Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #211 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i've not heard the ES3X, I do own the UE-11s. My impressions of the UE-11s are very similar to HPAs when he describes his experience with the ES3X's. When i listen to the UE-11s the sound is quite captivating. Its headstage is mysterious in that im also unable to localize sound when listening to them. However i do believe its the combination of its transparency and dynamics, along with the fact that it does not incorporate the pinna.

However, although its soundstage is so impressively articulate and precise, its not the same feeling i get when listening to highend full size rigs, only as far as soundstage is concerned. There is a caveat though.

Most of my impressions left me baffled as to why many fairly expensive full size rigs (headphones and speakers) did not give me the sheer involvment in music as the UE-11s do. Its simply the fact that when introducing the pinna, the transducer now has the task of eliminating the fact that your ear can now better localize the headstage. This is somthing that i've found to be almost impossible to ignore with headphones. I don't get the visceral and emotional feeling of music when i can clearly hear the sound coming from an inch away from each ear, even if its so incredibly slight. Its just not natural.

Not until listening to a very small group of highend, mostly electrostatic based rigs, did i find out that headphones can be so dynamic and precise that it can actually incorporate the pinna, but trick you into only hearing the soundstage. At this point the pinna cannot localize the sound anymore, just like the UE-11s(or HPA's description of the ES3X's), but now have more headstage room to fill with sound. Speakers are different in that they are much farther away than any headphone is, which is imo the reason why they can give sound such realistic space, since the headstage they project is literally moving through larger spaces, which our ears can process as actual space that music is travelling in. However like headphones, they still need to trick the pinna into not being able to directly localize the sound. This is of course possible with high quality gear as always.

berthoud, i don't think the ESW3's are what your looking for. It seems like you need a high quality speaker rig.
evil_smiley.gif
High end custom IEMs, like the UE-11s shine at producing rock solid imaging, dynamics and transparency, but its soundstage will not be the same as full size rigs or speakers. Its amazing quality at a smaller scale. This something you must understand to appreciate them.

I'm glad someone hears and understands exactly what I am talking about with high end custom IEM vs full size electrostatic headphone rig vs speakers.

You also reminded me to include my Sennheiser HE60 in my short list of those full size phones that disappear with a big soundstage, but at the expense of the bass impact and immersion and presence of the instruments. Still, NONE of my full size headphone rigs give me the same complete sense of immersion and presence and weight of the instruments that the ES3X can - since I got the ES3X I hardly listen to anything else if I can avoid it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #212 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by 521ztz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows how much this costs in Europe?

Here in The Netherlands they cost around 1.000 euro, all inclusive.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #213 of 1,871
Hmmm...uh oh. HD 800s or ES3X. Although I do have the impressions already.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #214 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...uh oh. HD 800s or ES3X. Although I do have the impressions already.

Gotta decide before your ears change shape
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #215 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta decide before your ears change shape
biggrin.gif

Nice one!

Perhaps I'll wait at least until HPA gives his opinion when they arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #219 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i've not heard the ES3X, I do own the UE-11s. My impressions of the UE-11s are very similar to HPAs when he describes his experience with the ES3X's. When i listen to the UE-11s the sound is quite captivating. Its headstage is mysterious in that im also unable to localize sound when listening to them. However i do believe its the combination of its transparency and dynamics, along with the fact that it does not incorporate the pinna.

However, although its soundstage is so impressively articulate and precise, its not the same feeling i get when listening to highend full size rigs, only as far as soundstage is concerned. There is a caveat though.

Most of my impressions left me baffled as to why many fairly expensive full size rigs (headphones and speakers) did not give me the sheer involvment in music as the UE-11s do. Its simply the fact that when introducing the pinna, the transducer now has the task of eliminating the fact that your ear can now better localize the headstage. This is somthing that i've found to be almost impossible to ignore with headphones. I don't get the visceral and emotional feeling of music when i can clearly hear the sound coming from an inch away from each ear, even if its so incredibly slight. Its just not natural.

Not until listening to a very small group of highend, mostly electrostatic based rigs, did i find out that headphones can be so dynamic and precise that it can actually incorporate the pinna, but trick you into only hearing the soundstage. At this point the pinna cannot localize the sound anymore, just like the UE-11s(or HPA's description of the ES3X's), but now have more headstage room to fill with sound. Speakers are different in that they are much farther away than any headphone is, which is imo the reason why they can give sound such realistic space, since the headstage they project is literally moving through larger spaces, which our ears can process as actual space that music is travelling in. However like headphones, they still need to trick the pinna into not being able to directly localize the sound. This is of course possible with high quality gear as always.

berthoud, i don't think the ESW3's are what your looking for. It seems like you need a high quality speaker rig.
evil_smiley.gif
[size=medium]High end custom IEMs, like the UE-11s shine at producing rock solid imaging, dynamics and transparency,[/size] but its soundstage will not be the same as full size rigs or speakers. Its amazing quality at a smaller scale. This something you must understand to appreciate them.

There...

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #220 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but where did you read that?

From Digihead post on the Westone ES3x vs. UE10 thread..

