Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 6, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #511 of 1,871
Hey Shinsight, you've had your ES3X for a week or so - any more impressions?

And davidhunternyc, When are you making an appointment with an audiologist? It's about time you did
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #512 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine for around $1242 CAD total on March 5th (i think i lost the receipt
confused_face_2.gif
).

Thats good to hear. much more reasonable price.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #513 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Shinsight, you've had your ES3X for a week or so - any more impressions?

I don't have much to add from what has been stated already by other ES3X users. The previously posted descriptions of the ES3X's sonic qualities are fairly accurate in comparison to what I hear when using them.

However, I will be going to my hearing clinic for a refit tomorrow because the end tips do feel slightly loose. Jaw movements and facial expressions cause the tips to move around a bit but the seal doesn't seem to break. It just feels kinda tingly inside sometimes. When I got my ear impressions done, I didn't have a bite block so I had a slight bit a movement in my jaw which probably caused the minor glitch
frown.gif
. Maybe I'll see if I can get slightly longer tips if possible.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #514 of 1,871
Quote:

And davidhunternyc, When are you making an appointment with an audiologist? It's about time you did
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I have only had my IE8 now for a couple of months. Can I enjoy them for a little while longer? They weren't cheap! : ) Also, it tax time now and I must pay the piper first. I don't owe a cent on my credit cards and I want to keep it that way too. Maybe in 6 months I will spring for the ES3X, if the economy improves somewhat. But I feel like Veruca Salt in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" - I WANT THAT GOLDEN TICKET! I WANT IT NOW!

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #515 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have only had my IE8 now for a couple of months. Can I enjoy them for a little while longer? They weren't cheap! : ) Also, it tax time now and I must pay the piper first. I don't owe a cent on my credit cards and I want to keep it that way too. Maybe in 6 months I will spring for the ES3X, if the economy improves somewhat. But I feel like Veruca Salt in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" - I WANT THAT GOLDEN TICKET! I WANT IT NOW!

I didn't know you'd recently purchased the IE8's. I somehow thought you were looking for your first set of custom IEM's, and that perhaps you'd had the SE530's or Tripe fi10's for some time now and wanted an upgrade.

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #517 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You likely don't have a good seal. You may need a refit and unless Westone changed their policy over the last few years the first refit is free, and possibly more on top of that depending on how much you complain. Also since this is your first IEM, there is a good chance that you're not inserting it properly, or deep enough. With customs there's only one way to wear them right and you will feel a sort of "snapping into place" sensation when the fit is right, like a piece fitting properly into a jigsaw puzzle. Provided the fit is right in the first place.

Missing bass in an IEM is a very good symptom of a bad seal. You can even get good isolation and still have a bad seal and get little bass. Other symptoms are tonal problems, and sibilance/metallic character in the highs.

It could also be an issue of expectations and being used to bloated V700-style bass, but then again the HD280 Pro had pretty much no bass in my experience, and the ES3x should best it easily in the bass department. The ES2 did by miles, and in general had very considerable amounts of bass though it was well-controlled and properly integrated into the rest of the frequency range.

So, check your seal, play around with fit, and possibly go in for a refit. Also talk to Westone, they know their stuff.

Getting multiple refits with custom IEMs is not uncommon. Westone is better than average when it comes to fit but even they can't be perfect on the first try every time.

Sorry for the delay in response. I have contacted Westone and yes, you were right... my right ear has a bad fit... if i move the IEM slighlty the seal brakes. I have an unusual ear / cartilage construction so thats gonna be interesting to fix. Thanks for the hint and i will keep you updated with the progress!

J

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #518 of 1,871
I'm just a bit of funding short of pulling the trigger on these... But soon...

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bass head and didn't realize it... My biggest fear is that I'll be unhappy with the quantity of bass. Having only the Sensaphonics 2X-S to compare these with, I'm thinking I won't be disappointed... Still it's that tentativeness in pulling the trigger on these vs. the UE11, ya know?

Any buyers remorse from anyone thus far?

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #519 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just a bit of funding short of pulling the trigger on these... But soon...

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bass head and didn't realize it... My biggest fear is that I'll be unhappy with the quantity of bass. Having only the Sensaphonics 2X-S to compare these with, I'm thinking I won't be disappointed... Still it's that tentativeness in pulling the trigger on these vs. the UE11, ya know?

Any buyers remorse from anyone thus far?

