Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,246 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the webbie, i will do this final check before i decide to send them in. I cleared my ear canal before i did the audition.

It is sad, because i know how good they can sound.

Re the link for the hearing test, don't be surprised if you see response variations between your left and right ears, or sensitivity (i.e. one ear more sensitive than the other). And you really need a quiet environment to set the threshold levels. The ES3X does a good job of isolating. If you're in a quiet environment, your hearing threshold should be down greater than 30db+ (extrapolating). It's kinda fun!
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #1,247 of 1,871
Just received my ES3X today: unfortunately the custom art is not what I asked for, and they also sent me the wrong color cable (white instead of white). The right phone is not flushed up against the ear and the bottom sticks up a little and feels sharp when you touch it with your finger.
The sound however is wonderful.
I spoke with Kyle and I think I am going to send them back for the to correct the problems.
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,249 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gilency I am confused about the cable (white instead of white) ? Is that a typo or is there two different types of white or something?

sorry. White instead of black. Typo....
And just to clarify, they feel very very comfortable. I just don't like the fact that the right is not flushed like the left.
The sound is exquisite though! Listening to my favorite music: Bach, Vivaldi....they sound so clear and detailed. The bass is strong but it does not overwhelm the other frequencies. Instruments and voices sound very sweet. The overall sound is not fatiguing at all. I think I purchased the right IEM for me. I am just a little dissapointed I will have to send them back so the right is flushed againt my ear the way the left is.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,251 of 1,871
Another problem with my ES3X: the paint in the custom has began to peel. I have had it for only about 3 hours. This is clearly not acceptable. I don't want an expensive IEM looking all ragged after a few days of use. I asked them to remove the custom art since I am afraid whatever art is painted will eventually peel off and look bad.
And I don't think I need another refit (hopefully not anyway). it feels good in my ear canal. very comfortable except is not completely flushed like the left side.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,253 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry. White instead of black. Typo....
And just to clarify, they feel very very comfortable. I just don't like the fact that the right is not flushed like the left.
The sound is exquisite though! Listening to my favorite music: Bach, Vivaldi....they sound so clear and detailed. The bass is strong but it does not overwhelm the other frequencies. Instruments and voices sound very sweet. The overall sound is not fatiguing at all. I think I purchased the right IEM for me. I am just a little dissapointed I will have to send them back so the right is flushed againt my ear the way the left is.

Just to set a level of expectation, we cannot ALWAYS get both ears just as flush. My left one is a sticks out a little, while my right is very flush. My ears are different sizes so this can happen.

I'm sure Kyle will get you take care of though. As for the artwork..that should NOT be happening. Do apologize about that as well.

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,254 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to set a level of expectation, we cannot ALWAYS get both ears just as flush. My left one is a sticks out a little, while my right is very flush. My ears are different sizes so this can happen.

I'm sure Kyle will get you take care of though. As for the artwork..that should NOT be happening. Do apologize about that as well.

Thank you PH. I am sure Kyle will take care of this for me. Westone's customer service is excellent. I am surprised however they messed up my order after having talked and emailed to them several times. Looking back in this thread there have been some quality issues before and even PM'd you about that. The issue with the paint is very surprising. Just before I mailed them back I noticed in one of the corners the blue paint was chipped and felt kind of soft.
They will remove the custom art before they send it back to me. I already got a refund for that.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #1,256 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by frostfire90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES3X is surely one of the best earphones i've ever bought.

I am sure you are right. The sound is the best I have ever heard from an IEM although granted this is my first custom. My main problem is after having listened to heaven I had to send them back to be fixed. I will be going into withdrawal!

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #1,257 of 1,871
Quote:

Thank you PH. I am sure Kyle will take care of this for me. Westone's customer service is excellent. I am surprised however they messed up my order after having talked and emailed to them several times. Looking back in this thread there have been some quality issues before and even PM'd you about that. The issue with the paint is very surprising. Just before I mailed them back I noticed in one of the corners the blue paint was chipped and felt kind of soft.
They will remove the custom art before they send it back to me. I already got a refund for that.

But I liked the bug-eyed fish.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #1,258 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I liked the bug-eyed fish.

Ha ha ha! the thing is I wanted the fish because my last name is Gil-l like in fish. It has been a nickname in my family.....well no more gills or fish this time.....

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #1,259 of 1,871
Quote:

Sorry to hear about the issues with your ES3X's. Believe me, I can understand exactly how you feel. And I agree with Larry that that was some nice artwork you'd chosen - shame you won't be having it now but can understand your reservations.

Anyway, let us know more about how you find the SQ and I hope your replacement set is top-notch and arrives quickly.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #1,260 of 1,871
I would very much like the ES3X to be my next IEM. To tell you the truth, I think I would rather have this than even the HD800. There seems to still be so many quality control issues though, even after all of this time. In Westone's defense, at least Powerhound is addressing the problems here on this forum as they come up and Westone seems to have fixed every problem so far. I still think that I would rather wait until Westone becomes a fine, well-oiled machine before I spring for them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back