Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Aug 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #1,651 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is a total refund possible?

in any case that doesnt solve my problem, I need a good and comfortable customs and I know westone can definitely provide that. I would still prefer to solve it by getting it properly repaired.

Before I had my 3rd re-fit (4th set), at one point during the process Westone suggested I should get a full refund from the place I purchased my ES3X's from.

However, I insisted --and had to prove-- there really was something wrong with the 3rd set (2nd re-fit), said I really wanted to have the great sounding ES3X and I even sent some photos as further proof there really was something wrong with that particular set, ie I wasn't just being fussy. After that they apologised and I got a perfect 4th and final set.

Like you I didn't want a refund. However, I think in your case you've had 4 re-fits (5 sets) already, and we're now talking about a possible 5th re-fit!

If I was in your current position, I'd consider getting a refund and getting the JH10X3 ($799) or -- though in my case I wouldn't -- the almighty JH13 for $1,100. That, of course, won't guarantee any possible future re-fit issues, but it's just a thought as you either seem to be far too unlucky with Westone or you seriously need to find out whether the problem at this point comes from your end.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #1,652 of 1,871
Quote:

got my ES3x back from westone....

Filter on the right side changed..

bad news..the right is still not as lively as the left..i am so tired trying to get things right..pun not intended..

any suggestions guys?

klatzz, sorry that you're experiencing so many problems! Have any of the sets sounded Ok? Other than fit? Interestingly, my original set came sans filters. The new redos came with filters, both low and high. Did anyone else notice if their first sets came with or without filters?

Also, can you post pictures of the right and left IEMs? Not sure we can discern anything. Re the filters, they certainly make a difference, but I believe that Westone tests each IEM for balance and response? It would be interesting to know what Westone changed re the filter.

I'd figure out what was going on before investing anywhere else, since you might just be transferring frustrations... Again, so sorry to hear that you're having so many issues.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,653 of 1,871
Quote:

got my ES3x back from westone....

Filter on the right side changed..

bad news..the right is still not as lively as the left..i am so tired trying to get things right..pun not intended..

any suggestions guys?

Any chance you have a kinked sound tube? I know of one other person where this was missed on theirs a couple of times.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #1,654 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance you have a kinked sound tube? I know of one other person where this was missed on theirs a couple of times.

wat is a kinked sound tube?

in any case Kyle has replied and they are goin to make a new right side for me..

I had a good set(Fit and Sounds perfect), the very first time it arrive, these problems occurs after I send them in for the initial repair due to the ringing sound on the right when I tap the customs.it has been like this since day one, it din affect the sound, hence didn't want to do anything about it.subsequently decided to get it fixed, afraid that it might become a problem in the near future.

I guess making a new set will be the best solution for now.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #1,655 of 1,871
I am really sorry you are experiencing such trouble.
I am surprised. I wonder if Powderhound has any comments regarding the perceived ongoing quality problems.
I had some issues, but finally they have been solved. The fit feels perfect although the right sticks out a little more than the left.
I am in Phoenix this week for business meetings at a fancy resort. I brought my ES3X with me (can leave home without them!) and I am continuing my epic listening of all Bach's Cantatas. BWV 130 never sounded so beautiful. The bass feels deep and resonated in my ears. I am amazed at the lack of fatigue, no ear soreness, no listener's fatigue or sibilance. I am extremely satisfied with the sound and now the very comfortable fit.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #1,656 of 1,871
Sad to hear that some people are having constant problems with the ES3X, i got mine and it was perfectly fine in fit and comfort...

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #1,657 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really sorry you are experiencing such trouble.
I am surprised. I wonder if Powderhound has any comments regarding the perceived ongoing quality problems.
I had some issues, but finally they have been solved. The fit feels perfect although the right sticks out a little more than the left.
I am in Phoenix this week for business meetings at a fancy resort. I brought my ES3X with me (can leave home without them!) and I am continuing my epic listening of all Bach's Cantatas. BWV 130 never sounded so beautiful. The bass feels deep and resonated in my ears. I am amazed at the lack of fatigue, no ear soreness, no listener's fatigue or sibilance. I am extremely satisfied with the sound and now the very comfortable fit.

x 2 on the text in bold.

Anyone found themselves going to bed (much) later than planned after finding it difficult to stop listening to their ES3X's?

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #1,658 of 1,871
Quote:

wat is a kinked sound tube?

in any case Kyle has replied and they are goin to make a new right side for me..

I had a good set(Fit and Sounds perfect), the very first time it arrive, these problems occurs after I send them in for the initial repair due to the ringing sound on the right when I tap the customs.it has been like this since day one, it din affect the sound, hence didn't want to do anything about it.subsequently decided to get it fixed, afraid that it might become a problem in the near future.

I guess making a new set will be the best solution for now.

Klatzz PM me your "real name" so I can see what's up. I don't always hear about multiple refits, etc.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #1,660 of 1,871
Finally got them...

Serial 0399 for those that care...

Clear shell with my own artwork on the faceplate. They fit well so far... I'm having a slight isolation issue with the left earpiece, but it's not affecting quality of sound or anything. I'll give it a couple days before I decide if it's worth it to get a refit or not. Probably not though, I think its just a "getting used to" issue.

I'll write more later on impressions etc... But for now, Pics!
And if anyone can tell me how to upload larger pictures, let me know. This forum wouldn't let me do anything larger than 320x240

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #1,662 of 1,871
I just posted my review of the DNA Sonett with anecdotal impressions with the HeadAmp Pico here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ac-amp-444471/

The Sonett takes the ES3X beyond what is possible with the Pico DAC/Amp. So, it's another view of how the ES3X scales with reference amplification.

It was a fun exercise and I felt duly rewarded with more musical enjoyment from the ES3X than I had hoped for.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #1,663 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just posted my review of the DNA Sonett with anecdotal impressions with the HeadAmp Pico here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ac-amp-444471/

The Sonett takes the ES3X beyond what is possible with the Pico DAC/Amp. So, it's another view of how the ES3X scales with reference amplification.

It was a fun exercise and I felt dully rewarded with more musical enjoyment from the ES3X than I had hoped for.

Yeah - despite being a portable IEM, my Apogee mini-DAC > WA6 desktop rig is the one I use most with the ES3X and others. Other times it's the Pico DAC-only > ALO Amphora or P-51 Mustang if I can't be plugged in, but it's not the same.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #1,664 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah - despite being a portable IEM, my Apogee mini-DAC > WA6 desktop rig is the one I use most with the ES3X and others. Other times it's the Pico DAC-only > ALO Amphora or P-51 Mustang if I can't be plugged in, but it's not the same.

Yep, I've been using my ES3X more like a reference headset. While our audio memory might be short, the experience with improved amplification is what we recall the most, and that's where the bar gets set for our next listening session.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #1,665 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got them...

Serial 0399 for those that care...

Clear shell with my own artwork on the faceplate. They fit well so far... I'm having a slight isolation issue with the left earpiece, but it's not affecting quality of sound or anything. I'll give it a couple days before I decide if it's worth it to get a refit or not. Probably not though, I think its just a "getting used to" issue.

I'll write more later on impressions etc... But for now, Pics!
And if anyone can tell me how to upload larger pictures, let me know. This forum wouldn't let me do anything larger than 320x240

Congrats on your new ES3X! They look nice! Hope to hear how you think they sound. Given 'em your best amps and they'll pay you back with music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back