Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #376 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I also spoke to Stefan. The price I'm going to pay is slightly above 1000 euro, impressions and p&p inclusive. Transparant blue with black cable :)

That is quite a premium!! How much are they in U.S? $850 isn't it? If I've got this right, this is quite an incredible mark-up we're lookin at! 1000 euro equates to 928.50 GBP at current exchange rates. That means, converting to dollars, a price of $1329.49! Pretty steep! $850 would exchange to 639.34 Euro and 593.63 GBP. Still, all the best with em dude
icon10.gif
. I may have to reconsider, personally, at that asking price, however.
frown.gif
Bloody Variphone...

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #377 of 1,871
Yes, it's expensive, but for Sennheiser it is the same in U.S. Don't know why. The price doesn't bother me too much, the reviews in this tread convinced me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #378 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's expensive, but for Sennheiser it is the same in U.S. Don't know why. The price doesn't bother me too much, the reviews in this tread convinced me.

Oh aye, don't get me wrong; on the glowing impressions so far for this IEM, if you have the budget why the hell not?!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd be right there with you if I had that kinda cash atm. It is a hefty mark-up in this case, though and, as I don't have THAT kinda cash, it's personally disappointing to see these at such an escalated price as I might of been able to find a way to fund them if they had been nearer the U.S. retail price.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #380 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by berthoud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is everyone's wait once theyve gotten their impressions made? I'm almost 3 weeks out yet and nothing yet.

Its hard to wait with all of these reviews!

I think they usually ship out the IEM approximately 2 weeks after they get your impressions, give or take a few. You could PM P0wderH0und23 and ask about them.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #381 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by berthoud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is everyone's wait once theyve gotten their impressions made? I'm almost 3 weeks out yet and nothing yet.

Its hard to wait with all of these reviews!

A bulk of the wait time depends on how you had them shipped to\from Westone. I paid an additional $30 for the internal rush, and I also called Westone and asked to have them overnight back to the audiologist. I spoke with Kyle yesterday and found out I made it to the "lab".. Hopefully this means I'll have them this coming week.

Give them a call Monday, they should be able to give you a status. Westone's customer service has been excellent so far, they treat ya like a rock star! (wow, that rhymed!)

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #382 of 1,871
So, I'm guessing since the ES3X is not as bright as the Phonak, the highs do not sparkle quite as much? Correct me if I'm wrong. For me, my PFE sounds best with grey filters and silicones, so the sparkle I'm talking about is the one present with that configuration. Also, my source, an S639F, is sort of dark, so please take that into consideration.

Some people are bassheads. I'm a sparklehead.

PS - I have read the thread and the links you posted now.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #383 of 1,871
Do you have experience with Etys? If the Phonaks are anywhere near the Etys in the highs, then no, the ES3X's do not sparkle in the same way. That is, there is no prominence there nor is there a depleted bass response either (which the Etys suffer from). So everything sounds right, balanced with no prominence readily heard from any one area of the spectrum.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #384 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try pushing them out from behind your ear - put a finger along your jaw line to under the pinna of the ear, and pop them out from the under-side of the ear, instead of pulling them out from the outer side of the ear.

I did this last night after I was finished listening and it worked like a charm! I also slept with them as a test and it went very well. Not as comfortable as the UM2's but pretty darn close.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #385 of 1,871
I am looking at getting a new IEM and was going to chose between the UE-11 and of course the Westone ES3x. I know at this level it may be just a matter of preference, but I thought I would ask this anyway. I listen to pop/rock, which one is better for this type of music? Thanks

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #386 of 1,871
I am still amazed at how good the ES3X sound right out of my iPhone 3G headphone jack. No hiss, just clear beautiful transparent music. Every bit as enjoyable as the Macbook with a nice high-end DAC/amp like D10 or Pico, etc...

[EDIT - fixed a mis-use of the wrong word (good) in the above. Obviously it doesn't have to be technically as good to be as enjoyable. As a source I rank Pico/D10 > IMod > iPhone 3G > nano or 5.5g ipod headphone out]

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #387 of 1,871
Quote:

I am still amazed at how good the ES3X sound right out of my iPhone 3G headphone jack. No hiss, just clear beautiful transparent music. Every bit as good as the Macbook with a nice high-end DAC/amp like D10 or Pico, etc...

what....I hope you are exaggerating here?? otherwise why did I just buy a dac?? I have the iphone 3G and while its got the best HP jack in the apple line for sure (IMO) its not difficult to better it with an external amp, so I would hope that an external DAC->AMP would be considerably better and your posts on the matter seem to indicate the same until this one.
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #388 of 1,871
I don't know if this comparison helps but I own both the UE10 and the W3, and i generally prefer the W3's sound signature......... I would guess the UE11 and the ES3 would be a fair comparison, may be worth saving the 300 bucks.........then again, the UE11 are four drivers so its really a different animal. The UE10s are amazing sounding, the reason I prefer the W3 is largely for its handing of the bass and low mids, I suppose the UE11s would be equal or better in this area

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #389 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what....I hope you are exaggerating here?? otherwise why did I just buy a dac?? I have the iphone 3G and while its got the best HP jack in the apple line for sure (IMO) its not difficult to better it with an external amp, so I would hope that an external DAC->AMP would be considerably better and your posts on the matter seem to indicate the same until this one.
confused.gif

I meant to say every bit as enjoyable, sorry, bad choice of words. Obviously it doesn't have to be technically as good to be as enjoyable.

I rank Apogee mini-DAC or PS Audio DL3 w/ WA6 > Pico/D10 > IMod (depending on caps and amp) > iPhone 3G hp out > nano headphone out > 5.5G ipod headphone out.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #390 of 1,871
Quote:

I meant to say every bit as enjoyable, sorry, bad choice of words. Obviously it doesn't have to be technically as good to be as enjoyable.

I rank Apogee mini-DAC or PS Audio DL3 w/ WA6 > Pico/D10 > IMod (depending on caps and amp) > iPhone 3G hp out > nano headphone out > 5.5G ipod headphone out.

Larry, I'm not sure my chemistry & physics classes at school were more difficult than this!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back