Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Sep 23, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #1,681 of 1,871
Just got my left bud fixed! Turns out that there was a wire that was just barely 'hanging on', so it wasn't producing the sound I needed. The tech was surprised I could hear the flaw.

IMPRESSIONS!

Personally, until a few days ago, the best pair of earbuds I'd owned were SE110s that I had gotten for free during a vendor show a year ago. Before that, I was using Sony Street-style wrap-around-the-back headphones that went for $15. So, in short, I didn't really know much about good headphones.

When I got the Shures though, it was an amazing experience. I really loved the sound insulating memory foam and overall sound was very crisp and defined compared to my old Zune earbuds (that had fallen apart just weeks prior). From here on, I knew I had to pursue better and better IEMs, like some sort of fiend.

Getting these was an aural experience. I use a Zune 30 and with level at 7 (max 20), I get a completely fantastic experience. The soundstage is seamless here, whereas on other buds and IEMs I had (including the Skullcandy Ink'd I had used just before my ES3Xs got fixed) had a hole right in the middle of the stage that was really fuzzy. Here, the phones are so powerful (fitting perfectly in my ears) that there's no hole there and with the heat-sensitive tips (and obvious physical size) creating a seal, the music doesn't even sound like it's coming from two devices in the side of my head, it sounds like it's being rendered in my brain.

My MO for having nice IEMs is that I walk an hour and a half to/from work each day and these provide me with an excellent musical experience to listen to my music. There was once during the first Exogenesis Symphony track from the new Muse album, "The Resistance" that I felt as though I were in a lucid dream, as though I was in one place but my eyes were beaming back from another. It was insane.

I've only put limited time into these so far, but they were well worth the price. It will be interesting to get acquainted with all of my music again, revealing layers of song and production tricks that were previously invisible to me.

<3

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #1,683 of 1,871
Any chance of Westone to produce a balance cable for the ES3X?

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #1,684 of 1,871
Has anyone gotten a pair of ES3X in Vancouver, Canada?
I'm considering a pair but have no idea where to get them. I can order/get ear impression from any of the dispensers listed on the Westone website?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #1,685 of 1,871
Picture of the old-new [2nd] set.

I guess that the picture of the previous pair is much better.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,686 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone gotten a pair of ES3X in Vancouver, Canada?
I'm considering a pair but have no idea where to get them. I can order/get ear impression from any of the dispensers listed on the Westone website?

Order from EarphoneSolutions, probably the easiest.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #1,687 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance of Westone to produce a balance cable for the ES3X?

I built one a few years back (Headphone Addict & Blutarsky) played with it at CanJam. Nothing in the plans right now. I'll have it with me at RMAF as well this weekend.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,688 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built one a few years back (Headphone Addict & Blutarsky) played with it at CanJam. Nothing in the plans right now. I'll have it with me at RMAF as well this weekend.

I wish we could try that on my ZDT this weekend at RMAF, but I don't have an adapter to plug your dual 3-pin into my 4-pin XLR. Oh well...

You know that Bluto and I would love a 4-pin balanced cable someday, if we can find somebody to make one at a decent price. If I recall, you had your cable built as a lark at the 2007 Colorado meet?

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #1,689 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't come for living aboard. Hence want to know if one can buy this cable.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,690 of 1,871
Hey guys. How much difference is there between the ES3X and the UM3X for those who have both? I'm particularly interested in the soundstage and separation.

It is true that they share the same drivers right?

Thanks,
Andrew

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,691 of 1,871
Whew... after 3 days i've finally finished reading this entire thread!

Thanks everyone for all the detailed impressions of the ES3X, and I've made up my mind to step into the Customs world. My first custom! I wonder how much improvement the ES3x is over my currently beloved CK100s, very eager to find out!

I hope the problems mentioned in the thread (channel imbalance/gap between the cable and the monitor) are fixed now! Now i just need a good impression from my local audiologist...

Oh yea, and i've decided to order them in Translucent black, i don't want them to be too flashy
tongue_smile.gif

hope to join you guys soon!!

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #1,692 of 1,871
Oh I also think to move to Es3X like kwang411. Now I am use Ck100 too. I will waiting for first impression and compare between Ck100 and Es3X. I also has some question I hear someone told me ES3x it's same diver with UM3X it's real or not

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #1,693 of 1,871
I've been all over in my quest for IEM head-fi. I started looking at the UM3X and before I made a buy, I jumped over to the custom IEM theater. Wow. I think the ES3X or JH13 Pros are callin my name. After reading through many threads here on head-fi and many reviews / comparisons that were extremely well put together, customs are the way to go for me. It seems the ES3X may produce the sound I want and are considerably cheaper than the JH13 Pro. I figure I could futz around and buy lots of good IEMs that are not quite the ones I want, or I can suck it up and take the plunge. I learned a lesson with motorcycle helmets and jackets some years ago. Short story - I ended up with the ones I originally wanted anyway - after blowin tons of $$ on crap that did not cost as much initially. Although the initial cost will hurt oh soo good, I bet I'll spend it in the end anyway. I spoke to a gentleman at Westone named Kyle and he was a great source of info. Enthusiastic about the product and very able to answer my questions about the order process / after the purchase process. Now if only I could decide on one (can't listen first)!

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #1,694 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asahi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I also think to move to Es3X like kwang411. Now I am use Ck100 too. I will waiting for first impression and compare between Ck100 and Es3X. I also has some question I hear someone told me ES3x it's same diver with UM3X it's real or not

They should have a slightly different sound signature, but the ES3X is no doubt a performer. Yes the ES3X uses the same drivers as the UM3X and the W3

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #1,695 of 1,871
kwang411, don't you think of getting the JH|13 instead of ES3X? They seems to be even more attractive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back