Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #871 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting ES3X as well,
but I am afraid how the custom art would come out.

Following is the custom art that I want to put. What do you guys think?
Would it come out as nice as I expect it to be? Keeps me wondering.

custom.jpg
th_image.jpg

You have PM

May 12, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #872 of 1,871
*takes deep breath and dabs a tear from corner of an eye with a soiled hanky*

Well here we go, I dropped by Westone and picked up my ES3X today! As some of you know I have a pair of ES2s and am a big fan of the ES2 sound. I mean what's not to like, great fit, finish, isolation and superior sound quality to anything else I'd heard until today. "What's he heard?" you ask - I've owned several universal IEMs but say that's not nearly enough - well, I live near HeadphoneAddict and I've listened to nearly everything he's had in his hot little hands. Except his customs... Further my ES2s have held up well under very extreme conditions (Baghdad for example) and look like they did when I first brought them home (see pics I snapped today). Finally, I really had some trepidation and doubt over the degree of improvement any subsequent IEM would have over the ES2s and have resisted the upgrade until now.

Which brings me to this moment. I am listening to the newest pair of ES3X right now and it pains me to report that they are vastly superior to my trusty Westy's (ES2) in every category I can list. I mean good grief, I am listening straight from my iPhone (3G) for cripes sake! I never really loaded a bunch of music on my iPhone because I could not stand to hear the periodic GSM radio interference. So far and doubtlessly unrelated to the ES3X; no GSM buzz. However, and definitely related to the ES3X; the sound is fantastic. Specifically, the clarity is stunning, bass is controlled yet punchy and visceral, the overall detail is amazing, cymbals have that extended decay that I did not (expect to) hear from the ES2 unamp'd. Compared to the ES3X the ES2 (on the iPhone) suddenly sounds *gasp* almost edgy on top and somewhat mushy on the bottom end. The ES3Xs are so musical and fun without the overt coloration. I haven't even tried these on a dac/amp yet (ooh I gotta try the TTVJ Millet Hybrid portable with em) but so far let's suffice it to say that I am ENJOYING the ES3X like I first enjoyed my HP1000. Man that's saying something - am I even gonna need all my other phones now?

Check out the pics, perfect fit, finish and isolation. All that in a rocking translucent black/smoke! (used the flash on the one shot and they warmed the color up a little and made them look more transparent than they actually are on the outside surface - stupid photographer) The ES3X are a tad bigger than my ES2 and not as long in the ear canal but just as comfy, maybe more-so, hard to say just yet if there will be a difference there.

A huge THANK YOU to Powderhound and Westone for developing this "must have" piece of kit. I now understand why HPA is selling off his "excess" headphones like crazy!

I need to do some more listening and hopefully can provide some more detailed impressions with some other gear regarding synergy and such but the way these sound now - who needs synergy?

BTW, you should see the mountain sunburn Powderhound is sporting!

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

May 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #873 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*takes deep breath and dabs a tear from corner of an eye with a soiled hanky*

Well here we go, I dropped by Westone and picked up my ES3X today! As some of you know I have a pair of ES2s and am a big fan of the ES2 sound. I mean what's not to like, great fit, finish, isolation and superior sound quality to anything else I'd heard until today. "What's he heard?" you ask - I've owned several universal IEMs but say that's not nearly enough - well, I live near HeadphoneAddict and I've listened to nearly everything he's had in his hot little hands. Except his customs... Further my ES2s have held up well under very extreme conditions (Baghdad for example) and look like they did when I first brought them home (see pics I snapped today). Finally, I really had some trepidation and doubt over the degree of improvement any subsequent IEM would have over the ES2s and have resisted the upgrade until now.

Which brings me to this moment. I am listening to the newest pair of ES3X right now and it pains me to report that they are vastly superior to my trusty Westy's (ES2) in every category I can list. I mean good grief, I am listening straight from my iPhone (3G) for cripes sake! I never really loaded a bunch of music on my iPhone because I could not stand to hear the periodic GSM radio interference. So far and doubtlessly unrelated to the ES3X; no GSM buzz. However, and definitely related to the ES3X; the sound is fantastic. Specifically, the clarity is stunning, bass is controlled yet punchy and visceral, the overall detail is amazing, cymbals have that extended decay that I did not (expect to) hear from the ES2 unamp'd. Compared to the ES3X the ES2 (on the iPhone) suddenly sounds *gasp* almost edgy on top and somewhat mushy on the bottom end. The ES3Xs are so musical and fun without the overt coloration. I haven't even tried these on a dac/amp yet (ooh I gotta try the TTVJ Millet Hybrid portable with em) but so far let's suffice it to say that I am ENJOYING the ES3X like I first enjoyed my HP1000. Man that's saying something - am I even gonna need all my other phones now?

Check out the pics, perfect fit, finish and isolation. All that in a rocking translucent black/smoke! (used the flash on the one shot and they warmed the color up a little and made them look more transparent than they actually are on the outside surface - stupid photographer) The ES3X are a tad bigger than my ES2 and not as long in the ear canal but just as comfy, maybe more-so, hard to say just yet if there will be a difference there.

A huge THANK YOU to Powderhound and Westone for developing this "must have" piece of kit. I now understand why HPA is selling off his "excess" headphones like crazy!

