Westone ES5 vs JH13 vs JH16 vs UERM?
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kelthalas

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I recently lost my SM3 and I figured , hey, its fate asking me to upgrade my IEMs. I have owned the UM1 and SM3 and I found the SM3 extremely satisfying to my ears. Been lurking around this forums for quite some time and decided to go into customs. Researched for quite a while and shortlisted my choice to between ES5, JH13, JH16 and UERM, all of which enjoyed rave reviews in head-fi.

A brief listing on my sound preferences:

Clear high and mids
Detailed, impactful and sharp bass.
Wide and detailed soundstage

I mainly listen to house, R&B, soft rock and metal.

So... does anyone have any suggestion which of the customs aforementioned should I purchase to replace my SM3? TIA
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards
Chew
Singapore

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Hey there!

Personally I only own the ES5s as a Custom Monitor that fits my ears.
I also happen to own the JH16s and the UERM but in a demo unit form. Basically Universal IEM Form. 

First you need to figure out whether or not you want to have a IEM that is more "Musical" and "Fun" compared to "Analytical" and "Cold.

I would say that the Westone ES5 and the JH16Pros are more Musical and Fun when compared to the very analytical UERM. 
The JH13 is neutral in tone and pretty similar to the UERM.

Based on your specifications for the tonality;

Clear high and mids

Detailed, impactful and sharp bass.

Wide and detailed soundstage

I would like to say that neither of these IEMs will be capable of providing such demands.

For Clear Highs and Mids definitely the UERM will win hands down due to the fact that its really tuned as a reference monitor within a studio environment for sound engineers.

Detailed Impactful sharp bass will come from the JH16Pros. The bass from the Jh16Pro is absolutely excellent in Impact and detail however it doesn't have that warm feeling of a enveloping bass sound.

The Soundstage will really be from the UERM, JH13 and the ES5s.

Firstly I would say that if you are considering the JH16Pro I would strongly recommend you to buy it as the Jh16Pro + JH3A package, it sounds A LOT better.

The ES5s and the JH13s are more rounded and versatile. They can both cross the line from a Musical IEM to a more Analytical IEM.

The ES5 has warmer bass than the Jh16pros but less impact. The ES5s mids are better than the UERM however the detail isn't as good as the UERM.

Simply put if it was within a scale

Coldness/Analytical IEM - UERM -------  JH13Pro -- Westone ES5 (With Tweaks) - Neutral --- Westone ES5 --- JH13Pro (With tweaks) --- JH16Pro - Musical and Warm

Hope that helps :)

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Ive heard demos from all except the UERM and in my opinion, the JH-13 is the best for my taste. 

In general terms, I think the JH-13 is best for an analytical monitor. The JH-16 comes in second for being my favorite musical monitor with the added and fuller bass. 

It all comes down to how much bass you like when choosing between these two

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 10
The ES5(little warm), JH13Pro(neutral), UM Miracle(wide soundstage, deep bass) are detailed in mids n highs with wide soundstage and impactful punchy bass.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Aug 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Some options that are somewhat similar to the SM3 in frequency response:
- EM3 Pro is an upgrade but the frequency response through the mids is different.  The EM3 Pro has more bass capability and more brightness but has a dip in the upper mids in comparison with the SM3.  The presentation is very close, but larger.
- SA-43 to an extent with both switches in the on position and the presentation is a little thinner but not lacking at all and much more spacious.
- SE 5-way takes the SM3 and kicks it up several notches in overall performance.  I thought the SM3 was very good when I had them with only other universals, but now the SM3 sounds poor in comparison with my custom IEMs and the 5-way is similar but far superior to my ears.

Others I don't own:
- Miracle: from what I have been told, they are similar to the SM3 with a liquid and 3D presentation.
- ES5: I have had it described as similar but better with improved clarity, and, well, everything else.

I am sure any of the above would be very pleasing.  I do know that the above three all have a great 3D spaciousness to them and the spatial queues make for a very engaging experience, however I do prefer the better detail, larger soundstage size, and improved clarity of the latter two over the first.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Some options that are somewhat similar to the SM3 in frequency response:
- EM3 Pro is an upgrade but the frequency response through the mids is different.  The EM3 Pro has more bass capability and more brightness but has a dip in the upper mids in comparison with the SM3.  The presentation is very close, but larger.
- SA-43 to an extent with both switches in the on position and the presentation is a little thinner but not lacking at all and much more spacious.
- SE 5-way takes the SM3 and kicks it up several notches in overall performance.  I thought the SM3 was very good when I had them with only other universals, but now the SM3 sounds poor in comparison with my custom IEMs and the 5-way is similar but far superior to my ears.

Others I don't own:
- Miracle: from what I have been told, they are similar to the SM3 with a liquid and 3D presentation.
- ES5: I have had it described as similar but better with improved clarity, and, well, everything else.

I am sure any of the above would be very pleasing.  I do know that the above three all have a great 3D spaciousness to them and the spatial queues make for a very engaging experience, however I do prefer the better detail, larger soundstage size, and improved clarity of the latter two over the first.

Thanks once again, joe. No matter how I cut it, the SE 5-way keeps coming up as a leading option for me but its accessibility and availability is what's turning me off.

Even tho i'm a big fan of the SM3, I dont know if I want to the EM3 pro way tho. the Miracle sounds interesting and so does the ES5. But the Se keep popping up and seems to tell me this is the way to go. But then i've also got this bias in my head that makes me want to go the JHA way, be it 13 or 16 I cant decide. Argh!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 10
An educated guess, but a guess none the less is the ES5 has a fairly close sound signature to the SE 5-way.  I am in process of writing my JH16 review.  I also put the SE 5-way review on hold while waiting for a refit but due to the long delay I am just going to write it, so that is in process as well.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
An educated guess, but a guess none the less is the ES5 has a fairly close sound signature to the SE 5-way.  I am in process of writing my JH16 review.  I also put the SE 5-way review on hold while waiting for a refit but due to the long delay I am just going to write it, so that is in process as well.

Awesome, will look forward to those reviews on your Custom IEM thread. And the UERM too.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back