when I am thinking about buying something new. However, I had an experience with Westone that I feel ought to be put out there. I didn't really see a lot of threads on this but I may be missing them.

I bought a pair of Westone 3's in July 2009. Just the other day, I noticed that the left phone was cutting in and out a bit. I am pretty careful with these...they live in the case when they're not in my ears...but I do use them more or less every day at work and occasionally for exercise. I don't think anything has happened to them that would warrant them cutting out after less than two years of use.

I emailed Westone customer support to see if they could repair the phones for me. They got back and asked for proof of purchase and my shipping information. I sent them my receipt and my info. They got back to me and told me that not only are the phones out of warranty, but they are not manufactured in the US and therefore cannot be repaired. They offered a replacement set of phones - new out of box - for $175.

Those are the facts and everyone can decide for themselves whether they want to do business with this company. I, personally, will never buy another one of their products again as long as I live. These were over $300 phones and lasted me less than 2 years, and they cannot even be repaired AT MY COST. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. They sound great, they're comfortable, but the quality and level of service that Westone offers is completely unacceptable. I think cutting out after less than 2 years is not really acceptable but...OK...they're out of warranty and I would be willing to pay to have them repaired. Replaced at $175 though? Not happening.

I guess I will be finding a new set of IEMs when I get the money. This was not an insignificant purchase for me. I guess I should have stuck with $15 Koss KSC75's.

endus - your experience mirrors mine. I started with a single driver Westone, when that crapped after a couple of years, I upgraded to a dual-driver. That too lasted about two years, but I liked the sound and when I could afford it I upgraded to their W3, which also broke. At this point you'd think I'd smarten up, but no. No replacement was possible instead they offered me an upgrade to the W40 for $150. To my regret I went for it and of course, after a couple of years the W40 has blown a BA on the left side. When I contacted them to get it repaired they said they didn't do repairs. I had what amounted to an abusive relationship with that company, so it's over. My question is, is there anyone out there that repairs Westone headphones in Canada or North America?

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #65 of 68
I had Westone 4 for a year then got a Westone 4r - the westone 4r lasted for about a year & then the 4's died a year later. This was a long time ago - always wanted to repair them on my own dime but guess that will not be happening.

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #66 of 68
I am a bit of a lurker on these forums...I usually come around when I am thinking about buying something new. However, I had an experience with Westone that I feel ought to be put out there. I didn't really see a lot of threads on this but I may be missing them.

I bought a pair of Westone 3's in July 2009. Just the other day, I noticed that the left phone was cutting in and out a bit. I am pretty careful with these...they live in the case when they're not in my ears...but I do use them more or less every day at work and occasionally for exercise. I don't think anything has happened to them that would warrant them cutting out after less than two years of use.

I emailed Westone customer support to see if they could repair the phones for me. They got back and asked for proof of purchase and my shipping information. I sent them my receipt and my info. They got back to me and told me that not only are the phones out of warranty, but they are not manufactured in the US and therefore cannot be repaired. They offered a replacement set of phones - new out of box - for $175.

Those are the facts and everyone can decide for themselves whether they want to do business with this company. I, personally, will never buy another one of their products again as long as I live. These were over $300 phones and lasted me less than 2 years, and they cannot even be repaired AT MY COST. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. They sound great, they're comfortable, but the quality and level of service that Westone offers is completely unacceptable. I think cutting out after less than 2 years is not really acceptable but...OK...they're out of warranty and I would be willing to pay to have them repaired. Replaced at $175 though? Not happening.

I guess I will be finding a new set of IEMs when I get the money. This was not an insignificant purchase for me. I guess I should have stuck with $15 Koss KSC75's.

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #67 of 68

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #68 of 68
Many people that I know have had the same bad experiences with Westone. I like the sound, however, for the cost of these things, service and repairs should be an option. They're not made in the U.S. now. I will buy Campfires from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back