The UE11 has an inky black background whereas the ES3x has a bit less of that black background. The UE11 paint on an absolute black canvas so that the images are well defined and shaped. I think that the soundstage of the UE11 is a bit wider and deeper than that of the ES3x, although both are killer.

There is just something about the ES3x sound that is intoxicating. To compare the mids (question of the moment...) I went back to what I know...The Grateful Dead. How would Jerry and the boys sound? Would I be able to hear them step up to the mic? Would I hear each of them chiming in on Good Lovin? Would Jerry singing Althea bring me those goosebumps I know so well? YES, YES and YES....

When I listen to Go To Nassau Disc 2 I could close my eyes and see Jerry singing. I could see Bobby up at the mic singing Lost Sailor. I could see Brent over on the right being all wiggy and singing as well. It was an amazing, captivating experience. It put me right in the venue. An undeniable experience of being there with 20,000 of my closest friends...

In comparison, the UE11 have a bigger, deeper soundstage. The highs shimmer a bit more. A bit more refinement and definition. However, the mids don't have that same magic effect. I don't see Jerry up at the mic the way I do when I close my eyes with the ES3x. He sounds great, but sounds a bit smaller and further away in the mix vs. the ES3x where the mids are more upfront without being in your face.

It wasn't until I heard the UE11 paired with an iMod and the SR-71A that I really understood and appreciated Bobby's playing in the overall mix of the Grateful Dead. With the UE11 you can hear every note he plays, from where he plays it and you really begin to understand how his playing helped to form and carry on the musical conversation of the complexities of the Grateful Dead's playing. I can hear Weir play with the ES3x, however it isn't as apparent and doesn't stand out as clearly on its own. It is definitely there and I can follow it with the ES3x, however I don't know that I would have noticed, recognized and appreciated it as much with the ES3x without having heard it on the UE11 first.

Shall I continue....?

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #221 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Digihead post on the Westone ES3x vs. UE10 thread..

The UE11 has an inky black background whereas the ES3x has a bit less of that black background. The UE11 paint on an absolute black canvas so that the images are well defined and shaped. I think that the soundstage of the UE11 is a bit wider and deeper than that of the ES3x, although both are killer.

There is just something about the ES3x sound that is intoxicating. To compare the mids (question of the moment...) I went back to what I know...The Grateful Dead. How would Jerry and the boys sound? Would I be able to hear them step up to the mic? Would I hear each of them chiming in on Good Lovin? Would Jerry singing Althea bring me those goosebumps I know so well? YES, YES and YES....

When I listen to Go To Nassau Disc 2 I could close my eyes and see Jerry singing. I could see Bobby up at the mic singing Lost Sailor. I could see Brent over on the right being all wiggy and singing as well. It was an amazing, captivating experience. It put me right in the venue. An undeniable experience of being there with 20,000 of my closest friends...

In comparison, the UE11 have a bigger, deeper soundstage. The highs shimmer a bit more. A bit more refinement and definition. However, the mids don't have that same magic effect. I don't see Jerry up at the mic the way I do when I close my eyes with the ES3x. He sounds great, but sounds a bit smaller and further away in the mix vs. the ES3x where the mids are more upfront without being in your face.

It wasn't until I heard the UE11 paired with an iMod and the SR-71A that I really understood and appreciated Bobby's playing in the overall mix of the Grateful Dead. With the UE11 you can hear every note he plays, from where he plays it and you really begin to understand how his playing helped to form and carry on the musical conversation of the complexities of the Grateful Dead's playing. I can hear Weir play with the ES3x, however it isn't as apparent and doesn't stand out as clearly on its own. It is definitely there and I can follow it with the ES3x, however I don't know that I would have noticed, recognized and appreciated it as much with the ES3x without having heard it on the UE11 first.

Shall I continue....?

To me I think the UE-11 are still the IEM "king". It has a better soundstage and better BASS detail and impact and slightly better HIGHS than the ES3X...So.......UE-11......here......I........come!!!

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #222 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me I think the UE-11 are still the IEM "king". It has a better soundstage and better BASS detail and impact and slightly better HIGHS than the ES3X...So.......UE-11......here......I........come!!!

Wouldnt be so sure...if you read his impressions the ES3x win in other departments. I guess both are awesome and each has its pros and cons. Probably like comparing Hawaian beaches and Cancun ones..too hard to pick a winner.

I wish I could buy the ES3X..

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #223 of 1,871
Yep from reading everyone's impressions, I haven't gotten ANY impression that one was better than the other. It's more about what type of sound you think would suit you best I think. From what I read, although either might be a bit better in one area than the other I personally don't think it can be that huge of a difference so either one is good. Gonna go with the ES3X as my first custom, mostly because I'm afraid of the spotty UE service reports popping up lately and I like mids
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #224 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There...

You misread my statement, but i group the ES3X and UE-11s together in comparison to full size rigs and speakers. I only stated UE-11s because they are the high end customs that I own.

When i said he wasn't looking for the ES3X, i didn't mean that the UE-11s were an alternative, i was saying that i didnt think he was looking for any custom high end iem.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #225 of 1,871
There is too much "reading into the statements" going on here. Step back and read the intent and not just the words.

I get the impression that they are both excellent when I take the entire impressions posted as a whole. "Both are Killer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back