Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #1,232 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did the cable swap from left to right. The right side still sound the same, muffled and separation is horrible.

sigh

I'm sorry to hear that (and happy to not hear it, if you get what I mean). My ES3X are pretty much on the level of my HD800, and I love them.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #1,233 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people get smoked, but I don't?. My audiologist goes to order them and Kyle tells him that I cannot get smoked, yet when I called and e-mailed they said I could get it. Not very cool IMO. So I deal with it and get something else, very disappointing, but I needed to get the order in. Now I have them and my left ear doesn't fit well. I just got them today, but when I put it in my left ear then it hurts. They sound great, but so far I'm not really THAT impressed with westone.

Lemme check into that...unless something happened in the lab, you should've been able to get that color. Also, if you are having pain, that means the fit is not perfect. You may have a slight discomfort when first using a custom IEM, but never a pain.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #1,234 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It still doesn't explain why the "wall" which seperates between the two drivers' channels is collapsed. It seems like it was there but it smelt :\

See? No separation, only at the very beginning. [from inside]

So you are talking about there actually being a "separation" from driver to end, again.. your ear is different. They are drilled using the same diameter bit. If there is room they are separated the entire way, if there is not, they don't. It has not effect on the final sound. I've had sets built both way.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,235 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are talking about there actually being a "separation" from driver to end, again.. your ear is different. They are drilled using the same diameter bit. If there is room they are separated the entire way, if there is not, they don't. It has not effect on the final sound. I've had sets built both way.

The lack of separation from driver to end doesn't affect the sound? It seems to contradict something you said earlier:

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah. There is anytime you go from a universal to a custom. Main reason is the opening of the sound tube. On universals (we'll use the UM3X) you have multiple drivers using the same sound tube, which is also a little smaller in diameter to accommodate more ear sizes. When you go to ta custom, each driver or driver package has it's own sound tube inside the canal portion of the mold. These sound tubes are also larger in diameter, then at the end of the canal the sound tube is "flared out" so that the frequencies mix right before they get to the ear drum, allowing better clarity and dynamics.

Could you clear the confusion, please?

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #1,236 of 1,871
I'm sure powderhound will comment, but from what I gathered and from what I can see from the pics, the sound tubes are still separated for a significant length of the canal portion of the earphone. It's towards the end, where the individual's ear canal is most narrow, that the tubes are combined.

I can understand why someone with smaller ear canals would question whether they would get the same level of sound quality as someone who has the separation all the way to the end of the canal-piece. If you consider that the independent sound tubes are combined in the ear canal itself, the issue may not be significant.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #1,237 of 1,871
Quote:

The seal and fit is perfect. Checked also with Sensaphonic's audio files when got the monitors.

But maybe it is due to my ears' hearing imbalance.

Also check with pure tones, something like the Sheffield Labs Test Disk, or the XLO Test Disk. I think both have 1KHz for balance as well as white noise. Should sound pretty balanced. I think the 1KHz tone is monaural so it should sound like it's centered at the top of your head.

And here's a site with a hearing test: Digital Recordings - Advanced Research and Development in Acoustics, the link on the right side of the page called, WWW Hearing Test. It's pretty interesting and allows you to graph the response of each of your ears.

Hope it helps isolate the issue.

EDIT: And make sure the canals are clear of any obstructions.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #1,238 of 1,871
roy jones - The seperation is for less than half the way. The rest crashed.

Rdr. Seraphim - Thank you for the advice, but as I already said, there is no imbalance, just my paranoia.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #1,239 of 1,871
Thanks for the webbie, i will do this final check before i decide to send them in. I cleared my ear canal before i did the audition.

It is sad, because i know how good they can sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also check with pure tones, something like the Sheffield Labs Test Disk, or the XLO Test Disk. I think both have 1KHz for balance as well as white noise. Should sound pretty balanced. I think the 1KHz tone is monaural so it should sound like it's centered at the top of your head.

And here's a site with a hearing test: Digital Recordings - Advanced Research and Development in Acoustics, the link on the right side of the page called, WWW Hearing Test. It's pretty interesting and allows you to graph the response of each of your ears.

Hope it helps isolate the issue.

EDIT: And make sure the canals are clear of any obstructions.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #1,241 of 1,871
What can you hear? and what you can't hear?

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #1,242 of 1,871
Quote:

What can you hear? and what you can't hear?

Without playing music:i can hear what people talking about beside me clearly and even worst than wearing my IE8
With music play:i still can hear a little voice while people talking around me but could not happen on wearing my IE8

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #1,243 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by clivemilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without playing music:i can hear what people talking about beside me clearly and even worst than wearing my IE8
With music play:i still can hear a little voice while people talking around me but could not happen on wearing my IE8

If you take a finger and gently (and by gently, I mean do not force it) move the earpiece around and then take your other hand and snap your fingers, does it move a lot or a little? Does the sound of the snapping getting a little louder or a lot louder? It should move a little, and the sound should increase a little. If it moves around a lot, or the sound increases a lot, then it could be a fit issue. Again, everyone's ear is different, but I have see that test work on a lot of people.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,244 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear that (and happy to not hear it, if you get what I mean). My ES3X are pretty much on the level of my HD800, and I love them.

HPA, I'm very happy to know that the ES3X are close in SQ to the HD800, because that makes the ES3X a bargain! Ok, now to sell off the "big rig" so I can take a look at maxing out the Woo Audio WA6, do some tube rolling, etc. I've just been having too much fun listening to music with my ES3X...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #1,245 of 1,871
Quote:

roy jones - The seperation is for less than half the way. The rest crashed.

Rdr. Seraphim - Thank you for the advice, but as I already said, there is no imbalance, just my paranoia.

@Pila can you take a nice clear pic from the sides? I want to see where the sound bores are meeting. Trust me here folks a few "mm" does NOT effect the sound a lot (in this setup), prolly not enough for the human ear to detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back