Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 9, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #556 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be even better when you use the Pico with a USB connection to a computer.
wink.gif

-Ed

How's the hiss level of Pico vs Mustang?
I'm torn between these 2 sweet amps..

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #557 of 1,871
I guess this question have been debated over and over again in head fi, but do u guys really hear any difference in 320kbps and lossless format?

I've tried using an entry level DAC and using Media Monkey to my ES3X, but I can't hear any difference in quality between 320 and lossless, no matter how many times I do a A/B comparison.
Bottleneck might be the DAC, or my ears might not be that sensitive anymore as I used to jam in studios at deafening vol when I was young.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #558 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be even better when you use the Pico with a USB connection to a computer.
wink.gif

-Ed

That is how I am using them now, Compass from my comp with the ES3X's. However, the Compass picks up some AC hum no matter where I am so I'm hoping for good things from a Pico. Because the ES3X's are so sensitive, they don't require a lot of power at all. Plugging them into a Melos or some huge solid state amp isn't going to be all that influential safe for some flavouring, so going with tiny and silent is what is needed. The Pico and the like are what I'm concentrating on now, and for truly portable use, a DAP that has a digital output to feed into the unit.

Mostly though, I'll be using my comp and a silo full of terabyte drives with, well, all my music
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #559 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the hiss level of Pico vs Mustang?
I'm torn between these 2 sweet amps..

They are both pretty silent with my ES3X, using a D10 as DAC or with my iMod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this question have been debated over and over again in head fi, but do u guys really hear any difference in 320kbps and lossless format?

I've tried using an entry level DAC and using Media Monkey to my ES3X, but I can't hear any difference in quality between 320 and lossless, no matter how many times I do a A/B comparison.
Bottleneck might be the DAC, or my ears might not be that sensitive anymore as I used to jam in studios at deafening vol when I was young.

With a higher level DAC you can hear the nicer DAC's extra micro-detail, ambience and space and air, the quietest rustlings of fingers and strings and papers, echoes off the walls, etc. Just moving up from the PCM2702E based DAC of the 3MOVE or XM5 (or Predator if that is what it uses) to the Pico DAC or iBasso D10 offers this upgrade in sound. You also get it from upgrading your iPod to an iMod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is how I am using them now, Compass from my comp with the ES3X's. However, the Compass picks up some AC hum no matter where I am so I'm hoping for good things from a Pico. Because the ES3X's are so sensitive, they don't require a lot of power at all. Plugging them into a Melos or some huge solid state amp isn't going to be all that influential safe for some flavoring, so going with tiny and silent is what is needed. The Pico and the like are what I'm concentrating on now, and for truly portable use, a DAP that has a digital output to feed into the unit.

Mostly though, I'll be using my comp and a silo full of terabyte drives with, well, all my music
smily_headphones1.gif

I find my ES3X actually work pretty well off my full size Woo WA6. It is not as good sounding (synergy) with the IEM as with the full size cans, but there is no hiss, noise or hum.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #561 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will pick up my ES3X on Monday and have both the P-51 and D10. Larry, I see you use both combinations. Do you have a preference between the P-51 and D10 with the ES3X?

I like both with the ES3X - I use the D10 with my Macbook and Optical DAC, and I use the Mustang with my iMod and portable VCap dock.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #562 of 1,871
Hi guys.
I m planning to get an ES3X.
And i've done my impression.
Can anyone advice me, how long can the impressions last before they deform or become bad?
I am wondering whether should i ship using cheap method or express method.
Thanks in advance guys. =)

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #563 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys.
I m planning to get an ES3X.
And i've done my impression.
Can anyone advice me, how long can the impressions last before they deform or become bad?
I am wondering whether should i ship using cheap method or express method.
Thanks in advance guys. =)

Well, my audiologist told me it's about 2 weeks before they deform. Since you've already decided on getting an ES3x, just send them in as early as you can!

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #564 of 1,871
i have a question for users who have powered the ES3X directly out of their DAPs.

Due to the very high sensitivity, have you noticed that you have an increase in battery life? If so, how much did you gain? (how many hours w/previous phones vs hours w/ES3X)

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #565 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride1685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question for users who have powered the ES3X directly out of their DAPs.

Due to the very high sensitivity, have you noticed that you have an increase in battery life? If so, how much did you gain? (how many hours w/previous phones vs hours w/ES3X)

The increase sensitivity means it can be used at lower volumes increasing battery life. The actual sensitivity of the earphones doesn't lower battery life.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #566 of 1,871
I picked up my orange ES3X from this morning.

I am so upset I am having the same channel imbalance problem two users have already reported here; vocals are slightly coming from north-east in my headstage a.k.a. right monitor is louder than the left one. I compared them with my W3 and they certainly don't have it.

Also, is it normal that the transition between the plate and body (the impression part) is so uneven, lacerated, just not a "clean cut"? I know they are hand-made, but it looks a bit sloppy to me. Please have look at the picture:

DSC00807.jpg

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #567 of 1,871
^ Sorry for that let down. I would be dissapointed too
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #568 of 1,871
^^^ You know, that seems a bit lazy to me as well. I would be very disappointed to, considering all the money it cost. Wow, Westone, what is up with you guys? This makes me want to get the UE11's instead.

P.S. You have nice cuticles though! : )

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #569 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up my orange ES3X from this morning.

I am so upset I am having the same channel imbalance problem two users have already reported here; vocals are slightly coming from north-east in my headstage a.k.a. right monitor is louder than the left one. I compared them with my W3 and they certainly don't have it.

Also, is it normal that the transition between the plate and body (the impression part) is so uneven, lacerated, just not a "clean cut"? I know they are hand-made, but it looks a bit sloppy to me. Please have look at the picture:

Mine even have small bubbles in the plastics, and the outer surface of the IEM have small little dents on it, seems like a poor workmanship to me.

The right ear also sounds louder. The sales guy told me its due to a bad seal but personally I think it might be the imbalance channels.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #570 of 1,871
I have to say that I'm noticing the RIGHT IEM to be louder than the left. Unfortunately, I only have blackberry earbuds to compare to. It seems very odd that all of us are complaining about the left channel being not as loud, do we all have bad seals on the left? I've played a number of different songs and at first I thought it was the recording,I think there is something up with the latest batch of customs! My serial # is 110 (or is it 111).

Also, I noticed with the right custom (red dot), where the cord goes in, I can see a part of the gold connector, it doesn't sit as flush against the shell as the left side. I might have to bite the bullet and go back to my audiologist to have these sent back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back