Westone ES60 unboxing and first impressions
Oct 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #61 of 158
  If the master is same it is not possible for anyone to distinguish 24 bit from 16 bit audio, HDtracks and similar "hi res" sellers have their collection remastered so it sounds better regardless of bits and sampling rate. If you convert some song 24 bit to 16 bit it will sound the same no matter the gear.

If you can't hear the difference then there is no point in buying 24-bit music or 24-bit capable audio gear. Personally, I, can hear it very clearly on good recordings, i.e. 24-bit in comparison to 24-bit that has been dithered down to 16-bit in iZotope RX 4 Advanced, but HDTracks and similar retailers do not offer only good recordings because the sound quality of what these retailers are offering to customers almost exclusively depends on what the record companies are giving them.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #62 of 158
  If you can't hear the difference then there is no point in buying 24-bit music or 24-bit capable audio gear. Personally, I, can hear it very clearly on good recordings, i.e. 24-bit in comparison to 24-bit that has been dithered down to 16-bit in iZotope RX 4 Advanced, but HDTracks and similar retailers do not offer only good recordings because the sound quality of what these retailers are offering to customers almost exclusively depends on what the record companies are giving them.

Saw this coming from a mile away.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #63 of 158
Question - does anyone know if the custom faceplates make these any larger?  My 9 year-old designed some cool ones for me, but I don't want to add any more bulk to these.

Thanks,

David

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #64 of 158

It is not possible to hear the difference and that includes you my friend. :)
Even if there were sounds high enough, instruments that make that high you couldn't hear them even in theory, and when it comes to DNR (which is higher with 24 bit, it's 144 dB but you can't never isolate enough (you could in theory tho), not even with custom iems in soundproof room to distinguish it from 90 dB and even vinlys that are worse, tho vinyls sound different due to other reasons as well, and noise, which should be main marketing point of HD audio (tho they mention some garbage like more detailed sound, which is nonsense for anyone that have at least a bit knowledge about anything regarding sound) there is also literally not the slightest possibility that you or any other human being (and beyond) could hear the difference, because even with like 26+ db isolation environment simply won't let you hear that "jump" (like not in theory so no point in speaking how you or anyone else can hear it).
Till you yourself don't start your research it is pointless to explain value of that "high res" audio and what is it good for. People look at the some xy graph and see smoother "stairs" that look more similar to a real sound wave and they suddenly project more details in their brain, which is called placebo effect, similar to the custom cables with silver and their "extended" bass, which is also not possible even in theory, you can theoretically reduce noise from outside sources with good cables and depending on material some will transfer signal "better" but that is also sane choice only when cables are like 10-20 meters, on private concert setups, jazz clubs etc, tho again noise of environment wouldn't let you hear the noise of those cables.
24 bit audio gear - D/As are my friend very good choice for listening to 16 bit audio - so it's NOT pointless to buy it if you don't (and you can't) hear the difference between 24 bit and 16 bit. But I'll leave that research to you, why is better to have higher capable D/A even if you listen "only" to cd audio quality.
But then again, if you believe you hear 'very clearly' the difference who am I to tell you otherwise? Enjoy headphones hobby in your way and that is most important, if you like 24 bit why not  :)

I'm sorry to go off topic this much but I couldn't help myself. Will unsub and won't spam anymore here! Good day to everyone! 

And if anyone knows where to get these ES60 for < 1200 $ please say it :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #65 of 158
  It is not possible to hear the difference and that includes you my friend. :)
Even if there were sounds high enough, instruments that make that high you couldn't hear them even in theory, and when it comes to DNR (which is higher with 24 bit, it's 144 dB but you can't never isolate enough (you could in theory tho), not even with custom iems in soundproof room to distinguish it from 90 dB and even vinlys that are worse, tho vinyls sound different due to other reasons as well, and noise, which should be main marketing point of HD audio (tho they mention some garbage like more detailed sound, which is nonsense for anyone that have at least a bit knowledge about anything regarding sound) there is also literally not the slightest possibility that you or any other human being (and beyond) could hear the difference, because even with like 26+ db isolation environment simply won't let you hear that "jump" (like not in theory so no point in speaking how you or anyone else can hear it).
Till you yourself don't start your research it is pointless to explain value of that "high res" audio and what is it good for. People look at the some xy graph and see smoother "stairs" that look more similar to a real sound wave and they suddenly project more details in their brain, which is called placebo effect, similar to the custom cables with silver and their "extended" bass, which is also not possible even in theory, you can theoretically reduce noise from outside sources with good cables and depending on material some will transfer signal "better" but that is also sane choice only when cables are like 10-20 meters, on private concert setups, jazz clubs etc, tho again noise of environment wouldn't let you hear the noise of those cables.
24 bit audio gear - D/As are my friend very good choice for listening to 16 bit audio - so it's NOT pointless to buy it if you don't (and you can't) hear the difference between 24 bit and 16 bit. But I'll leave that research to you, why is better to have higher capable D/A even if you listen "only" to cd audio quality.
But then again, if you believe you hear 'very clearly' the difference who am I to tell you otherwise? Enjoy headphones hobby in your way and that is most important, if you like 24 bit why not  :)

I'm sorry to go off topic this much but I couldn't help myself. Will unsub and won't spam anymore here! Good day to everyone! 