I need to do some more listening and hopefully can provide some more detailed impressions with some other gear regarding synergy and such but the way these sound now - who needs synergy?

BTW, you should see the mountain sunburn Powderhound is sporting!

IMG_2633.jpg

Looks nice!

I am so glad you got to hear what I was talking about. When you called me today about your first listen you were giggling like a school girl (people, he really was giggling as he tried to describe the sound). I was afraid you were about to wet your pants! I loved it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I still think the ES3X are the cat's meow.
beerchug.gif

May 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #874 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice!

I am so glad you got to hear what I was talking about. When you called me today about your first listen you were giggling like a school girl (people, he really was giggling as he tried to describe the sound). I was afraid you were about to wet your pants! I loved it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I still think the ES3X are the cat's meow.
beerchug.gif

Ha! Not really an exaggeration - well I did manage to stay dry! How am I going to get to sleep tonight?
tongue.gif

There you have it, my iPhone battery just reported in at below 10%
icon10.gif

May 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #875 of 1,871
Blutarsky - Congratulations!

I oredered mine in translucent black/smoke too. Because they said that clear will go yellow over the times ...

This smoky black looks awsome!

BTW, with no connection - why some of you guys name have a diffrent look? I mean, its bold and in lighter blue.

May 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #877 of 1,871
Heh, I really enjoy reading the impressions from folks who own other top shelf IEMs and headphones claiming that perhaps the ES3X's are it! Enough to either sell off the rest or at least let them gather dust.

If any company could keep the sound of the ES3X's but make them full-sized/open I think they would have the best headphone in the world, no contest.

May 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #878 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I really enjoy reading the impressions from folks who own other top shelf IEMs and headphones claiming that perhaps the ES3X's are it! Enough to either sell off the rest or at least let them gather dust.

If any company could keep the sound of the ES3X's but make them full-sized/open I think they would have the best headphone in the world, no contest.

Yeah - I think you saw in my review where I detailed the flaws I have found in every one of my full size dynamic or electrostatic cans. Yet I can't find any flaws in the ES3X that I would like to see fixed. It would be great to find a full size headphone that didn't need to be fixed - hence my pre-order for HD800.

May 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #879 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by stolix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed they didn't print R and L on the multi-colored pair. It amuses me because I got them in different colors because I can't tell my right from my left anyways (at least not without thinking about it. If we're in a car together, I'll say "go THAT way")

Whoaaaa I think we got the same colors, friend!!! Your red monitor is your R I'm assuming. I'm glad they look sweet!!! Now I'm super excited b/c since they don't have a candy red, i was afraid the Neon Red wouldn't match the candy blue, but IT DOES!! Mine should be coming in a week but Imma be out of town until June 8th or so. =/ Congrats again.

May 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #880 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blutarsky - Congratulations!

I oredered mine in translucent black/smoke too. Because they said that clear will go yellow over the times ...

This smoky black looks awsome!

BTW, with no connection - why some of you guys name have a diffrent look? I mean, its bold and in lighter blue.

Thanks man, I'm glad they decided to offer this color - it's really an awesome look. I love that it compliments my other pair but is easy to quickly differentiate the two pairs.

I think you're referring to my username? It means I am a contributor to the site - check out the contributor page, there are benefits beyond just keeping this great community going.

May 13, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #881 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Zanth! Hey I have an HP1000/HP1, and a Melos Gold because of you!

Sometimes you just know right away that you have run into something very special. Kinda raises the hair on the nape of the neck and causes that very silly grin (speaking for myself of course).

I agree - if this sound could be duplicated on a full-size phone I'd be in line for one too. Luckily I spend lots of time with IEMs and have less opportunity with my full size lovely's so this iteration/incarnation works out just fine...
tongue.gif

May 13, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #882 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Zanth! Hey I have an HP1000/HP1, and a Melos Gold because of you!

Sometimes you just know right away that you have run into something very special. Kinda raises the hair on the nape of the neck and causes that very silly grin (speaking for myself of course).

I agree - if this sound could be duplicated on a full-size phone I'd be in line for one too. Luckily I spend lots of time with IEMs and have less opportunity with my full size lovely's so this iteration/incarnation works out just fine...
tongue.gif

Yeah, but I was the one who fed you that first HP-1000.
biggrin.gif

I do have to say that your latest HP-1000 with Equinox cable is fantastic sounding.

May 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #883 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blutarsky...
awesomeness beyond words!
ES3X does rock...and rocks hard!

i feel like getting another one...with the smoke shell!

Thanks xandman! I can't think of anything I'd change regarding the signature or the looks.

I have more listening to do for sure but man these things are simply more fun and satisfying than I thought possible for an IEM.

Heck this sound signature makes you not want to use limiting labels like IEM when you discuss the ES3X - that's telling huh?

May 13, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #885 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but I was the one who fed you that first HP-1000.
biggrin.gif

I do have to say that your latest HP-1000 with Equinox cable is fantastic sounding.

HA! You're right and ruined me for all my favorite headphones at the time. Why, I had to trade or sell every phone I had (except my ES2) in order to nick those off you!
tongue.gif

AND NOW THIS? What kind of friend are you anyway?
wink.gif

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back