Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Sep 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #1,666 of 1,871
I'm thinking of going with the ES3X. It seems like they're similar in sound to the W5000s. There's an authorized Westone place nearby, so I'm going to call tomorrow and find out how much they cost and how they handle it. If the price isn't bad then I'll probably go ahead with them. I'm hoping that they have the qualities that I love about the W5000 (based on HeadphoneAddicts review they do, maybe even better in those aspects).

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #1,667 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of going with the ES3X. It seems like they're similar in sound to the W5000s. There's an authorized Westone place nearby, so I'm going to call tomorrow and find out how much they cost and how they handle it. If the price isn't bad then I'll probably go ahead with them. I'm hoping that they have the qualities that I love about the W5000 (based on HeadphoneAddicts review they do, maybe even better in those aspects).

I like the ES3X more than the W5000, but I also like the HD800 more than the W5000 and think the ES3X are closer to the HD800. The W5000 were very detailed and spacious for a closed phone, but I thought they had an upper mids coloration like the CD3000 and don't have as much bass as the ES3X or HD800. My W11R that I sold had a similar sound. Nevertheless, for any W5000 lover I think the ES3X are a great choice for an IEM.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #1,668 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new ES3X! They look nice! Hope to hear how you think they sound. Given 'em your best amps and they'll pay you back with music!

Thanks! The design is my own, and I have to say, it does look quite snazzy
biggrin.gif

I unfortunately had to send the left earpiece back for a bit of a tweak (it wasn't isolating as well as the right side), so I can't write up my thoughts on them; I need to have them in my ears as I write for me to do it properly.

Anyway, first impression is that they sound amazing - especially the midrange. Very refined and detailed. From what I remember - I haven't had them in my ears for about a week, how sad!

My next purchase in the hifi world will be a pico or something similar so I can really get the most out of them. I haven't had good enough reason to buy a portable amp until recently.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #1,669 of 1,871
Almost missed the Fedex lady this morning, as I was doing laundry and wasn't expecting anything to be delivered. Imagine my surprise when the small but rather heavy box on it says it's from Westone. Hmm.. What could this be
smily_headphones1.gif

For full disclosure purposes, I was the lucky winner of the door prize (a pair of Westone 3 Customs) when Westone were kind enough to hold the (first?) Colorado Head-Fi meet back in May '07. Due to a variety of circumstances, it's taken a while for it all to come to this day, but finally, they're here !

Yes, upon opening i was delighted to find my new ES3X, in Merlot.

I'm wearing them now, getting used to the feeling of customs = these are my first pair, so I't going to take a little time to get used to them.

But how do they sound? In a word, Wonderful! Definitely worth the wait, the detail is incredible, they blow the W3 out of the water, and the W3 are excellent in their own right.

Here's a pic of the new Merlot colour, it's actually a couple of shades darker than the image suggests, but the flash lightened it a little.

DSC00850.jpg

Thank you Powderhound and everyone at Westone. You guys rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,670 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the ES3X more than the W5000, but I also like the HD800 more than the W5000 and think the ES3X are closer to the HD800. The W5000 were very detailed and spacious for a closed phone, but I thought they had an upper mids coloration like the CD3000 and don't have as much bass as the ES3X or HD800. My W11R that I sold had a similar sound. Nevertheless, for any W5000 lover I think the ES3X are a great choice for an IEM.

Yeah, based on your review, it sounds like a less colored W5000, and should be as good or better in the things I really enjoy with the W5000 (speed, imaging, presentation). I don't seem to have issues with sound/head stage so that shouldn't be an issue.

I finally heard back from the local place today. Unfortunately they said they pretty much don't use Westone anymore, so the seamless experience I was hoping for isn't going to happen. However, they said they'd do the ear impressions for $20 and the person who got back to me uses Livewires themself and they talked about how important it is to get good impressions. So now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Should I even be having second thoughts now, as its not like much has really changed?

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,671 of 1,871
Quote:

Yeah, based on your review, it sounds like a less colored W5000, and should be as good or better in the things I really enjoy with the W5000 (speed, imaging, presentation). I don't seem to have issues with sound/head stage so that shouldn't be an issue.

I finally heard back from the local place today. Unfortunately they said they pretty much don't use Westone anymore, so the seamless experience I was hoping for isn't going to happen. However, they said they'd do the ear impressions for $20 and the person who got back to me uses Livewires themself and they talked about how important it is to get good impressions. So now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Should I even be having second thoughts now, as its not like much has really changed?

If suppose if you like the W5000 then the ES3X would be like a less colored version like you said, or they could sound like an HD800.
tongue.gif

The Livewires sound a little like a high-end Grado, and are a bargain for the price. But, from everything I'm reading on the forums lately the CS is going downhill, so you should stick with the ES3X if you can afford them.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #1,672 of 1,871
Just got my Westone ES3Xs. Had a fun time getting used to putting them on (it's a bit like putting on a tight shoe, sans the shoehorn.)