And if anyone knows where to get these ES60 for < 1200 $ please say it :)

Duck and cover everyone!

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #66 of 158
Question - does anyone know if the custom faceplates make these any larger?  My 9 year-old designed some cool ones for me, but I don't want to add any more bulk to these.

Thanks,

David

No, it's the same across the industry for acrylic shell designs, the size doesn't change, only the faceplate goes from generic to 9-year-old-designed.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #67 of 158
Could you tell where did you get them from? (that was my first intention to ask, but then I saw 24 bit people with magical ears) It starts at 1500$ on Westone site... and you mentioned less than 1200 which is not small difference...
Nice review btw! I'm thinking of getting into customs world too but so many options... and so low amount of money :D

I got mine at a pro music store in Albuquerque, NM called Grandma's Music. They are a Westone dealer but they don't stock any. I got impressions made ($35) at a nearby audiologist who is also a Westone dealer. I took the impressions to the music store, they were ordered, and I had to return to the store to pick them up. Westone will not drop ship these directly. When I said shop around I meant check to see if there was a dealer near you that is not an audiologist as they are less likely to offer a discount (but they might!). The drawback to this method is if there is a fit issue. Westone will not deal directly with consumers of their custom monitors and the store you buy them from would have to return them for a re-fit. On the other hand Westone knows what they're doing and mine fit perfectly. If you can't find a good deal near you, try emailing Mikeg a t Grandmas.com and see if he'll work with you "long distance."

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #68 of 158
Mine are from AudioNova, one of Europe's leading hearing aid providers and official distributor of Variphone hearing protection.
(Variphone is an official distributor of Westone).

The price I paid for them was 1175 €. The first thing I noticed with them is the impeccable musical clarity (scream DYNAMICS!) and deeply extended, yet very powerful bass performance. Pairing them with my Astell & Kern AK240 has brought the best out from the music. It's bliss.

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #69 of 158
  Duck and cover everyone!

Los Angeles, AES 2014 (Day 2)
convention paper 9174 —"The Audibility of Typical Digital Audio Filters in a High-Fidelity Playback System".

This paper describes listening tests investigating the audibility of various filters applied in high-resolution wideband digital playback systems. Discrimination between filtered and unfiltered signals was compared directly in the same subjects using a double-blind psychophysical test. Filter responses tested were representative of anti-alias filters used in A/D (analog-to-digital) converters or mastering processes. Further tests probed the audibility of 16-bit quantization with or without a rectangular dither. Results suggest that listeners are sensitive to the small signal alterations introduced by these filters and quantization. Two main conclusions are offered: first, there exist audible signals that cannot be encoded transparently by a standard CD; and second, an audio chain used for such experiments must be capable of high-fidelity reproduction.

wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #70 of 158
I just got a pair of these - they are great.

Here is my one question - I got the Adventure cable to use with my Android phone but the mic doesn't seem to work too well with this phone (it works fine with other phones).

What are people's favorites when it comes to replacement cables, particularly ones that have a mic that play well with Android phones?

Thanks,

David

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 158
I'm debating between the ES60 and W60s. I wrote to Westone's customer service, and here is the response I got:

"First off, let me by saying that the W series is a line of monitors design for serious personal listening. By comparison the W60 has a more articulate and accurate bass response. The ES60 will work for your needs, but are more of an investment as they are fully custom units. The sound on the ES60 will also be more rounded and less neutral in comparison to the ultra flat, W60 series. The drivers in the ES60 are different than the drivers of the W60, resulting in the W60 being more flat, neutral, and balanced. It is hard to put a number on the differences between custom and universal fit earpieces. Custom fit provide a more comfortable fit and better seal, as well as have a better sound since the earpiece sits further in the ear canal, allowing for a smoother sound and better outside noise reduction. We do offer a 90 day fit warranty, so if the monitors are not perfect fitting at first, we can make adjustments to have them fit correctly."

I can't imagine anyone will chime in with a ES60 versus W60 first-hand comparison, but any further impressions of the ES60 would be greatly appreciated.

Some time has passed, may I ask if anyone can compare the es60 with the w60? Thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #72 of 158
I should be receiving my Westone es60 this week after owning the Westone W60 for approximately one month. I am in no way an audiophile, but will gladly share my experience with both headphones. Hopefully, it will be helpful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back