I am a bass-head and the ES3X have enough bass for me, although slightly less than Westone 3, IE8, D2000 or Edition 9. I'd say more bass than my RS-1, Livewires, re-cased custom SE530 or Phonak Audeo as well.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #520 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the delay in response. I have contacted Westone and yes, you were right... my right ear has a bad fit... if i move the IEM slighlty the seal brakes. I have an unusual ear / cartilage construction so thats gonna be interesting to fix. Thanks for the hint and i will keep you updated with the progress!

J

Is it that hard material custom IEM generally does not offer a better seal as compared to silicon one ?
My friend just got his ES3X but also encountered the same issue.

Bass wise is lower as compared to his previous W3. But he really liked the mid, in par or better than the Shure. Basically everything sound natural & he like it very much. I am still waiting for more feedback from him as this is only his first listening impression.

Look like the sound is much closer to Shure but not that warm as compare to Shure and totally different from Westone.

Anybody compared this to ACS T1 ?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #522 of 1,871
Interesting that folks are noting that silicon seems to seal better. I find this as well. Tri-flangs are best for me, they seal more than my customs. So UM2's or Etys with tri-flangs provide a better seal, more isolation and all that jazz, but aside from a more quiet listening environment, that is about the limit to their superiority to the ES3X's.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #523 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it that hard material custom IEM generally does not offer a better seal as compared to silicon one ?
My friend just got his ES3X but also encountered the same issue.

The reason why the seal is bad in my case is because of my ear. I have custom silicone ear plugs by Westone, and I had similar issues. I had to send the earplugs back 3 times, plus i had to send 2 ear impressions. This is not Westone's fault. My outer ear cartilage is different so thats why the seal is messed up. I must say Westone Customer Service goes above and beyond and they took my ear imperfection as a challenge and do everything in their power to solve this. They are amazing!

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #524 of 1,871
Quote:

The bad:
The balance of left/right sound reproduction is, er, unbalanced, ie more sound coming from the right earpiece (ep) than the left one.

The excitement of a great new product, the great SQ coupled with the prospect of sending ES3X back to Westone... well, I wanted to wait and see if there really was a problem or not -- I noticed the lower end of the left ep sticks out about half a centimetre (0.5mm) and, though not uncomfortable, the ep doesn't quite snap into place as it should like the right one does. I compared my other headphones & IEMs and there definitely is an imbalance, not massive but clearly there.

The Good:
Spoke to someone from Westone, who explained that this sometimes happens and that it was nothing to do with my left ear impression but a fault from their end. So, they'll be covering the cost for FedEx 48-hr Express delivery both ways.

Westone's CS is absolutely superb. The person I spoke to was very reassuring, friendly, and professional - he asked several questions and answered all of mine thoroughly, never rushing or trying to convince me of anything.

I just collected my Candy Blue ES3X, and face the same problem as you.
My left side sounds slightly softer compared to the right, not a significant difference but its noticeable, and I thought it might be the impression problem!
I guess I will be going back to the authorized dealer to get it send back to Westone.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #525 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you have the ACS T1. How do you like it? What made you choose that over the T2, which I read is not better, but some may prefer their sound or presentation to the T1s.

I am already using T1 for a couple of months. I do not know how the T2 sound as this is my first customise IEM.

The T1 offered a natural sound but some people might feel that the vocal more enhanced as it's meant more for stage but I don't really find that.

Of course, it's up to individual listening preference. I read that the ES3X mid is very smooth & good for vocal. And it's sound is much closer to Shure which is warm but I doubt it's that warm as what I had read here. My friend first impression is it's just sound great & natural. Not much of the high & low as compared to the W3 which he own ( he is using the long tip ). And surprisingly, his Sony player can amplified the sound much louder as compared to when he was using the W3 ( maybe the ES3X sensitivity is much higher ).

I am yet to decide on ES5X. I will asked him again this Friday when we meet.

Or maybe if if there is a new ACS T1X which I will definitely wait & go ahead
wink_face.gif

As for my Ti which is of silicon material. There is pro & con. Comfortability & seal is good but as I used my one sparingly, it's wording going to be fade off & I will never choose a white colour for my next purchase as it's dirty and oxide easily. My ACS T1 tip is much longer than his ES3X which my friend feel it's a bit short. I am not sure can we asked ES3X to increase the tip length ?

I am still waiting for a comparison between ACS T1 & ES3X but after reading from page 1 till here, I think I can roughly guess how does ES3X sound.

Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back