UNFORTUNATELY, that's about all I can say because something is definitely wrong with my left bud: only highs and some mids are coming in. It's about half the volume of the right bud, so the music leans to the right a lot and in more bass-heavy music, it sounds like I'm underwater.

Having the tech look at it on Monday.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #1,673 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Westone ES3Xs. Had a fun time getting used to putting them on (it's a bit like putting on a tight shoe, sans the shoehorn.)

UNFORTUNATELY, that's about all I can say because something is definitely wrong with my left bud: only highs and some mids are coming in. It's about half the volume of the right bud, so the music leans to the right a lot and in more bass-heavy music, it sounds like I'm underwater.

Having the tech look at it on Monday.

Swap the cable left to right and right to left, if the problem occurs on the other side now then it's the cable. Also make sure the connector is plugged in all the way for the monitor. If this doesn't solve the problem, then you definitely need them checked.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #1,674 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swap the cable left to right and right to left, if the problem occurs on the other side now then it's the cable. Also make sure the connector is plugged in all the way for the monitor. If this doesn't solve the problem, then you definitely need them checked.

Yeah, it's definitely not the cable.

I've been using Radiohead's "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" as a reference. Starts off great with the tapping drums and plucking guitar strings almost even across both, but as soon as the bass guitar drops, I lose a lot of volume out of my left ear. I can barely hear Thom at all in my left bud, either.

So, yeah, he's gonna take a look at it.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #1,675 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's definitely not the cable.

I've been using Radiohead's "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" as a reference. Starts off great with the tapping drums and plucking guitar strings almost even across both, but as soon as the bass guitar drops, I lose a lot of volume out of my left ear. I can barely hear Thom at all in my left bud, either.

So, yeah, he's gonna take a look at it.

unfortunate to hear that. However, good that you can get it looked at. Wish you the best of luck =)

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #1,676 of 1,871
My iBasso D10 with some new opamps that I just received is really fantastic with the ES3X - I'm using the new HiFlight built TLE2141 Class-A biased opamps on a 2:1 adapter, with EL8201 opamps as buffers. The music is very alive and rich, spacious and transparent, and female vocals are to die for while bass is not boosted or reduced. Just wanted to toss that out for those with this amp and IEM.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,677 of 1,871
Quote:

My iBasso D10 with some new opamps that I just received is really fantastic with the ES3X - I'm using the new HiFlight built TLE2141 Class-A biased opamps on a 2:1 adapter, with EL8201 opamps as buffers. The music is very alive and rich, spacious and transparent, and female vocals are to die for while bass is not boosted or reduced. Just wanted to toss that out for those with this amp and IEM.

The D10 is the amp that i've been considering most closely. Any other places to get one other than the manufacturer?

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #1,678 of 1,871
Quote:

If suppose if you like the W5000 then the ES3X would be like a less colored version like you said, or they could sound like an HD800.
tongue.gif

The Livewires sound a little like a high-end Grado, and are a bargain for the price. But, from everything I'm reading on the forums lately the CS is going downhill, so you should stick with the ES3X if you can afford them.

Hmm, not sure if it sounding like HD-800 is a good thing (I actually like the W5000 coloration). I doubt it'd be an issue as I enjoyed PFEs with a 2nd Gen Touch which should be a pretty uncolored/neutral combo.

Its more between the ES3X and JH-13. I'm wanting W5000 level performance in a portable (replace my W5000 and PFEs), and these seem like they'd for sure offer it.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #1,679 of 1,871
Quote:

Hmm, not sure if it sounding like HD-800 is a good thing (I actually like the W5000 coloration). I doubt it'd be an issue as I enjoyed PFEs with a 2nd Gen Touch which should be a pretty uncolored/neutral combo.

Its more between the ES3X and JH-13. I'm wanting W5000 level performance in a portable (replace my W5000 and PFEs), and these seem like they'd for sure offer it.

Well, to my ears both the ES3X and the JH13Pro out-perform the W5000 easily.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #1,680 of 1,871
Quote:

Well, to my ears both the ES3X and the JH13Pro out-perform the W5000 easily.

Yeah, its funny that having more options can almost seem like a negative. If it was just one, it'd be easy.
tongue_smile.gif

I'm leaning more toward the JH-13 as they seem to be more all arounders with all of the strengths of the ES3X and some of its own. I'm going to read your review more. Is the imaging of the JH-13 up to par with the ES3X? How would you describe the W5000s placement (in the "onstage/front row/middle/back row" metaphor)? Or rather, which one of the two is closer to the W5000s placement? I think that is probably what is the more important to me. I remember not liking the "first row" sound early on, but midrange push seems to be really iffy, I really like it sometimes (the portable Stax, PFEs with grey filters, W5000), but don't like it other times (Ultrasone 2200, others that I forget).

I really don't mean to take anything away from the ES3X (and I know this is the apprecation thread for it), I'm sure they're every bit worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back