Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #436 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I just got the ES3X IEMs and am excited to start using them. From a first impression they sound great but I'm afraid they are lacking a little but of bass.

These are my first IEMs and dont really have any others to reference with, so I believe my impression of the bass is purely because I have been using the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro cans so far which have way too much bass
smily_headphones1.gif

beyersmile.png

I feel quite the opposite coming from AD-900's since they're quite lean on bass. There are times when i can actually feel the bass even on the lowest volumes
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #437 of 1,871
...on the subject of highs (again):

Just listening to Henry Cow's album In Praise of Learning, to the song Beautiful as the Moon - Terrible as an Army with Banners, the percussion is absolutely mad, incredibly varied, detailed & complex - EVERYTHING sounds just right with the ES3X. If the ES3X added even just a little in the high frequencies, this 7-minute song, in particular, would be terribly spoilt.

Although I'll never know if this was indeed how this music was meant to be reproduced, the ES3X, to these ears, excel in this challenging recording. Hats off to Westone!

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #438 of 1,871
I like how Edwood mysteriously vanished from posting in this thread after him stating that he was comparing his ES3X with his R-10s..haha

Could it be that hes too embarrassed to admit that the ES3X's sound is on the same level of enjoyment or even better?

Joking aside, post your impressions about the comparision Ed!

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #440 of 1,871
I seem to have the longer tips for the ES3X's. My audiologist commented on how large my ear canals were when he made the molds. He was able to get WAY deep (to the point that it was a bit uncomfortable). However, now that I have the proper fit going on with the ES3X's, I must say the comfort and isolation are excellent.

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #441 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the response!
I am using a Pioneer DJM 800 mixer for DJing. There is a 1/4 phones plug in the front of mixer with its own level adjustment. Specs say the following:
1 x (Jack 6.3mm) +8.5 dBu / 32 Ohm

I just got the ES3X today and have plugged them in directly to the mixer, the level knob on mixer is barely up and already super loud, thats why i'm asking if a headphone amp might be the way to go so i can protect this babies
smily_headphones1.gif
What do you think is a good choice as far as an amp? Im gonna be using it in a club environment.
You are right about the hiss, there is a slight hiss if i just use a 1/4 adapter.

In the past I was mixing with the DJ1pro and westone er15 earplugs but decided to upgrade to IEMs. Save my ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would first get the Shure Volume Attenuator - because then you can fix the hiss and the loud volume both in one shot. With an amp you may be amplifying the hiss, or you may not because of the impedance load on the 1/4" jack will be different with different amps.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #442 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to have the longer tips for the ES3X's. My audiologist commented on how large my ear canals were when he made the molds. He was able to get WAY deep (to the point that it was a bit uncomfortable). However, now that I have the proper fit going on with the ES3X's, I must say the comfort and isolation are excellent.

Ha! Did you get that tingle in the back of your throat that makes ya cough??

My audiologist said she listens for that, that's how she knows she's gone deep enough. <- Ok, that didn't sound right!
ph34r.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #444 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got mine finally! They sound spectacular. Mine is Candy Blue for Right, Emerald Green for Left, with a baby penguin art thing that my gf said I should get lol. I'll post pics after. They are extremely comfortable and isolation is way above what my PFEs had, SQ wise too
wink.gif

WOO HOO!!!

Need pics - I still like my sour apple candy green, er... I mean emerald green. The baby penguins I can live without, unless I'm gonna eat 'em. I wanna eat everything right now, gotta go to dinner...

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #446 of 1,871

Baby penguin, I like penguins so gf wanted me to put that on since she thinks it's cute
tongue.gif
I went with blue for the right ear and green for the left to help me tell them apart easily. Blue is my main favorite color and I'm right side dominant and green is my 2nd favorite so that goes left
tongue.gif

It came out nicer than I thought it would, the guys at westone really know their stuff. Also through the entire process, they kept me updated through many emails, even asking me multiple times to confirm the colors and designs (they emailed me again 1-2 hours before mine were going into the lab to confirm) and giving suggestions if I couldn't decide, so it would come out nicely. All of them are incredibly friendly. These are my first custom IEMs and the guys at Westone made the entire process extremely pleasant.

As for the sound, what is there to say that hasn't been said already? The sound is incredibly organic and balanced sounding.

The highs don't seem recessed at all, its there but it shimmers only when it's supposed to be there so its very non-fatiguing, very non-artificial sounding compared to other iems. No sibilance at all, even through parts with lots of highs.

The bass extends a bit deeper and has more impact than the PFEs. The lower details are also heard better than on the PFEs.

The mids, that's where it's major strength lies. Female voices and the like sound so natural. I can picture them singing in front of me and can imagine how their mouths are opening and closing and their facial expressions while they are singing. It's quite relaxing, and a little bit creepy
wink.gif

The overall detail and clarity is there too, much more so than my PFEs. There are subtle nuances that I can hear that I didn't notice with my PFEs before, like when a female singer is singing a long note, I can hear subtle details in her breath while she's letting loose. It almost seems like she's in front of me and I can hear and feel her breath hitting me, without the risk of bad breath anyway
wink.gif

Yes, it may sound like a broken record already but everyone's thoughts and impressions seem to be spot on, so the descriptions of the ES3X seem to be mostly the same
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #449 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would first get the Shure Volume Attenuator - because then you can fix the hiss and the loud volume both in one shot. With an amp you may be amplifying the hiss, or you may not because of the impedance load on the 1/4" jack will be different with different amps.

Thanks for the tip. Already ordered the Shure Volume Attenuator. should be getting it on thursday. Thanks for the tip!

Can i use both the Shure Volume Attenuator and a headphone amp chained? Or not advisable?
I'm sorry for the all the questions but I just want to make sure I'm properly taking care of the ES3X.

Ps. I picked candy blue too and they are awesome color! (No penguin for me... ahhaha)

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #450 of 1,871
Congrats! Ricey20 - nothing like a great midrange
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back